UQ vs. Griffith University

Discussion in 'Queensland Medical School' started by ozstudent, Jan 16, 2009.

1. ozstudent

ozstudent New Member

Hi everyone,

I've just finished year 12 and have received offers for the MBBS provisional programs at both UQ and Griffith University. I'm ecstatic!

After doing plenty of research, I'm still unsure of what the students at both universities think of the programs.
    Are the universities flexible with your course of study (e.g. are there plenty of elective opportunities?)?
    Are the lecturers easy to get hold of and happy to answer your questions?
    Do you have a good opportunity to conduct dissections (i.e. does the large cohort at UQ minimise your work with cadavers?)?
    Are there any distinct differences in the quality of graduates from UQ and Griffith (I know there have only been one graduating class from Griffith so far, so it's a difficult question...)?
    Is there an emphasis on electronic learning (are courses or lectures delivered electronically?)?
    Are the clinical teachings/rotations conducted well? Does it matter which hospital this is done at?
    Are you more likely to obtain an internship by attending a particular university?

If you have anything else to add, please do. I'd appreciate input from anyone. It's a big decision and any assistance I could get would be great!

Thanks,

ozstudent

2. Nadiadoc2011

Nadiadoc2011 New Member

Uq

Are there any distinct differences in the quality of graduates from UQ and Griffith (I know there have only been one graduating class from Griffith so far, so it's a difficult question...)?

I spoke to the head of Wesley the other day and he was encouraging me to pursue Griffith, as their pedagogy is more clinically and practically based.

However, most Griffith graduates are sent to more rural areas, on the Sunshine Coast, Gold Coast and Dalby.

UQ has a more prestigious qualification - and would be my choice. I think Griff will, given a few years, be a wonderful qualification, but at the moment UQ is definitely the university you should choose in my opinion.

3. Griffith

Griffith New Member

Re UQ v Griff

In regards to the previous reply, i'm not sure when the information about Griffith Graduates has been taken from. 90% of Last years graduating Cohort were actually awarded their first preference for internship placement. Also, the QLD health allocation process doesn't allow for bias/preferential treatment between any of the 4 univeristies in QLD. It is a ballot system, where your graduating tertiary institution is completely irrelevant, provided you graduated in QLD.

However I do agree that UQ is the more prestigious of the two. In saying that its really up to personal preference. UQ is a HUGE medical school, with highly esteemed hospitals for clinical placements and good research opportunities. However the class size has been a little daunting for friends of mine currently studying there. Griffith is a medium sized school, a strong curriculum, more personal/cohort atmosphere, but with less research opportunities, and admittedly less glamorous options for hospital based clinical training. However they are looking to expand their placement opportunities, and are working to have more opportunities available in Brisbane and surrounding areas.

hope that helps
    Griffith Student