Uni choices with low UKCAT

hubin9655

Hi guys,

I just sat my UKCAT test and unfortunately I got a pretty mediocre score. (Average 600).

What make it even worse is that I am an international student:( Obviously English held me back in the VR section. I know my chance getting into med seems to be extremely low right now, but I still want to give it a shot.
These are my intended choices:

UCL(This is my dream school...I will be sitting BMAT in November)
Liverpool
Edinburgh
Bristol

I am doing International Baccalaureate Diploma in Australia. Currently my predicted score is 42 out of 45, with both Chemistry and Biology at higher level predicted to be 7 out of 7.
plus heaps of community services
plus plenty work experience in hospital

Could someone have a look and tell me if I still have chance?

PS: Are Cardiff, Birmingham and Aberdeen worth considering?

Last edited:

Snowflake

Hi guys,

I just sat my UKCAT test and unfortunately I got a pretty mediocre score. (Average 600).

What make it even worse is that I am an international student:( Obviously English held me back in the VR section. I know my chance getting into med seems to be extremely low right now, but I still want to give it a shot.
These are my intended choices:

UCL(This is my dream school...I will be sitting BMAT in November)
Liverpool
Edinburgh
Bristol

I am doing International Baccalaureate Diploma in Australia. Currently my predicted score is 42 out of 45, with both Chemistry and Biology at higher level predicted to be 7 out of 7.
plus heaps of community services
plus plenty work experience in hospital

Could someone have a look and tell me if I still have chance?

PS: Are Cardiff, Birmingham and Aberdeen worth considering?
Heya

If I were you, I would avoid pretty much majority of the medical schools who put quite a bit of emphasis on UKCAT. Edinburgh is a risky choice as they give you a maximum of 4 points based on your UKCAT score ranking amongst the applicants. Obviously we can't predict the cohort's performance yet but I'd say you'd be lucky to get 2 out of the 4. Such a difference could cost you quite a chunk of ranking. I think your other 3 choices are great though!

How much do you want to apply to Edinburgh? If a lot and you have outstanding academia and ECs, I'd say just go for it. If I were you, I'd consider applying to another med school instead.
I'd probably either go with Cardiff or Bham. Btw, Cardiff afaik don't really weight UKCAT that much, they're more interested in you as a whole)!

I hope this helps!

hubin9655

Heya

If I were you, I would avoid pretty much majority of the medical schools who put quite a bit of emphasis on UKCAT. Edinburgh is a risky choice as they give you a maximum of 4 points based on your UKCAT score ranking amongst the applicants. Obviously we can't predict the cohort's performance yet but I'd say you'd be lucky to get 2 out of the 4. Such a difference could cost you quite a chunk of ranking. I think your other 3 choices are great though!

How much do you want to apply to Edinburgh? If a lot and you have outstanding academia and ECs, I'd say just go for it. If I were you, I'd consider applying to another med school instead.
I'd probably either go with Cardiff or Bham. Btw, Cardiff afaik don't really weight UKCAT that much, they're more interested in you as a whole)!

I hope this helps!

Hi, thanks for replying!
I want to make sure that my chance is maximised, so I might drop Edinburgh then:(
Compared to Cardiff, would Bham or Aberdeen be a better choice?

silverlining

Hi there! I was wondering which uni you got into and whether it was your choice of uni?

I just did my ukcat and got a score of 682.5; not sure how to weigh this score against university choices?

I'm wondering if should give king's a shot? I'm considering Edinburgh, Leeds, Sheffield and the bmat schools too.

Hi there! I was wondering which uni you got into and whether it was your choice of uni?

I just did my ukcat and got a score of 682.5; not sure how to weigh this score against university choices?

I'm wondering if should give king's a shot? I'm considering Edinburgh, Leeds, Sheffield and the bmat schools too.
Forget kings and Sheffield they like scores in the 700s