UKCAT Scores for 2011 Entry (undergraduate)

Gowrav

The problem with UPO from my experience is that the exercises on it are too simple in comparison to the 600Q book. If the questions in the real exam are of the same ilk as the UPO site, Im very comfortable with getting a really high score. Somehow I think that the questions will be more along the lines of the 600Q book instead.
Totally agree. I used the website last year, and put simply it is a waste of money in my opinion. The questions are way too easy. A better investment would be buying the 600Q book, which is probably the best resource out there concerning the UKCAT.

Enco

The 600Q book and official practice tests are all you need.

You can probably do everything more than once since you're unlikely to remember it all.

dorothyhychong

so worried right now..

VR: 600
QR: 810
AR: 740
DA: 630
average: 695

my choices were cambridge, liverpool, nottingham, and durham/ newcastle.
but based just on UKCAT differences with everyone else, can someone suggest for me a replacement on cambridge?

i was thinking of edinburgh, st. andrews, bristol, king's college london, and warwick as well. which one will be a "safer" school?

kaodeve

so worried right now..

VR: 600
QR: 810
AR: 740
DA: 630
average: 695

my choices were cambridge, liverpool, nottingham, and durham/ newcastle.
but based just on UKCAT differences with everyone else, can someone suggest for me a replacement on cambridge?

i was thinking of edinburgh, st. andrews, bristol, king's college london, and warwick as well. which one will be a "safer" school?
Cambridge use the BMAT not the UKCAT!

boobaa

Urgent help needed. I had a really bad day at my UKCAT and I got 622.5 (eek).
However I did well in my academics: I got 11a*'s at GCSE and i got an alevel in maths which i got an a* in and I got 4A's at AS level in biology,chemistry, physics and further maths.

garlicbreadman

I am thinking of applying to:

Edinburgh
St Andrews
Dundee
Aberdeen

Do you think I'll be ok with a UKCAT average of 615?

I'd really appreciate any help

zzj166

I am thinking of applying to:

Edinburgh
St Andrews
Dundee
Aberdeen

Do you think I'll be ok with a UKCAT average of 615?

I'd really appreciate any help
All of your choices are good, apart from Edinburgh. I am not sure how your overall profile is like but Edinburgh is mega competitive cos they don't interview at all! With your UKCAT score you might be disadvantaged...but if you just want to give it a go (same as what I am doing with Imperial lol..) then I guess your choices are safe enough. If not apply to a even safer choice like HYMS?

garlicbreadman

All of your choices are good, apart from Edinburgh. I am not sure how your overall profile is like but Edinburgh is mega competitive cos they don't interview at all! With your UKCAT score you might be disadvantaged...but if you just want to give it a go (same as what I am doing with Imperial lol..) then I guess your choices are safe enough. If not apply to a even safer choice like HYMS?
How much do you think my UKCAT disadvantages me?

I am quite set on only applying to Scottish universities since they are free for me.

I really want to apply to Glasgow instead of Edinburgh, but I don't know cos' people are saying that last year they increased the UKCAT cut-off to 642. :(

kaodeve

How much do you think my UKCAT disadvantages me?

I am quite set on only applying to Scottish universities since they are free for me.

I really want to apply to Glasgow instead of Edinburgh, but I don't know cos' people are saying that last year they increased the UKCAT cut-off to 642. :(
Edinburgh rank the UKCAT into quartiles and then allocate 3pts if your score is int he top quartile, 2pts for 2nd , 1 pt for 3rd and 0pts for 4th quartile. Theysay it counts for 8% of total application.

Glasgow states

"All applicants that meet/are predicted to achieve minimum entry requirements but are below the national average UKCAT total score are unlikely to be considered further. Previous results have shown that the national average UKCAT total score will be in the range of 2400-2500, however this varies year on year.

An interview or entry is not guaranteed. Applicants should note that they will be considered within their year of application and by the standard presented during that admissions cycle alone. Depending on the number of applications the Medical School receives by 15 October and the range of UKCAT scores received in November, the Medical School may not be in a position to consider further all applicants who meet/are predicted to achieve minimum academic entry requirements and who also possess the UKCAT national average total score.

