• 720-739

Votes: 10 9.4%
  • 740-759

Votes: 11 10.4%
  • 760>

Votes: 20 18.9%

• Total voters

nabbe

Having developed my VR score from last year (although relatively less than the other sections, still a 700) I can share that I spent 1 full minute carefully reading the entire passage and spent the other minute focusing on the 4qs. As it turned out, I was able to answer around 3/4 of the questions quite quickly based on that careful reading and had to return to the passage for only none or 1 or the qs. Worked better this way for me than allocating 30s/q with only skimming the text quickly. I find it's easy to miss nuances by skimming.

snoogles

I took it this morning and through divine intervention (no other explanation since I've never actually managed to finish the QR section during practice tests) got 900 on QR, 700 VR, 760 AR, and 790 DA, for an average of 762.5. It's obviously not a guarantee that I'll get in somewhere, but it definitely won't be an obstacle!

Good luck to those of you who still have to write!

Mer

Did UKCAT this morn and got 695, VR560, QR790, AR720, DA 710. VR was really tough. I was so suprised/delighted about how different the QR questions were to practise Q's! I have GAMSATS in a few weeks but just considering my UKCAT score what colleges should I be hoping to apply for??

ob[x]

in a word yes! really good scores congrats! my friend achieved 700avg last year and had interviews for all your chices bar oxford. any advice for preparation?

ob[x]

Thanks man! Thats pretty great, ya oxford I might not bother with anyway as I cant really afford the additional fees (plus pretty sure I cant apply as no a level chem).

As for prep, I just did the 600q book and official practise tests on the pc. QR is far easier on the day than the book and practise tests, so take your time to get good with the book, and practise timing with the pc test and it should be fine! As a clue to the difference I got 5/36 on practise test 1 yesterday! And 18/36 on test 2. The exam was a breeze in comparison. But that said, don't be complacent I couldve been lucky!
thank you! i appreciate the help! i have little confidence when it comes to this test sat it twice already once in 06 and again in 07 both times averaging at 565! dramatic improvements are necessary!

can i ask how the other sections compared to the real test?

ob[x]

thanks again! yep i heard the same about this years vr - definitely looks like a tough one :eek:

my test is on wed 22nd so will let you know how it goes - NERVOUS.

Leo_88

I ll be adding my score to this poll by tomorrow afternoon. This is my third time taking the UKCAT and hopefully the last.

Good luck to everyone else sitting the test soon,

kaodeve

Avg. 660. Bit disappointed with VR and QR. totally ran out of time for QR only 21/36 ?s answered.
Wish I had skipped and perhaps the later ?s' would have been easier/quicker to answer. ah, well. You
live and learn. Really pleased with AR as was hopeless at this in practise tests.

josepht

Hi guys, long time lurker, first time poster!

I took my UKCAT today, 4 years after I first did, and I improved my average from 635 to 828, which I'm over the moon with!

VR 700
QR 900
AR 880
DA 830

Looking at not attending my gamsat now as I will just be picking 4 UKCAT universities to apply too. A waste of 195 pounds though, and the refund date has passed.

kaodeve

Hi guys, long time lurker, first time poster!

I took my UKCAT today, 4 years after I first did, and I improved my average from 635 to 828, which I'm over the moon with!

VR 700
QR 900
AR 880
DA 830

Looking at not attending my gamsat now as I will just be picking 4 UKCAT universities to apply too. A waste of 195 pounds though, and the refund date has passed.
Best average score I've seen or heard of... Huge Congrats!

ob[x]

wow thats the highest score i have ever heard of! brilliant! pleased for you! how how did you do such wonderment?

dmurph23

Awesome score.

Still do the GAMSAT though. There is the possiblity you _MAY_ not get in regardless of scores, and GAMSAT lasts for 2 years so it will leave your options open next year if this tragedy occurs.

harriet_durham

705 average

AR 840
QR 710
VR 580
DA 690

I thought I had done well when reading threads on the studentroom etc. until I realised it's a pretty puny score compared to other graduate applicants who I'll be competing against!

I'm a first time medicine applicant going into my final year at Durham University studying Natural Sciences and I'm expecting a 2.1/1st.
A Levels: AAAa
GCSEs: 6A*s 3As

I'm thinking of applying to...
Southampton (4years)
Southampton (5years)
Newcastle (4years)
Warwick (4years)

Opinions please?! Will my UKCAT hold me back realistically considering how much more difficult it is to get a place on GEP?

Well done everyone

Martigan

Super Moderator
Harriet
That is still a good score. Last year Kings seemed to consider you for an interview if you were higher than 700.

Be wary of Southampton, because they have compatibly open criteria you get a LOT of applicants for those places. Which means a lot more competition. With your sciences background, if I were you, I would consider one of the sciences requiring universities. May be QMUL?

S’ton is hard to judge this year, as last year UKCAT was not used as part of the assessment. – You had to have it, but it wasn’t important. But I believe this has changed, but who knows by how much.

josepht

Awesome score.

Still do the GAMSAT though. There is the possiblity you _MAY_ not get in regardless of scores, and GAMSAT lasts for 2 years so it will leave your options open next year if this tragedy occurs.
Very good point - although if I don't get a place next year I'll hopefully be able to replicate my UKCAT score and would just apply to UKCAT universities again, but it's worth taking all the same.

ob[x]

just had mine!

vr 560
qr 720
ar 840
da 630

avg 687.5
dont know what happened in vr! the words were melting on the screen i guess! little disappointed with da as it was by far my best section with the 600q book but nevermind!

i guess fourth times a charm since my past 3 avgs were 565 565 595!

Jip24

well done mate. Thats a brilliant score. How did you find the QR section? assuming it was much shorter than you originally intended?

ob[x];746389 said:
just had mine!

vr 560
qr 720
ar 840
da 630

avg 687.5
dont know what happened in vr! the words were melting on the screen i guess! little disappointed with da as it was by far my best section with the 600q book but nevermind!

i guess fourth times a charm since my past 3 avgs were 565 565 595!

ob[x]

qr was a mixed bag (between pt 1 and the short test) - i was having a panic attack the day before after doing the practise tests; i employed a technique my friend used which was guess and flag the long ones and accurately attempt the shorter ones and then return to the flagged ones