Worth applying?

Discussion in 'Edinburgh Medical School' started by garlicbreadman, Apr 8, 2010.

1. garlicbreadman

garlicbreadman New Member

Is it workth applying to Ed if you don't have any sports/musical instruments, awards as extra-curriculars, but have lots of other stuff such as volunteering, work xp, etc?

2. rush919

rush919 New Member

I had no instruments to note down on my application. I did play cricket and badminton but I don't know if they were really that important when it came to getting me the offer. I hear Ed look a lot at your academics (ie GCSE UKCAT) and extra curricular (not necessarily the awards you got from them but it doesn't hurt to have a few) and so if you have that covered I don't see why you don't stand as much chance as anyone else.

My advice is you have all summer to pick up a new sport, you don't have to be playing for the world XI so long as your playing a sport that's enough.

Overall I don't think any single part of your application will make you a weak candidate (eg my UKCAT was 660) but so long as you are a well rounded candidate you have a chance :) Someone has to get an offer. Make sure you play to you strengths when you apply though, it's better to get into a medical school that wasn't on your list of favourites then to get rejected by all of them. Take this from a forced gap year student.

Hope this helped

#2 rush919, Apr 9, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  3. Rippy

Rippy New Member

I dunno if it'd be worth it to be honest. They do supposedly care a lot about extracurriculars, and they count them as separate to work exp/volunteering. As said above, maybe do some sports etc over the summer? It could be worth a shot anyway if you really want to go - you have 4 choices after all.

4. soffee

soffee New Member

Hey garlicbreadman, just sent you a reply to your e-mail, but didn't really cover this point so I'll do it here.

So I'm in Edinburgh now, and my statement didn't have any musical (my rhythm is limited to the hokey-cokey) or sporting achievements, as such. I did weekly dance classes and some achievements in writing, but that wasn't really the focus of my application, and at interviews for other unis, no-one mentioned that. They were FAR more interested in my work experience and voluntary work in the community. My advice is, get yourself and a few mates booked into a charity fun run. They're not difficult (I jogged a 5k), they only take a day of your time and they look great on your app. With summer coming up, there's tonnes about so get involved and raise some money for a charity you care about. That was enough for me.