University of Liverpool Graduate Entry Medicine 2013

Discussion in 'Liverpool Medical School' started by LozDubs, Sep 30, 2012.

1. LozDubs

LozDubs New Member

Hi,

I'm wondering if any of you can help (& reassure!) me. I want to apply for the four year graduate entry medicine at Liverpool for 2013, I am a Registered Nurse with a 2:1 BSc (Hons) in Adult Nursing, As & Bs at GCSE and a Triple Distinction in BTEC National Diploma Health & Social Care. I have lots of experience in healthcare and have worked (obviously) in collaboration with Drs, Surgeons, Anaesthetists (I currently work on a Surgical ward) so am aware of the realities of a career in medicine (this is not a decision I have taken lightly). What do you guys think my chances are of being considered?

Thanks!!

2. paysag

paysag Member

Hello,

I think Liverpool want a 'good 2:1' which they classify as 65% or above (it's meant I can't apply) - just in case that's important to your circumstance. Otherwise, go for it!!

I have recently put a post up about which medical schools look favourably on current HCPs, as I'm in a similar position (but a pharmacist).

Do Liverpool look at A-Levels for their GEM applicants I wonder? Your work experience will stand you in good stead I'm sure.

Good luck!

A

3. Happy As Jenface

Happy As Jenface New Member

Medicine and Surgery MBChB (Graduate Entry) - University of Liverpool

This breaks it down quite well :) they do requrie A leves at grade BBB(b). Must have Biology and Chemistry to A2 level. Whether BTEC can take the place of A levels I don't know. GCSE requirements are quite tough as well - you have to have 15 points from best 9 where A/A* = 2 and B = 1. You also must have experience of health care (which you both tick!)

Jenface x

4. fezfezed

fezfezed New Member

Sent off my application yesterday. Good luck everyone :)

5. phonebooth

phonebooth New Member

Anyone heard any news?
    So far just an acknowledgement

6. fezfezed

fezfezed New Member

Probably a little early for anything other than acknowledgements at the moment imo

7. fezfezed

fezfezed New Member

Had an email from them requesting a copy of my degree certificate, module transcript, grade used to distinguish final degree classification and how each of the 4 years were weighted. Hoping this is some good news. Anyone else heard back?

8. graduate_hopeful1987

Anybody heard anything from Liverpool GEM yet?? Know someone who had an immediate rejection but I still haven't heard anything!!

9. fezfezed

fezfezed New Member

Received an email with an interview offer from Liverpool today, but I'll need to rearrange it...

10. graduate_hopeful1987

Congrats!! Did that come by post or by email? Glad to hear the process is still going on!

11. fezfezed

fezfezed New Member

Email. They said they'll get back to me with a new interview date, hopefully its the following monday

12. emilyi

emilyi New Member

Got an interview today :D January 29th.

13. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

Good luck.

14. fezfezed

fezfezed New Member

Hopefully Liverpool get back to me with a rescheduled date so I can book annual leave and plan travel/accommodation

15. tfordham88

tfordham88 New Member

Good luck to you all applying/being interviewed!

Can't believe it's been a year already...

If you want any pointers (not that I'm a miracle fountain of knowledge) don't hesitate to message me - it's probably easier to contact me on facebook to be honest - www.facebook.com/tony.fordham

16. tfordham88

tfordham88 New Member

Also - if you're going to book accommodation I stayed in the Hatters Hostel which is just down the road from Abercromby square (main campus area) - fairly cheap and nice rooms. I was lucky to be sharing with some Aussie hitchhiker girls who quizzed/panicked me the night before!

17. bobbi

bobbi New Member

Hey T,

I've got my interview end of this month...so pointers would be much appreciated! :)
    like how long was the interview and what kind of topics came up?
    thank uuuuu

18. tfordham88

tfordham88 New Member

Interview is friendly, about 20-25 minutes (although if shorter don't worry - some of my coursemates had less than 20 minutes).
    There will be questions about why liverpool, your background, PBL, self-directed learning, the course structure, 'give me one ethical related scenario you have come across' (tripped a few people up having to come up with one themselves), talk about some medical issues e.g. consent, prima facie etc (I'd suggest reading up on GMC guidelines, tomorrow's doctors that kind of thing). But certainly no tricks. I would say it is the 'standard medical interview' if such a thing existed.
    I had 4 interviews this time around and this was by far my easiest/most relaxed.
    Relax into it, enjoy the experience, flaunt what you know and how prepared you are because I've no doubt you will all have something interesting to contribute to interview.

T

19. tfordham88

tfordham88 New Member

Also just been reading previous comments.

DO NOT look too deeply into timing of interviews/before after christmas slots etc etc.

My housemate received a rejection from Liverpool and then an invitation to interview and a place 2 months before we were due to start!

20. fezfezed

fezfezed New Member

ok so true to their word they have emailed me today with a rescheduled date, 8th of February it is then!