Interviewees who meet/are predicted to achieve the minimum academic entry requirements will be ranked by UKCAT total score. Allocations for interviews will then be processed from the top UKCAT total score."

Given that unis do not know the national average until November might put you off but with last year's between 2400-2500 and you are within that then I would reckon that this is worth a shot versus Edinburgh where you might get 0 pts and thus 0% for your UKCAT.

Dundee might be dodgy for you as they state that their average for interview for 2010 was 2600. they weight the UKCAT at 20% which is hefty after scoring into quartiles.

Hope this helps.

kaodeve

Sorry St. Andrews and Aberdeen are both good choices. St. Andrews said under 2457 unlikely to interview in 2011 and you are above that albeit only just. Aberdeen use a wide range and say it it not the sole indicator they use.

zzj166

agree with what kaodeve said above...anywhere is probably a better choice than edinburgh tbh....edinburgh divides the applicants into percentiles and you might get 0 pt for UKCAT. That's likely going to be a huge advantage cos every point counts. Glasgow is worth a shot.

ClapMaster

i got 660 on wednesday :S
not very happy about the score as i really dont want to have to take another year off,
i was thinking of applying to Manchester, Liverpool, Lancaster and another?
is this a good choice? any suggestions?

garlicbreadman

Edinburgh rank the UKCAT into quartiles and then allocate 3pts if your score is int he top quartile, 2pts for 2nd , 1 pt for 3rd and 0pts for 4th quartile. Theysay it counts for 8% of total application.

Glasgow states

"All applicants that meet/are predicted to achieve minimum entry requirements but are below the national average UKCAT total score are unlikely to be considered further. Previous results have shown that the national average UKCAT total score will be in the range of 2400-2500, however this varies year on year.

An interview or entry is not guaranteed. Applicants should note that they will be considered within their year of application and by the standard presented during that admissions cycle alone. Depending on the number of applications the Medical School receives by 15 October and the range of UKCAT scores received in November, the Medical School may not be in a position to consider further all applicants who meet/are predicted to achieve minimum academic entry requirements and who also possess the UKCAT national average total score.

Interviewees who meet/are predicted to achieve the minimum academic entry requirements will be ranked by UKCAT total score. Allocations for interviews will then be processed from the top UKCAT total score."

Given that unis do not know the national average until November might put you off but with last year's between 2400-2500 and you are within that then I would reckon that this is worth a shot versus Edinburgh where you might get 0 pts and thus 0% for your UKCAT.

Dundee might be dodgy for you as they state that their average for interview for 2010 was 2600. they weight the UKCAT at 20% which is hefty after scoring into quartiles.

Hope this helps.
I heard the Glasgow UKCAT cut-off was raised to 642 last year. :confused: :(

Also, if you get an interview at Dundee if the rest of your application is strong, does the UKCAT really matter after that. 2600 was the average for the ppl they gave offers to, not interviews. At the open day, they kinda implied their cut off is 600. They basically said they have only accepted like one person with a score below 600.

I'm so annoyed.

Edinburgh said:

"Thank you for your email. The UKCAT is only worth 8% of the overall score so you can still score more marks in the other areas the academic and non-academic achievements.

The UKCAT scores are ranked and then split into 3 quotas then marks will then be rewarded. Therefore, your score cannot be determined at this stage."

St Andrews said they cant say for definite atm whether or not their cutoff will increase or not.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I am reapplying to medicine this year and need desperate advice on where to apply!

