what are my chances??

Discussion in 'Australian Medical School Entry' started by thereisnospoon, Apr 18, 2008.

1. thereisnospoon

thereisnospoon New Member

hey im singaporean and my A level grades are AAB (A for math and bio, B for chem) or 14 points on conversion. im aware most med schs in australia for undergrad medicine set the min. requirements at AAA (or 15 pts) and i obviously do not qualify for them. however for those tt i qualify (ie only uni of adelaide and uwa), what are my chances?? have my less-than-brilliant grades already placed me in a situation where it is almost impossible to get into med sch such tt even faring decently in any other admissions aspect (eg interview, aptitude test, etc) has little bearing on the outcome?

is there anyone who has gotten such grades but has made it to med sch??

2. superman88

superman88 New Member

hello thereisnospoon... i'm also from singapore jc, i got AAB as well, and same grade for the three subjects you mentioned above.but I dont want to do medicine, i want to do dentistry.Well i heard my friend's friend got into medicine in UNSW.It requires 14 points.So just hope for the best..Another option would be to take medicine degree at UK.Some universities have quite lineant entry requirement such as Cardiff, southampton or sheffield.But if u really want to do medicine at UK, you better quickly take UKCAT, it's ending soon. I think for the time being you should find some work experience to make up ur CV.A short humanitarian work or voluntary work for around 3-5 months will definitely impress the interviewers.Obviously, meeting the entry requirement is one condition to be considered into the med sch.But they also look at other non-academic achievement.Consider doing community service at singapore, and don't ever forget to mention it during your interview.If u have worked, dont just mention what is your position and whether u like it or not.Explain what u've learned through your working experiences.Dont give up, it can be done.

3. thereisnospoon

hi superman88, thanks for your reply:)

i've actually been advised that with my kind of grades, it'd be difficult to get into a UK med sch. i have a friend who applied with forecast results/predicted grades last yr and got a conditional offer of AAB from one UK sch though. but for now, im only considering australia.

btw which dentistry schs have u applied for? and good luck with your applications:)

4. superman88

superman88 New Member

well, i only applied for dentistry at adelaide, and i've done PQA, now waiting for the oral asessment.It should be around end of oct or early nov.So, currently i am looking for some voluntary job overseas, there is one volunteer program at sierra leone, africa.Hopefully, i can do job there.. haha, wanna join me?

5. thereisnospoon

hey superman88..i have also applied to adelaide and done the pqa though i think i screwed it up. aren't the interviews in mid sep? think i read that somewhere on their website. and since i've not been called up for one, i think my chances are close to zilch.

btw just curious but why do you look specifically for overseas volunteer opportunities? i mean it's exciting and all but sierra leone is kinda extreme:p what sort of jobs are you looking for? for me im currently enrolled in a local uni already so can't go away just like that...

6. superman88

superman88 New Member

hello thereisnospoon have you checked your e-mail?.I just received mine today, i am shortlisted for oral asessment on the 16th of september.About the voluteer program,basically the work will be something like giving presentation about HIV/AIDS and how to prevent them.We will also work to build road/pavement and rennovating some houses in Sierra Leone.There are many other jobs, the agent will try to match ur capabilities with the jobs that are available, so need not to worry.