1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why a Doctor?

Discussion in 'Medical School Interviews' started by Eponine_hugo, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Eponine_hugo

Eponine_hugo New Member

Pls could anyone give me inspiration on what they said for why they want to be a doctor - My reason is genuinely that I want to help people but its so cliche I can't say it so I need some inspiration as I have spent the past few hrs trying to decide what to say :rolleyes: .
    Thanx
    xx :D

2. exms

exms New Member

There's more to it than wanting to help people though, isn't there? Else you could just as easily become a lollipop lady. Or, a more likely point to be brought up at interview, "Why not be a nurse then?".

-- A.

3. Eponine_hugo

Eponine_hugo New Member

Because I want the challenge of diagnosing - my reason for wanting to be a doctor I suppose is more a feeling than something i can put accurately into words. I am really stuck. I also enjoy the science of it and I'd love the opportunity to combine science with being with people and helping people.

4. belis

belis New Member

If I can advice sth serch the site, this question was asked 1000 times. Unfortuantely the answers are not very inspiring. Just think honestly why you want to do it and prepere some coherent answer. Or if you are as lazy as me do not prepere and improwise during interviu. I could not think about decent reason, went for interviu hoping I am not going to be asked that (I was sure they will ask me in Manchester but naive as I am I was still hoping). When the question came I just let my entusiasm shine through all the waffel I said ;).

5. bert

bert New Member

status, money, an innate yearn for a stethascope. i think it is probably influenced by the media portrayal as well. saying that you are interested in helping people is important as well. a love / amazement of biology and its relationship to disease. its a very personal thing. just being honest about why you want to do it is the most importnat thing.

bert

6. Vixter

Vixter New Member

i had similar reasons eponine, just a gut feelin more than anything else. I just told them this. Then backed it up with love of ppl an science etc The most important thing is that this comes from you, and noone else, tho im sure you knew that already

7. skye73

skye73 New Member

I found that the most difficult question of all. I think most people that want to do medicine have decided a long time ago and that desire gets stronger and stronger with time but the reason wears away.

You have to sit down and think about it. I was torn between saying why I really wanted to be a doctor and what they wanted to hear. As i was applying to medical school I got a very strong impression that it was a game and you just had to say whatever it takes to win. But it isn't, its a lot easier and more worthwhile if you think and get it clear in your head why you want to do it- even if it takes you hours to work it out.

Your liking of science, people and helping people is fine, but think about it further. At my last interview they didn't ask me "why do you want to be a doctor", they said "now I know you'll like science, working with people and helping others but why do you really want to be a doctor?".

My advise is make it unique, original and most importantly honest...then you'll be fine.

8. bert

bert New Member

i love the idea of it being me agaist nature and being the one thing stopping. it being the combination of my knowledge, instinct and practical skill that makes a difference. i want to be able to be able to walk into any situation and be able to take control of it, like an accident or something where you can tell someone to do something - phone for an ambulance or something - and there is something inthe way that you say it that makes people feel able to do it no matter what else is going on around them.

i know that sounds really pretentious and smug but thats how i feel about it

i want to be able to go home at the end of the day and think today i saved someones life or i helped someone, someone will remember me because i did something right.

bert

9. Eponine_hugo

Eponine_hugo New Member

Bert - that is brilliant - a summary of part of how I feel about it - you are an angel!!!
    :D

10. bert

bert New Member

they will remember you if you cock up as well but thats by the by

bert

11. Vixter

Vixter New Member

LMAO

12. Eponine_hugo

Eponine_hugo New Member

LMOA??? Oh dear - I feel so old!!! :confused: :confused:

13. bert

bert New Member

laughing my ass off

but it sounds a touch sarcastic to my ear

bert

14. mel87

mel87 New Member

i suppose saying "i want to help" is oversaid, but how you deliver it could make all the difference. instead of just saying "i want to help"...putting in a very good example of you doing just that will help your case. my 2 cents worth....

what helps heaps is the enthusiasm when delivering your answer (body language and facial expression, tone of voice).....dont go all twitchy or sqeaky on your interviewer though.....eek

15. ohler

ohler New Member

i gotta second what mel said. IF they're interviewing loads of people they will probably come across the same reasons as yours or at least something like it, so i think you just got let go,let all the enthusiasm and desire you have to become a doctor out.

