1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Very old student. Please help me to see the light.

Discussion in 'Mature Students' started by Andre08, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Andre08

Andre08 New Member

Hi everyone, thanks for reading this post. I am 42 and have two clinical Masters degrees and is finishing my Professional Doctorate (PhD) through The Tavistock and Portman in Systemic & Family Psychotherapy soon. I have a partner and no kids. I work for the NHS-The Child & Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS) and also have a nice private practice at home, where I see couples, families, adolescents and children for psychotherapy. I love what I'm doing and I also love the academic part of research and applying theory to practice. However, I'm missing something in my desire to help others and that is to be hands on in helping people physically with their medical issues. I am very interested in sciences and even though I am working with our Psychiatrist every day, I know what she/he does, know the medications for ADHD, anxieties, depression and or delusions and assessment for enduring and persistent mental health issues that may need a Tier 3 intervention. I also want to be hands on in hospital, helping people with physical injuries. I also feel that having proper medical knowledge could help me in my work as a Psychotherapist. I don't want to be a Psychiatrist because in a way I'm doing that already, without prescribing meds. Our psychiatrists have said they were not that hands on anymore because they worked more from a medication/ diagnostic and therapeutic perspective. I want to be hands on as well.

The question I am asking is if you think I'm nuts, crazy, redicilious to sit GAMSAT in Sept 2017 with the hope to start the Graduate Entrance at 44? My hope is to be a GP, but I would love to keep active and busy in A&E as well as continuing my Psychotherapy as a clinician and academic. I'm sure my partner would not be happy if I enrol on yet another course, and it's probably not fair, but that is something I have been thinking about since I was little. I am already a doctor- doctor means helper, one doesn't need qualifications to help, but I want the training and cognitive challenge that goes with it. I am extremely fit, six pac Abbs Lol, resting heart rate of 45, and Botox helps to give the impression that I'm much younger than my chronological age. I had to bring in a bit of humour to make me feel better about my crazy plan, but yeah, most people think I am in my early 30's, but I'm Not... I am an oldie but a wise one for most of the time. Maybe this decision is a less wise one. Can you please guide my ambitious dreams back to reality? Thanks for reading. André

2. AussieBoy

AussieBoy Member

I'm less gung ho than others on here WRT med school late in life; however, if your goal is general practice, it makes some sense.

You have to pick a med school with a decent number of mature students otherwise you may go mad. You have to enjoy the journey. It's a long one.

PS At the risk of being pedantic, etymologically doctor comes from the latin for teacher / to teach (docere) rather than helper.

3. Andre08

Andre08 New Member

Thanks for taking the time to respond. It's still a long journey ahead. However, I read such an inspiring quote from Neale Donald Walsch, Author of CWG: "Enlightenment is understanding that there is nowhere to go, nothing to do, and nobody you have to be except who you're being right now." Psychotherapy is already so exciting, so I'm enjoying the moment of "helping" and beingness. I'm also enjoying preparing for the GAMSAT, if anything, that's really all I want to experience- Happiness in the Now. I love challenging my mind so I will continue to do what I love.

4. Andre08

Andre08 New Member

I actually decided against the idea of doing medicine at my age. Thanks for all your support in "helping me to see the light".