1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WMS 2012 Applicants thread

Discussion in 'Warwick Medical School' started by snakefisch, Oct 16, 2011.

1. snakefisch

snakefisch New Member

So who has applied for 2012 entry?
    I sent off my application and received their acknowledgement soon after. Who else is with me?

2. AbbyJ

AbbyJ New Member

I am!! :)

3. whiskers

whiskers New Member

I am! I applied yesterday, so haven't received any acknowledgements yet. I have a ukcat of 675, so am a bit concerned...

4. AbbyJ

AbbyJ New Member

I applied last year with an average of 665, and got a rejection without interview because of it ... but who knows whats gonna happen this year! I have 710, and am not feeling safe! xx

5. Medic_88

Medic_88 Member

evening guys. Ive applied too, but only sent it on fri afternoon and haven't heard anything yet.
    i applied last year and went to interview with UKCAT of 685 but said the wrong thing at interview and got a no. I had a detailed email from the uni telling me where i went wrong though, so fingers crossed for this year!

6. Arnold Layne

Arnold Layne New Member

Applied on the 13th, yet to receive acknowledgement from them, but it's only been three days so I'm sure it'll come soon enough :p

7. Profanius

Profanius New Member

Yep, me too. Sent my form off on the 14th so waiting to here back.

Medic_88, what did you say that was so bad. You weren't pro eugenics were you?;)

8. Medic_88

Medic_88 Member

haha, no not quite. I think i forgot where i was in the country and started saying how great PBL is...then realised that Warwick is one of the few which dont use PBL. By this point, the hole i'd dug myself into was much too deep to get out.

At least, im hoping thats the reason. I hope they dont remember/keep notes on last years interviews because i dont think i'll be able to say the total opposite of what i did last year without a few raised eyebrows!

9. Medic_88

Medic_88 Member

Is this your first application Profanius? You've been very prolific if it is ;)

10. Profanius

Profanius New Member

That is a pretty spectacular way to fail an interview - that's up there with getting the name of the University wrong. I'm impressed :)

This is indeed my first application. I've been lurknig around these boards for about two and a half years, but was waiting to finish my part-time degree before applying - looks like that decision is going to cost me!

11. Medic_88

Medic_88 Member

Yes, i can imagine that was a bit disheartening to see the fees rocket up!

The worst part about my whole interview/rejection experience was the fact that warwick pair each candidate up with a medical student chaperone to go into the interview, and on leaving the room she quietly said "well done, that was one of the best i've heard today".
    The rejection email was a bit of a shocker after that. I did get a sincere apology from the admissions team by email when i questioned it with them, but unfortunately it didn't transpire into an automatic offer :D

12. snakefisch

snakefisch New Member

AbbyJ - did Warwick say they rejected you just because of the UKCAT score?
    You've got me worried now :(

13. Medic_88

Medic_88 Member

Dont worry snakefisch, im almost positive i've seen people say on here they got to the selection centre with UKCAT of around 620 or maybe lower.
    I think Warwick look at everything combined (UKCAT, reference, statement etc.) before deciding who makes it to interview, unlike others who decide a definite cut-off.

Have a look through the Warwick threads from this time onwards last year to see what UKCATs the people got and if they went to the selection centre :)

14. whiskers

whiskers New Member

I really hope you're right! Warwick told me that they wouldn't be interviewing anyone below 665 and below 675 is unlikely...however, 675 doesn't guarantee you an interview because they also look at the PS/reference. I got 650 last year and Warwick said that they were rejecting me purely on the basis of that and that they didnt take my PS into consideration...:( However, they told me on the phone that the cut-off might be lower this year...although I'm not sure if that's true!

15. Profanius

Profanius New Member

Like most UKCAT Unis, Warwick do use an arbitrary cut-off (I've heard 665 last year) and then assess PS/Ref and other criteria. In this respect a high UKCAT will not necessarily guarantee you an interview if other application criteria are sub-standard... however a low UKCAT will result in automatic rejection.

The flipside is that no-one knows what the cut-off will be this year or how tuition fee changes will affect application numbers. These forums are definitely quieter than they were this time last year... so that might be some clue.

Last year would have also been especially competitive since many peopole rushed to beat the tuition fee changes.

If it's any consolation the NCL GEP cut-off last year was either 690 or 702.5 (depending on who in the admissions office you talk to) and I've given it a go.

16. whiskers

whiskers New Member

Warwick told me on the phone that they predict the ukcat cut-off to decrease a bit this year (from 2700 to 2660), because they expect less competitive due to the increase in fees. It's a good point that last year people may have rushed to avoid the fees. However, I'm worried that this year may be MORE competitive because those that would've originally gone for 5yr courses are probably now going for the 4yr GEPs.
    These forums are pretty quiet, though!

17. Medic_88

Medic_88 Member

ok, maybe 620 was for another uni? or i dreamt it :confused:

Its still very early days yet anyway. I presume they cant decide a cut off until they've looked at all the applications, which would only be reaching them today as UCAS say 48hr processing from time of submission to the unis receiving them (or longer at deadlines).

Wait until the first emails about interviews start coming through, we'll all be refreshing our inboxs like crazy. And then all over again when the offers/rejections start ;)

18. brokenangel

brokenangel New Member

Acknowledgement off Warwick today so they must be starting to see applications eeeeeeek

19. Medic_88

Medic_88 Member

Me too :)

I received mine at 6.26 am! If its not a robot doing it, i feel sorry for their admissions team.

20. Arnold Layne

Arnold Layne New Member

Yay, received an acknowledgement...!