1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to Wear (girls!)

Discussion in 'Medical School Interviews' started by Cinder5, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Cinder5

Cinder5 New Member

Hi!

After trying for nearly what seems like FOREVER to get into med school, I have an interview and I havent got a clue what girls are expected to wear! Does it have to be a trouser suit or a skirt suit or a dress? And what sort of colours? I want to wear something appropriate however I dont know if im allowed to wear something sliightly quirky so as to show off my personality?
    In the end, I just want to wear the right thing so as to not be penalised, so from your experiences, what is the norm?

Thanks! X

2. mikku

mikku New Member

uhm post pics and perhaps we can help you out lol...if in doubt visit your local hospital and stare at lady doctors :D

3. kingdizzii

kingdizzii Member

I'd say go for a skirt suit, the skirt should not be too short. This is what my cousin sister did for her dentistry interviews and was stressin out like you, she asked a ridiculous amount of people.

Look smart but people were tellin her no with the trousers, I'm
    not sure it would make any difference but seeing the amount of people she asked and the answer she got a skirt suit will do you well.

Eh quick google search and this is basically what my cousin wore:

http://cn1.kaboodle.com/hi/img/2/0/0/152/3/AAAAAs0Zo6QAAAAAAVIxbA.jpg?v=1222336042000

It was winter :p

4. Jess11

Jess11 New Member

I would say wear what you feel comfortable in as that will help you relax in your interview. Most people at my interview were in dark suits but I couldn't think of anything worse than being in a skirt/trouser suit so went for a spotty dress that showed off my personality. I felt relaxed wearing it rather than stiff and it didn't stop me getting an offer!! If anything, wearing something different from the norm (but still appropriate for the situation) may help them remember you more.

This is what I wore - http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-fGrOIqBC3.../s1600/dorothy-perkins-rust-spot-sundress.jpg

5. Dr.Rahma

Dr.Rahma New Member

Such as they said

#5 Dr.Rahma, Jul 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  6. Sam357

Sam357 New Member

Interviews

To be honest theyre just looking at whether you have the potential to be a doctor or not. Theyve seen it on paper, now they want to see it in your personality and your image.
    Dress like a doctor. You dont have to wear a suit but look smart. I didnt wear a suit. When i thought of doctors i just remembered on my work experience especially that they all just seemed to have a shirt snd trousers. So thats what i wore.
    Smart trousers and a white shirt with some wedges with a little heel. (i needed a little heel for the confidence)
    Everyone on the day was wearing suits though, i have to say i felt odd, feeling not as "dressed up" but i got the offer so i dont think it mattered too much.

Just remember keep smiling and they LOVE enthusiasm. Make it come through in your tone of voice. Look eager when you talk. So many people got rejected that looked awesome but obviously didnt say say what was important.

Just be yourself and prepare yourself. Do your research, that way you will be prepared for any question they can throw at you.

GOOD LUCK!

7. blondibabe

blondibabe New Member

Well we'd all like to believe otherwise but research on job interviews has shown conclusively that most interviewers make up their mind in the first 30 seconds based purely on the appearance of the candidate.

Now this may not be entirely the same as a med school interview but first impressions DO count and could affect how they score your answers for the rest of the interview, so play safe and dress SMART. Skirt or trouser suit it doesn't matter, both are acceptable.

Under no circumstances be quirky or "try to show your personality" they really don't care.

And as for "be yourself" that is terrible advice, you need to prepare for this and tell them what they want to hear.

8. jcak

jcak New Member

If you tell them what they want to hear, they'll hear the generic stereotypical cliches they hear every time they reject a Personal Statement. You do have to have an element of yourself come through at interview, otherwise what can you bring to their school that someone else couldn't?

A skirt suit would probably be the ideal choice, any sort of suit as long as it's smart though will do the job.

9. Dr_Scully

Dr_Scully New Member

I'm planning to wear a giraffe costume.

And earrings.

10. snakefisch

snakefisch New Member

jcak I'm confused, I thought you were a bloke.
    This thread is pretty funny. Glad I came across it.

11. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

Please will post a picture of you in this outfit? :)
    Oh and tell me when your SGUL interview is as I will HAVE to be there!

12. Dr_Scully

Dr_Scully New Member

Haha @Martigan - I do have a giraffe mask and it may have to make an appearance....gotta stand out these days ya know :)

13. malteser_seren

malteser_seren New Member

How about hair? I'm female and have long wildly curly hair. I can just about tame it while its curly so it looks fairly neat and its about the length of halfway down the top of my arm. But I have the tendency to worry that its frizzy when it's curly so I am smoothing it down fairly often which might be a difficulty habit to stop in just 8 days before my interview... This probably seems a bit silly to ask but do people think I should straighten it so it looks neater? It straightens very well luckily. OR should I tie it back? (I hate it tied back but if it looks more professional...), or half up half down? Or in a plait?

What are other girls here doing?

Seren xx

14. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

I would suggest you have it however what makes you feel the most confident.

15. jcak

jcak New Member

As Marty says, most confident, however also somewhat professional. I presume you're dressing smart, so best to compliment that look and look smart.

16. malteser_seren

malteser_seren New Member

Thanks :) I think I will probably straighten it and tie it half up half down so its not all in my face and I don't play with it haha. If anyone comes up with the best hairstyle ever for interview I'd be interested to learn of it! :p xx

17. Alyssie

Alyssie New Member

What about navy blue skirt and jacket with white shirt. Hair pulled into ponytail and put a bow on it? :)

18. ElenaMedical

ElenaMedical New Member

Take your favourite shirt you feel confident in, the rest should fit with the colour etc. for sure. Don´t wear white shirt/black skirt/black shoes whatever is recommended if you don´t feel OK wearing it. You will need your confidence much..:)