I think this question why do you want to be a doctor? is definatley the most important. It forces everyone who has always said i want to be a doctor to address the actually reasons why they want this career. Like a load of other people i found it hard to put a fealing into words, but is a feeling enough of a reason to want to do medicine? I think you need specifics,which work experience will prob help with.

Commentin on somethin that was said before about the admissions process being a game that you just gotta know how to play: i think this is true to a certain extent, it is easy to put in your time volunteering,research what a good doctor is,basically build up a ps and interview answers that they want to hear. And in fairness that is grand, but i think it comes back again to the question why do you want to be a doctor? As long as you've addressed this issue honestly within yourself,then i think you can tell them whatever the hell you like as your reasons for being a doctor.

The whole admissions list of things they look for is not about them,its about the qualities you have,you can demonstrate qualities which you don't actually have,ie bein a team player,how many people know someone who plays on a team and are just not team players? The asmissions process is not a big list that you tick things off as you do them,but its a way of testing yourself for all the qualities needed to be a doctor.

Anywho waffle over!

16. anup

anup New Member

I think you've answered your own question. Combine this perhaps with some sort of story and you should be on the way. I.e how you have personally been affected if you have, or just say what you have said above. Job done :)

17. GDM

GDM New Member

I have to say my reasons for wanting to get into medicine have changed dramatically over the last two years.

Before March 03 I wanted nothing more than to be a psychiatrist because I wanted to know how the mind works why certain things cause certain things :confused:.

In March 03 right after my 17th birthday my grandfather had his first heart attack. He actually had the heart attack six days before he said anything to anyone and by the time he went into hospital 70% of the heart tissue was dead.

He had a stent put in and was sent home on fifteen different tablets which he was told he would be on for the rest of his days.

He had to be re-admitted twice after this and on the second time he was given a pacemaker.

He has since been back in hospital four times, had his medication changed four times, the most recent being two weeks ago.

He has been told that there is nothing more that can be done for him as too much of the heart was damaged from the original attack.

What really pisses me off is that he is only sixty-three having had the first attack when he was sixty-one. He never smoked, rarely drank and was extremely fit, refereeing at least two schoolboy football matches a week.
    If someone like that can get to the point where he won't actually call an ambulance because he doesn't want to go to hospital anymore and is actually hoping that his next admission would be his last than I want to try everything I can to prevent other people and their familes from going through the same hell of waiting and wondering as my family and I are.

I don't think I would actually say all that in an interview because the thought of using that as some sort of excuse to use in an interview is a little disgusting to me but that is my reason for wanting to get into medicine.

18. burto

burto New Member

I used patients expectations as my 'why a doctor'. I said patients often present with an expectation of how ill they are, and the job of a doctor is to narrow that expectation. You as the medical practitioner understand how ill they are and your role is to narrow these expectations. Sounds weird but worked for me lol

19. drnikki

drnikki New Member

OK My 10 Reasons of becoming a Doctor:
    1. Employment
    2. Money
    3. Recognition
    4. Status
    5. The name Doctor!!!!
    6. Makes me similar to God...remember when we graduate we have licence to give and take away life!
    7. Get a cute partner...LOL!
    8. Helping pple of course!
    9. Blood
    10.I wanna die satisfied that i have achived something for myself!!!!!!

Bet these reasons is not only my mind but it is in your minds too uh!!! There you go Eponine! NEway nice meeting you and nice thread!
    Nikki :D:D:D

20. Vixter

Vixter New Member

I agree with 1 and 8

The rest leaves me thinking.......Oh My God