Waiting List...

Discussion in 'Edinburgh Medical School' started by grindlo, Jun 2, 2008.

1. grindlo

grindlo New Member

is anyone else on a waiting list for edinburgh???

also, does anyone who is there at the mo know if anyone ever gets in off the waiting list?

thanks x

2. james_'90

james_'90 New Member

hey grindlo im on the waiting list too! i think i read on another edinburgh thread the other day that someone had already got in via the waiting list - not sure which thread. i dont think theres anyway they can get the number of offers right ever year so theres bound to be a time when too many people defer or miss their conditions - or at least thats what im hoping! i was actually gonna phone edniburgh tomorrow and ask what my chances are (got no other offers btw) so i'll let you know what they say! james.

3. grindlo

grindlo New Member

oo yay glad i've found someone else already!! yeah cool, let me know wat they say :D x

4. james_'90

james_'90 New Member

phoned edinburger this morning - the women i spoke to said she couldn't tell yet if there would be spare places cos they were still waiting on all the replies to offers but she did say that occassionally there were spare places. doesnt really sound all that promising - i'll just get down to planning my gap year:mad:

5. grindlo

grindlo New Member

rite ok. yea... i keep fluttering between disappointment and excitement for a gap year. x

6. snoons

snoons New Member

Yes it happens! I got an unconditional offer through on Wednesday! But I'm sure all of the universites have reserve lists for places through clearing - Edinburgh was the last place I thought would offer me a place though!

7. james_'90

james_'90 New Member

hey snoons and grindlo! just wondering if either of you have got your offer via UCAS yet or if you've managed to get an accomodation offer yet?? i havent got either and im worried that not having the offer on ucas is stopping my accomodation coming through. it says on the accomodation website that you have to be unconditional firm by 30th august to be guaranteed a place to live! im a tad worried, please reply!

8. snoons

snoons New Member

hey sorry i took so long to reply. how is the situation looking now? yes you have to be unconditional to get your accomodation, but that won't actually happen until you get your disclosure completed. i think they have to get you a room if you have an offer and you live a certain distance away - it isn't like you would have missed the deadline by any fault of your own, that is if it is missed. you should ring the accomodation people if you're stuck. they are lovely :)

9. james_'90

james_'90 New Member

hey snoons thanks for getting back to me! i eventually got impatient and phoned the medical school, they said that my disclosure was almost through and they decided to make me uncondtional without it! disclosure came through yesterday and I'm not a hardened crim! so just got to wait for my accomodation through now (the medical school told me it would). have you had your disclosure/offer yet or got your accomodation sorted? the admissions women told me that she was still waiting on three other home applicants disclosures that got in off the waiting list too!

10. snoons

snoons New Member

hey, that sounds smashing! you probably won't get your first choices being this late though. I got my offer through in the last week of July, and it was conditional on my disclosure, but that came through really quickly and my accomadation was through shortly after that. I wasn't bothered that the place I got wasn't one of my choices though, I was just grateful to have a place at all! It will be fine I'm sure. Ahhhh it's only 12 days til freshers'! How mental is that?

11. james_'90

james_'90 New Member

yip right there with you, dont really give a toss where i live as long as im going to medical school (tis better than taking a gap year and being shipped off to camerooon to work in my mums cousins hospital!). cant believe how close freshers is, kinda starting to get nervous now but should be cool! one thing that isnt so good though - we have exams in december, which is really not long!

12. snoons

snoons New Member

Yea, I was almost looking forward to the idea of going on a gap year, until it wasn't a choice anymore. God, that was depressing - but still managed to have a really cool summer.. but something tells me the next few weeks are just going to explode.

I think you should relax, exams are ages away! :D I'm not really nervous yet, although I probably will be by next week. I can't take it all in - I just can't fit it into my head yet haha. I don't think it will hit me until I'm actually there, in the room, crying for my mummy :p Oh it's going to be such a blast! And I can't wait to meet everyone else on the course.

13. james_'90

james_'90 New Member

im am relaxed about the exams, i just canny be bothered with them, id gotten used to the idea of no exams for over a year! freshers week should be crazy though!

14. wannabemedic321

wannabemedic321 New Member

Anyone on the waiting list for 2011 entry?

15. roar558

roar558 New Member

I know 4 people on the waiting list at the moment. When I phoned admissions about a week ago, they said there's about 41 people on it so far.

16. garlicbreadman

garlicbreadman New Member

Im guessing you are on it as well?

Do you know what place you are, I was in the top 15 last time I phoned, I know my exact position, well from 4 days go anyway.

When I phoned, I was told they think the places will fill. So they dont think they will use the waiting list. She said that they will send emails to everyone in the next couple of weeks to let them know of the situation. Really gutted tbh.
    Theres still always a chance eh. I wonder how many people from down south tend to ail their conditions

17. roar558

roar558 New Member

I think I was in the top 25 or something like that. I was told something similar, that it was unlikely that anyone beyond top 4 in the waiting list would receive an offer. I suppose there's always a chance however they do give out about 300 offers for about 200 places. I doubt there will be many if any that reject Edinburgh so it's unlikely that we'll get in this year.
    Anyway, good luck to you for getting into Edinburgh.

18. garlicbreadman

garlicbreadman New Member

Guessing you got the bad news in the email from Edinburgh today?
    So depressing.
    Gap year it is:(