1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is a 2.1 honours degree equivalent?

Discussion in 'Irish Medical School Admissions' started by Nicos, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Nicos

Nicos New Member

Hi,

I´m interested in applying for the graduate medicine course. I´m not from Ireland or the UK, so I don´t have an 2H1 honours degree.

I asked UCD what the 2H1 honours degree equivalent is in my home country, and they said it should have an 8/10 average. On their site they also state "or
    an equivalent qualification noting that a 2H1 corresponds to a 60% average, or a B minus or 3.08 GPA equivalent." http://www.ucd.ie/economics/graduate...mmes/ma/#entry

I've looked for grades conversion tables, and this is what I found ( Comparing UK Degree Qualifications )

Bachelors H2.1 (Eire)

=

* Bachelor degree (courses from 2002):
    * Doctoraal
    * Getuigschrift Hoger Beroepsonderwijs (HBO)

(The Netherlands)
    Overall average of 7.0 to 7.9

How did UCD establish that a 2H1 corresponds with an 8.0? Shouldn't there be a universal conversion table?

Thanks.

2. Vmash

Vmash New Member

Hi Nicos,
    In Ireland an Honours Degree takes for years to complete (three years in the UK). What determines if you have a 1st (1.1), 2.1, 2.2 or 3.0 depends on your final grade in your last year or your average on graduating.
    A 1.1 is anything over 70%, a 2.1 is 60% and over, 2.2 50% and a 3rd class is anything below that. So depending on what your final year grade is you can see where you fall into.
    BTW, I think you should go with what they have on their website as sometimes different people (in the same college) can give conflicting information.
    Hope it helps.

PS. The above applies to the UK as well.X

3. Nicos

Nicos New Member

Thanks

In The Netherlands it takes three years to complete a university bachelor degree. There are no honours/ordinary degrees, everyone gets the same kind of degree, which is 180 ECTS.

The problem is that there are no official guidlines as to what an honours degree equivalent is.

4. Nicos

Nicos New Member

Sorry, for some reason I cannot edit my previous message.

Well, that's the problem. We don't have percentages.

5. nabbe

nabbe New Member

Do you have grading 1-5, or? I'm from the EU and got offers in the UK with a 80% or 4.11/5 Bachelor's degree (of 180ECTS). I do also have a Master's with a 4.03/5 (of 120ECTS)

6. Nicos

Nicos New Member

Grading is 1-10.

7. Vmash

Vmash New Member

In the UK it takes 3 years to complete a degree probably because they have AS/A levels where you don't go straight from secondary school/high school to university unlike Eire as we don't have A levels.

8. Vmash

Vmash New Member

If you are using the GPA system a 2.1H will be about 3.0 GPA I think but don't quote me ;)
    In Ireland you don't need a masters for graduate medicine as they take your first degree. Actually your ECTS from your undergrad degree corresponds to mine as I think a four year degree gives you 180 ECTS but does not give it a class ie 1.1, 2.1.
    But, your grades sound great and if its good enough for the UK uni then it will be good enough for Ireland I guess lol!

9. Vmash

Vmash New Member

Apologies, I didn't realise I was replying nabbe's post.

10. Nicos

Nicos New Member

11. Vmash

Vmash New Member

If your grade is within that range, then I'm sure colleges here will accept it as equivalent to an Irish 2.1.

12. Nicos

Nicos New Member

Yes, my grade is within that range, fortunately.

Unfortunately, UCD said that I need an 8.0 average GPA, which is according to that table a first class honours degree. I'm going to e-mail this table to them and I hope they will change their entry requirements.

13. Vmash

Vmash New Member

Is there somewhere on your college/uni website where it converts this? If so send them a copy and see if you can speak to someone in person if possible.
    Have you tried contacting RCSI, UCC and UL?

14. Nicos

Nicos New Member

No, unfortunately, there is no table that indicates how to convert grades.

I've found another table. This table, from Shell, indicates the same:

Ireland 2.1 = 7.0-7.9 The Netherlands

Graduate reference table - Careers

I emailed UCC, UL and RCSI, but they haven't responded in three weeks. Well, maybe they're on holiday, who knows?

15. Persian_Empress

Persian_Empress New Member

So, the University GPA is calculated based on the last year of the program?

16. oxymoron

oxymoron New Member

Depends on the university & course. Some are last year only, some take the two last years, 50:50, 30:70, or anything else that the university comes up with.

17. mezza

mezza New Member

I assumed this meant my GPA was okay as I got the email below in the spring. Is anybody else really sick of waiting. I've heard that you have to wait until 1 August to hear anything. Is this true? Does anybody ever find out earlier? Every five seconds someone is asking me what I'm doing in the fall. I would really like to be able to plan my life at least a little bit... Has anyone found any better forums than NMM for information? I tried boards.ie but the posts are really old.

"You have applied for Graduate Entry to Medicine in 2012.

The institutions concerned have reviewed your application and based on the
    documentation received, they have deemed you eligible to compete for a place in
    Graduate Medicine.

GAMSAT scores will now be used as the sole instrument to rank applicants for the
    Graduate Medicine programme."

18. oxymoron

oxymoron New Member

you're not going to hear from them any earlier. The places are offered in August, to the applicants with the highest GAMSAT scores until all the places are filed. For this reason it has to happen at the same time for everyone. Unfortunately it's always very late.

19. beibicris

beibicris New Member

20. Darius

Darius New Member

Hi, evetything you need is here on the grb uk site search for international-degree-equivalents

In my county
    1st - 9.5 and above
    2:1 - 8
    2:2 - 7