Would a degree in Neuroscience help you get onto the N'surgery rotation in the future

JordanUK

Right dont shout me down on this one like a lot of people on this form would but im 17 and applying to university soon. In the future i really want to be a Neurosurgeon (and always have done) but i was just wondering what biological science i want to do at university the obvious choice seems to be neuroscience
but would this really make a difference when applying for the surgery rotation in speciality training

So the main questions are-
Would a degree in neuroscience be favourable
and
Would a degree in neuroscience help me along in speciality training

(excuse my spelling i know its terrible)

Trauma

i met many people like you, who thought thats what they always wanted to do, but later when they changed their mind.

my advice is to do your A levels, start the medical course during which you can do an intercalated year in neuroscience this will help with your future application or change your mind :)

JordanUK

Yes i totally agree with you but lets just say in theory everything thing i said did happen, would it help?

Trauma

am not clear on what you want to do ? do you want to do the neuroscience degree before your medical course and apply as a graduate?

If i was you i would do the medical course first and the degree intercalated during the third year of medicine , and YES in theory that will strengthen your application.

flyingkilt

It sounds to me that you want to do medicine, but aren't sure thatg you'll get the grades required.

I was in that position when I was 17, and I opted to do a degree in Molecular Genetics. Once at uni I realised this was not my cup of tea, so completed a degree in Neuroscience. As a degree, it will provide you with an extremely good background knowledge prior to medicine, not only in 'Neuro'science, but also general human physiology, the knowledge of fundemental principles such as ion balances, subcellular structures and genetics. I have completed my neuroscience degree and am about to start medicine in September, and I feel a lot more confident about it (even though I wish I could have started medicine 3 years ago).

In the future, like it or not, the pressure on all specialties is going to increase, anything you have that makes you stand out from the next client is helpful in securing your place, so yes is the answer to your question, but consider an intercalated BMSc if you can get into medicine straight away.