Welcome to the McGill Medical School Forum!

Discussion in 'McGill Medical School' started by Admin, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Admin

Admin Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi folks,

Welcome to the McGill Medical School Forum.

Feel free to post any questions about McGill Medical School here.

Chris

KathyMh likes this.
  2. bianca_ragusa

bianca_ragusa New Member

I plan on applying to McGill Pre-Med Program next year and I was wondering if taking the MCATs are a pre-requisite for this program.

3. Maria87

Maria87 New Member

McGill Medical school

hey
    I have never heard of this medical school. what are the entry requirements? is it for graduates as well.. or is it a private medical school?

thanx

4. Scottish Chap

Scottish Chap Super Moderator

They are a 4-year graduate medical school in Canada. 10 places are reserved for internationals every year. Requirements: GPA of 3.5+ (between at least a B+ to A- average all four years) and 30+ on the MCAT (Medical College Admissions Test). You would also have to secure your own funds - tuition is around 30K per year. I hope that helps.

5. saffatrolley

saffatrolley New Member

hello, i am a final year medical student and i wonder if anyone knows any international residents that may be able to give me a little advice about the very confusing business of sorting out all the exams and immigration requirements i need to come over...

thanks!

6. Scottish Chap

Exams required: USMLE Step 1, USMLE Step 2CK and Step 2CS. http://www.nbme.org/programs-services/medical-students/USMLE.html
    Credentialing certificate required: ECFMG: http://www.ecfmg.org/
    Visa Required: J-1: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis

7. saffatrolley

saffatrolley New Member

thank you for the reply scottish chap but is your advice intended for the USA, I am interested in applying to McGill in Montreal Quebec. I know that I will need to do an equivalence exam and then 2 more exams afterwards. I wonder if anyone knows if I can start the process before I have actually graduated...if anyone is reading this that is currently at McGill then I would very much like to hear from you!

Thank you

8. Scottish Chap

If you intend to apply to McGill as an international student, you will be made to sign a contractual agreement that states you will not be eligible to apply for a residency position in Canada. I know a couple of internationals who graduated with their MD from McGill, and they ultimately did their residency in the U.S. The Canadian equivalent pre-specialty board exams are the MCC QE parts 1 and 2.

Canada is notoriously difficult for foreign doctors to become licensed, though not impossible. Even Canadian citizens who attend medical school in the U.S. find it very hard to return. Again, the MCC QE parts 1 and 2 will be required for you as a foreign physician.

#8 Scottish Chap, Oct 22, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2007
  9. nexium

nexium New Member

hi

I wan to knew how i can apply for elective clerkship in this university? wt is the requirment?

tanx

10. PatchJoe

PatchJoe New Member

Hi. I'm a Quebec Resident (I was born in quebec), and i'm doing my undergrad in the US, so I will be applying as In province, right? Assuming that's correct, how many spots are open for In-state non Med-P applicants? And are those spots usually more competitive than the spots for Med-P? I have a mediocre GPA (3.7), and I'm expecting at least a 30 on the MCATs, which I will be taking next week (i've been averaging 33-35 on the practice tests). Do I really have a chance? My extracurriculars are wide. I've done a buttload of shadowing (a lot, I kid you not). I've also done volunteer time in a hospital, and am involved in a lot of extracurrics. So overall, do I have a decent shot? Or am I better off taking a year off (not really sure where that would get me. Canadian schools only care about undergrad grades...Is it over for me?)? Thanks

11. KathyMh

KathyMh New Member

Hey!
    I'm an international student, I'm really interested in McGuills Pre-Med program... Is there a way to apply as an international student?