Who’s applying for 2011?

Discussion in 'Cardiff Medical School' started by Basinboy, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Basinboy

Basinboy New Member

Who’s applying for 2011?
    Also, anyone who didn’t get in for 2010, but got the necessary grades,
    applying for Cardiff?

2. lexipower

lexipower New Member

hiya - yeah im a reapplicant too! got my grades, and trying again for 2011 :) here did you apply last time?
    xx

3. lexipower

lexipower New Member

sorry *where did you apply last time

4. Basinboy

Basinboy New Member

I applied for Cambridge, Liverpool, Cardiff and peninsula. I applied for cambridge because the guy who
    helped me with my app said my predicted grades for A2 were good enough to get an interview there. He
    was sort of right because I got a date for an interview from them but they canceled it about a week after
    the BMAT results, which i didnt do too bad in all fairness. Cardiff i got rejected because of my GCSE scores,
    so obviously I didnt get an interview. Peninsula rejected me. Got an interview up in liverpool that went fab.
    However I missed out a D grade I got at GCSE, which I was told to would be fine to leave out, but Liverpool
    was like emailing for me to put that D onto my form. When it couldnt be done it was like a few days later I got
    rejected and put on the reserve list.
    But I did awesome at my A levels so im gonna give it another shot. Applying to cardiff, liverpool, southampton
    and BSMS.
    Gutted I didnt get in this year though..

5. Basinboy

Basinboy New Member

O yea but i emailed Cardiff about my GCSEs and my a level. Turns out my score has gone from 19 to 24.4.
    So they said based on that, they would recomend me to apply. That made my day on results day

6. lexipower

lexipower New Member

sounds like you had a lot of bad luck, but yeah your a2 grades are amazing so im sure youl be fine this time.
    good about your gcse score too!
    idk why i didnt get in last time, i think it probs was partly cos i only got 630 in my ukcat, hoping to improve on that this time
    i applied to kings, edinburgh, nottingham and birmingham - apparently brum needed 9A*s at gcse and i only had 8
    and kings edinburgh and notts all need higher ukcat scores than mine i think. but hey iv got my work experience and stuff
    to make my personal statement more intersting, so fingers crossed for 2011!
    yeah i was gutted too - what are you doing in your gap year?

7. lexipower

lexipower New Member

*more work experience

8. Basinboy

Basinboy New Member

Im going to be working voluntary at a charity and just gonna get a job really for money. Ive got a weeks
    work exp in a hospital where I saw 12 operations and did alot of shadowing. I cared for an elderly woman
    with MS and an alcohol problem for two weeks on my own. I fancy doing work for a charity because its
    something I can keep doing throughout the year.
    BTW I did rubbish in the UKCAT (580). Didnt realise I had till the end of october to do it. Had massive
    problems then with the payment because no one in my house had any type of card they accepted so that delayed
    me booking. Then finally got a date and had just over a week to practice. Got the 600 book a week
    before my date. I could never get the practice test to work on my computer either. Really unlucky with it.
    But someone in my school sat the UKCAT a few days before me and got 585, so I didnt feel to bad with my score.
    I don't think my UKCAT is what let me down. Just my GCSEs.
    What you doing for your gap year?

9. lexipower

lexipower New Member

so was that your ukcat score from last year? have you not sat it this year yet then? i havent lol im delaying it til the last minute - i hate the ukcat with a passion
    oh about the questions on your computer btw, do you have windows vista? cos i do and i couldnt get them to work either, and so i called up the ukcat ppl and they told me how to fix it. ofc i had no idea what they were talking about and got my dad to do it lol but you have to get rid of the 'UAC' whatever that is, and install the latest version of java. dunno if that helps
    yeah pretty similar about the gap year, im applying for healthcare assistant jobs at hospitals, and probs gonna work in a bar or something for some extra money :p and then volunteering at a palliative care place a couple of hours a week. and then im going to africa a bit later in the year to do some medical volunteer work. but atm im srsly stressing cus hospitals are taking so long to get back to me about jobs - im worried i wont have anything by the time we reapply =S

10. Basinboy

Basinboy New Member

Nah that 580 isnt my score for this year. Gonna hopefully improve it this time. My date is for the end
    of september. I tried applying for a couple of jobs in local hospitals but they would get back to me
    saying they wanted someone more permenant.
    im gonna try and get a bar job. The charity im working for is pretty good though.

11. lexipower

lexipower New Member

yeah mines end of september too, 24th. really need to get practicing properly, im shiiiiite at abstract reasoning
    ah, how permanant? cos im hoping to work for about 5/6 months...i hope they dont say that to me cos i dont really have a backup plan =/ i was convinced i wouldnt get my grades and so didnt really apply for healthcare jobs early enough. bit of a mistake lol. sounds good, which charity are you working for?

12. Basinboy

Basinboy New Member

The charity is called the The Gate. Its a charity that tries to help people improve their talents in the arts
    such as music, acting and dancing. Also do weddings as well.
    The abstract reasoning stuff is pointless im my opinion. I know the 600 book tries to make out that its
    usefull but its a load of rubbish.
    When i applied for jobs in a hospital they were all permenant because they were the only ones there.
    Pretty sure they didnt wanted someone who would be there for longer than just a year.
    I was told my a med student before that unis dont mind what work you do, longs in your personal statement
    you can say why it is usefull.
    So whats your first choice for uni?

13. lexipower

lexipower New Member

ah that sounds fun, plus its not something everyones gonna do so youl stand out :)
    and yeah i agree about AR...tbh the whole of the ukcat is a joke, how is it relevant to being a doctor?? and yeah i wont be able to talk about my job etc in my personal statement cos il probs only just hav got one when i send it off...hoepfully il get interviews and i can talk about it then!! i didnt even get any interviews last year, straight rejections...hope i get a couple this time
    first choice..umm idk, i think probs UCL, but tbh id love to go any of my choices (theyre in my signature)
    how about you?

14. Basinboy

Basinboy New Member

Well I'd like to get into cardiff so I can stay in wales. But I'm not fussy, id go anywhere that would have me. Id get fussy if i get a few offers. But my choice in unis i because they are the ones i like.
    That sucks about you not getting any interviews. But im more than sure you will get interviews at ur unis and get offers. Just got to keep urself busy and not go off track.

15. jdlee93

jdlee93 New Member

hey hows 700 for ukcat?? my lowest was 560 on verbal reasoning is that gonna drag me down??

16. Basinboy

Basinboy New Member

700 is well above average. I dont know if a uni would get funny about a 560 all fairness on one part.
    I dont think Cardiff are that big on the scores, they just want you to sit the exam. I hope i get 700.

17. paranoid-android

paranoid-android New Member

What exactly do Cardiff value? I'm in the same position of getting 4 rejections last year but got AAAa in A levels so im reapplying... last year I got 667 av in UKCAT with 600 as lowest..

18. lexipower

lexipower New Member

they look at your ukcat but they dont care too much. they assess your best 9 GCSEs so its good to have good gcses. this is their selection criteria:

• Medical motivation and awareness of the career
    • caring ethos and sense of social awareness
    • sense of responsibility
    • non academic interests and personal achievements
    • study skills
    • referee’s report

19. Civvy

Civvy New Member

I'm applying, currently on A2M 8D

20. dorothyhychong

dorothyhychong New Member

i suddenly find myself at a very disadvantaged role - UKCAT average of 695, lowest 600 and highest 810. And I'm not taking A-levels, since I'm doing American system (we have tests called SAT, AP, and ACT).
    anyone know about cadriff's cut-off score? and how many intl students get in? Thanks xoxo