Welsh student GEM 2012/2013 funding situation.

Discussion in 'Swansea Medical School' started by H5aNy1, Jun 29, 2011.

1. H5aNy1

H5aNy1 New Member

I gave Swansea GEM a call today to ask about the funding situation for Welsh Students for 2012/2013. I was told that no final decisions have been made at the moment but that 'documents' regarding tuition fees/ had been been delivered to them today. I was also given another number to call (something along the lines of moneydocs) who told me that a final decision for welsh students is expected mid-late July.

Just thought this might be useful information for any welsh students as the decisions made by the government yesterday do not apply to us. However one would assume that we will likely recieve to same funding package as English students...fingers crossed.

2. Gog

Gog New Member

Does anybody know what the latest is on the funding situation for Welsh students for 2012/13?

3. sweyne

sweyne New Member

Ok this is getting near to the start date. Do any other students with Welsh residency have an issue with the tuition fee element of their loan. Student finance Wales and the local authority say there is a technical issue in the awarding of loans to students starting the GEM in Sept 2012. They have already approved the maintenance loan. I have been told to take the letter I have had from the local authority stating that when I pay the student contribution of £3465 that the balance will be paid in the form of a tuition fee loan when the technical issue has been sorted out. I am at a loss to understand why it is taking so long since the tuition fees were decided some months ago and my application went in at the end of April. Guess what I am looking for is other people in the same boat. There is always comfort in numbers!!

4. Gog

Gog New Member

Yes, I've had te same letter - so we're all in the same boat if that's any consolation.