Votes: 20 18.9%

• Total voters

Iknis

VR: 760
QR: 700
AR: 680
DA: 870

so average: 753

But.. no idea what that means on a GEP scale, so if you could give any feedback it would be greatly appreciated (don't know whether to be happy, sad, satisfied or what lol since I got my results ! )

Martigan

Super Moderator
Inkis thats good for a GEP place. Kings appeared to use a cut off of 700 last year, which I think was the highest.

Martigan

Super Moderator
I have tried to post you a link to a post which explains the distributions but it needs to be approved by a moderator, for some reason and non appear to have been on for a few days....

Iknis

Thx for the feedback,
Inkis thats good for a GEP place. Kings appeared to use a cut off of 700 last year, which I think was the highest.
So I just have to hope that schools don't inflate their cut-off points too significantly this year :s

Martigan

Super Moderator
Well when I was at the QMUL 5-year open day last week, they had a cut off of 665 for 2010 entry. However they had cut the 5 year placed by about a third on 2009. They seemed to suggest for 2011 entry they would increase the places and reduce the cut-off. This may also be echoed across the GEP courses.

Last year (2010) we had a massive increase in GEP applicants (I have heard a 60% increase quoted) and the government threatened to heavily fine any course that got over subscribed. This caused a bit of a need jerk reaction in the university admissions departments who had to ramp-up the admissions cut-offs to prevent heavy fines.

I don’t see things getting any better this year, and maybe slightly worse. However the university depts. Now have a better idea of the new environment, so may be less cautious, but then again, may be not. Therefore I can’t see massive cut-off inflation to the degree of last year, and maybe even a slight relaxation in some courses.

However, I’m not an admissions expert, just an “experienced” applicant, but that’s what my gut feeling is.

Iknis

Hmm I see, well thanks a lot for that. Now I just have to pray that a rising tide of UKCAT cut-offs doesn't swamp my score :p

Philippa*

Was that last year then? And if so, did you get the impression is was a strong score compared to other applicants and feedback from the Unis you applied to?
Well I don't know about feedback from unis but it seemed to be around right from speaking to other applicants.
and yes it was last year - I took it last august before I applied so I knew if there was any point in applying!

AlaCourt

I remember reading somewhere on these forums that you can't really compare scores between years. I think UKCAT do some sort of averaging or adjusting at the end of each cycle, or that perhaps they've put in new questions, and that will affect the overall average scores. I dunno how much of a difference/variation there could be, but I imagine anything over 700 is still pretty good!

zhangyuzhi

Iknis: your score is excellent. No worries abt inflating UKCAT cut-offs. It shouldn't hit you even if competition level worsens this year. Just make sure other bits of your application look fine and I think you have a decent chance of getting a place! :)

I agree with AlaCourt that anything >700 is certainly good.

birduk

Did mine today and the registration for this forum finally came through!

V- 680, Q- 900, A- 810, DA- 790. Average 795. Gutted I didn't break that 800 barrier though!

I just need to find a GEP that puts a huge amount of emphasis on the UKCAT! Will follow the above links. Thanks.

dpse1

Did mine today and the registration for this forum finally came through!

V- 680, Q- 900, A- 810, DA- 790. Average 795. Gutted I didn't break that 800 barrier though!

I just need to find a GEP that puts a huge amount of emphasis on the UKCAT! Will follow the above links. Thanks.
That's an amazing score! Can I ask how much you prepared/studied for it?

birduk

I got the book and studied that for about a week (around job, hobbies etc). The AR was the one I studied the most as it wasn't obvious to me- the book really helped (600 Q). It helps that I like maths I suppose! I tried to do one of the practice tests before I got the book and was immediately sent into a spiral of despair! We all want to get all the questions right all the time don't we? But the night before the test went and did the short version, which gave me more confidence. Good luck!

Fluffle

I did the UKCAT today and got 738. I am so proud to be able to contribute to that dark blue bar on this poll!!!

I never thought I would score so well, I'm really pleased. I was a complete bag of nerves before going in there - reminded me a bit of piano exams when I was a kid haha!!!