X-ray crystallography

Jonny-R

Hi,

can anybody help me with the following question, since I can't get 'X-ray crystallography for biologists' (or somilar..) by David Blow until after my work is due in, and all the other books are just way too indepth.

The question:
Briefly discuss the relationship between wavelength of radiation used, unit cell dimensions, crystal to film distance and separation of spots on the diffraction image.

I've tried an X-ray crystallography specific forum but it seems rather dead, so perhaps there are some budding X-ray crystallographers here, or people who have covered the unit on their course... maybe a long shot.
It's odd, the 'hard' part of the practical was fine for me, applying the equations and so forth but don't wanna lose easy marks here..

Cheers!

Last edited:

Jonny-R

Managed to get hold of a relevant book which is better, since I can properly reference it.

No help needed now.

Cheers!

LePomS

I see, I dont pay much attention to signatures.

molecular medicine. quite field isnt it.

if medicine fails, become a clinical scientist like me.

Jonny-R

The course structure is quite weird. Some biochemistry, anatomy, clinical aspects of biochemistry, looking at body systems, diseases, some clinical sessions, virology, immune system response.. it's a good one to do before medicine.

I seem to remember your name around the Keele med school sub forum quite a lot the year before I was applying? Or am I wrong.. I ended up getting a couple of offers but flopped in my A-level chemistry.

Things are okay though, except when we're made to do things such as X-ray crstalog haha.

LePomS

lol...yeah i went to keele you see. I studied biochem and neuroscience there. I applied for grad med and didnt succeed. Not sure why, but ah well. I believe I am happier in the job I'm in now, plus i get my masters paid for as well as being paid myself a decent wage. Its all good, plus I love clinical biochem. You know 80% of diagnosis is based on the work done in pathology, i.e biochemistry, haematology etc.

So the patients big picture, is only 20% doctor centred...we do the rest...hahaha. I wont be liked for saying that, but it is fact.

p.s xray crstalog as you put it, was never my favourite...dull.

Jonny-R

Glad that you're happy :D I am keeping my options open considering PhD's and clinical jobs, but I still feel really drawn to medicine, so we'll see what happens.

Nice to hear from you though - strange I remembered your name :)

LePomS

well I hope your happy whatever you do...do keep clinical biochem in mind...you'll be surprised the line of work you end up in.

why is it strange? I'm quite an influential character mr...who can't forget me!? haha.

liberal

im in the same boat as u trying to get into grad med, final bms now, presumed u were a med student and nearly had a mi thinking id have 2 do xrd again