What exactly is a staff grade neurosurgeon??

Paul@SUFC

i was wondering in terms of the career ladder for neurosurgeons could somebody please explain to me what is a staff grade neurosurgeon

Many Thanks in advance

alex MD

A staff grade post is a non-training post, i.e. it allows the government to have doctors in posts with the same/similar levels of experience to a consultant but they can get away with paying them lower salaries (I think, although I'm sure the MTAS folk would beg to differ ;)). In terms of neurosurgery, I'm not entirely sure what a staff grade position would encompass, as neurosurgery is such a consultant driven specialty. Hazarding a guess, I'd say since neurosurgery is so competitive, these positions could be filled by neurosurgery ST applicants; the extra year of experience in neurosurgery is another string to their bow. Although, currently ST applicants (in any speciality I think) can only have 1 year in a staff grade/FTSTA post. I'm only a med applicant but from reading around I think that's a rough outline. Current medics and doctors will give better info. Hope it helped (if it's right) :)

Last edited:

Arch_Angel

Actually, neurosurgery is the second easiest to get into after MaxFax (in which you need a dentistry degree too).

I'm not sure if this data applies just to my area or the whole of the UK. Either way, it's one of the easier surgical specialities to get into and currently there's no second set of selection.

That said, I'm interested in it, so get lost :)

alex MD

Actually, neurosurgery is the second easiest to get into after MaxFax (in which you need a dentistry degree too).

I'm not sure if this data applies just to my area or the whole of the UK. Either way, it's one of the easier surgical specialities to get into and currently there's no second set of selection.

That said, I'm interested in it, so get lost :)
I'm hoping you're being sarcastic saying neurosurgery is the second easiest surgical speciality to get into ;) It's usually around 1000 applicants a year for 5/6/7 posts (I was told anyway). By not having a second set of selection, that means it's run-through training right i.e get into ST1 and you don't have to 're-apply' for ST3?

Arch_Angel

The stats in a leaflet I read (Called something like "Your Surgical Career" or something) said otherwise. While there is still much competition it doesn't seem as bad as the others. I'll try and find it so I can quote the proper stats, link people to it and know if it only counts for the ABM trust.

And yea, at the moment (again, according to my trusty leaflet) you don't have to re-apply.

Notice I'm in wales and there's nothing more the WAG likes to do than publish their own stuff :) It may not apply to England. I'll try and find out for you.

alex MD

The stats in a leaflet I read (Called something like "Your Surgical Career" or something) said otherwise. While there is still much competition it doesn't seem as bad as the others. I'll try and find it so I can quote the proper stats, link people to it and know if it only counts for the ABM trust.

And yea, at the moment (again, according to my trusty leaflet) you don't have to re-apply.

Notice I'm in wales and there's nothing more the WAG likes to do than publish their own stuff :) It may not apply to England. I'll try and find out for you.
Sorry, I came across as a bit of a prick there (glad I phrased that sentence right ;)) It does seem a very interesting speciality, is plastic surgery by any chance the most competitive :p? I thought that was the case with neurosurgery being run through! Anywhere you can find that leaflet online? What's ABM trust, is that Swansea's trust?

Arch_Angel

It's the old Swansea trust merged with some others. Stands for something in Welsh.

I think cardiac surgery is the most competative, with something like the figures you quotes above. I'll have a look tomorrow, it's probably burried on my kitchen table and someone in my house has a placement early tomorrow so I can't go banging around.

Like I said, I'll see if there's a website.

Bambi

Applicants per post = 10, if you get to the selection centre stage you have a pretty good chance of getting a job somewhere, but it's a national selection process so it might not be where you want.