1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Warning to Mature Students taking A Levels for Med entry (non-grad)

Discussion in 'A-Levels' started by katalinapr, Dec 13, 2013.

1. katalinapr

katalinapr New Member

Hey,
    After a chat with a university admissions advisor today, I just thought I would give a few of you a heads up in case it is useful.
    I was informed today that for the majority of mature students applying for medicine that are not taking the grad route you need 3 A Levels and an AS Level to even be considered and that any A Levels that you may have previously taken at school etc, they expire/are no longer valid after two years of taking them.
    I was also told I would definitely need at least a years worth of work experience in a medical setting (and cannot be admin etc). Then on top of that obviously a good UKCAT result.
    I just wanted to let you all know this as I had previously been under the impression that so long as I had either Chemistry and/or Biology/Maths/Physics (i.e. two science a levels), I would be okay. I'm glad I asked and know this no before I wasted precious time. I will now be returning to college to do all of these A Levels over a two year period full time.
    NB: In case you wish to know I am 30 year old with no undergraduate degree but with 5 A Levels all non-science but A grade and have been working in the medical industry.

2. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

I think you will find that different universities have different requirements and criteria, so its worth talking to a few. For example, I know of several students that got in the 5 years courses based on A-Levels more than 2 years old. (And for the Grad courses they have taken a levels decades old)