A-level: AAAA chem, bio, maths, eng lit
(6 and 7 ums off A* in eng and chem but laziness prevailed LOL)

GCSE: 5.5A* (maths, eng, eng lit, double science, RS short course)
4A (geog, history, french, music)
1B (arabic LOL)

UKCAT: 710 average (620 (LOL), 700, 810, 710)

PS stuff: gp 1 week work exp
2 week hospital
continuing weekly volunteering at care home since April 09
1 week at heart hosp

been on 2 NAGTY summer school (got silver crest award in one of them)
member of MENSA
played for football club for 4 years
used to play trombone for 5 years LOL no grades tho
did young enterprise (pointless)
went on medlink (even more pointless)
completed FA coaching level one

gap year: am working as a learning support assistant at a college. basically i sit with students who have learning difficulties/physical disabilities and help them out during the class (sort of like mencap but in a college/class environment).. i think this provides many useful anecdotes for interview. will be doing this whole year so no travelling etc

Where am i likely to get interview with the above profile?

Any guidance/help would be greatly appreciated as i plan on completing my PS and handing in app by Fri 1st.

EDIT: got rejections last year from oxf, ucl (post-interview), kings and bristol

so do not want to apply to non-test unis/London (unless MAYBE Kings but am unsure if they will like me reapplying as got rejected pre-interview last year)/scotland (they prefer scottish students?)/BMAT unis

ukcat unis only, where are my best chances?

lexipower

Urgent help needed. I had a really bad day at my UKCAT and I got 622.5 (eek).
However I did well in my academics: I got 11a*'s at GCSE and i got an alevel in maths which i got an a* in and I got 4A's at AS level in biology,chemistry, physics and further maths.
heya - dont worry about it. I'm in a similar situation; I only got 615 but I have pretty good gcses and A levels. as long as you chose places that dont put a lot of weight on the ukcat, or non at all (liverpool, bristol, birmingham dont use admissions tests at all, or you can always try BMAT unis) it shouldnt be a problem with those grades! and then make sure your personal statement is brilliant so you tick all the non academic criteria boxes :)

Gowrav

Hi all,

I am reapplying to medicine this year and need desperate advice on where to apply!

A-level: AAAA chem, bio, maths, eng lit
(6 and 7 ums off A* in eng and chem but laziness prevailed LOL)

GCSE: 5.5A* (maths, eng, eng lit, double science, RS short course)
4A (geog, history, french, music)
1B (arabic LOL)

UKCAT: 710 average (620 (LOL), 700, 810, 710)

PS stuff: gp 1 week work exp
2 week hospital
continuing weekly volunteering at care home since April 09
1 week at heart hosp

been on 2 NAGTY summer school (got silver crest award in one of them)
member of MENSA
played for football club for 4 years
used to play trombone for 5 years LOL no grades tho
did young enterprise (pointless)
went on medlink (even more pointless)
completed FA coaching level one

gap year: am working as a learning support assistant at a college. basically i sit with students who have learning difficulties/physical disabilities and help them out during the class (sort of like mencap but in a college/class environment).. i think this provides many useful anecdotes for interview. will be doing this whole year so no travelling etc

Where am i likely to get interview with the above profile?

Any guidance/help would be greatly appreciated as i plan on completing my PS and handing in app by Fri 1st.
Not being harsh here, but simply by doing your own research you can find the answers to your own questions. Also you may have all those good academia and things, but your PS plays a big part in the application process. So if your PS is rubbish than your chances of interview is very low anywhere, where as if it is good than your chance are high anywhere.

lexipower

Not being harsh here, but simply by doing your own research you can find the answers to your own questions. Also you may have all those good academia and things, but your PS plays a big part in the application process. So if your PS is rubbish than your chances of interview is very low anywhere, where as if it is good than your chance are high anywhere.
agreed! :D

lexipower

2011 reapplication - you have good grades and a good ukcat score and a load of work experience, I dont know why you're asking where to apply - you can apply wherever you want.

ri0t

Hi, I am a current Year 12 student in Australia.

I just did my UKCAT today and I got:
verbal: 590
Quantitative: 880
Abstract: 600
Decision Analysis: 710
Average: 695

I am Applying for 2011: Bristol (A100), Aberdeen (A100), Sheffield (A100), Southapmton (A100)

I am expecting to get an ATAR of 99+

What are my chances to be called for an interview?

Thanks