1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UKCAT or BMAT that is the question.

Discussion in 'UKCAT' started by TMG, Mar 2, 2008.

1. TMG

TMG New Member

I've started to research the unis my GCSEs are eligible for in terms of style of teaching (PBL etc),the assessment process,location etc AND now also have the dilemma of sitting just the UKCAT (so just choosing the unis that use that as criteria) or the BMAT too.Would I be a glutton for punishment sitting both??!!Do you think it's a good idea to decide which one you'd rather sit and then applied this to their decision of which unis to choose.I suppose I am asking what are the pros and cons of the UKCAT and BMAT from people that have sat both.The essay section of the BMAT looks pretty scary (have NO experience of critical essay writing WHATSOEVER so should I avoid it?)

My GCSE results meet the academic criteria for 18 unis but of the 18 there is a mixed bag of UKCAT and BMAT.HELP!!

2. Singh.Simran

Singh.Simran New Member

I say take both. it's what i did and they arent timed simultaneously (indeed picking a nice far away ukcat date saves you money too) so you dont end up revising for both at the same time - there's really no need to cut down your options. And, if you take the UKCAT early, it can be before the deadline can't it? (i forget) but if so good to let you know, then tailor your choices accordingly..

as for the essay, critical argument structure is one way many sources say to do it, but not the only way, i got 15/15 with barely a shred of medical input and little of the "other side" of the argument...

3. InFairVerena

InFairVerena New Member

I would definately select your universities based upon whether you like them rather than the entrance exams that they have! Saying that, if you really don't think you could do well in the BMAT, stick with the UKCAT, it's far easier! I didn't so any prior work for the UKCAT except the practice questions on their website and still came out with an average score that was in the 700's. I was really worried about the BMAT, especially the essay section which I also had no experience in! I ended up with under half-marks in that final section, but had put some work into the other two, and have got an interview at Imperial next week.
    I would strongly recommend you pick the universities based on themselves though, not if they require the UKCAT of BMAT.

4. -Petrie-

-Petrie- New Member

I took both, it's pretty common too.

All I will say is for the love of God don't pick more than 2 (at the very very most) unis that require the BMAT, or else you're screwed.

5. >Freak<

>Freak< New Member

I think the essay part of BMAT doesn't really matter when it comes to the admissions process, most of the universities emphasise more on Section one and two, the third section(i think)is only there to boost up your total score. Regarding singrah's comment, i think it's always safe to stick to ''arguing both sides'' if you don't read as much as singrah does. To be frank, my English sucks as an international student but i managed to score 7.5 for the essay part, which is half of the total, and presumably good enough for most universities, not stunning though. I could hardly read books normally, with not more than 3 books read in my entire life(books that are outside the curriculum, i do surf the net btw)

I wouldn't say UKCAT is easier than BMAT, in fact, it's no easier than BMAT as most people would be scoring like hell in UKCAT(for example, 650+) so it might be quite hard for you to really amaze the admissions tutor with your UKCAT score. BMAT is a different story, good students normally score significantly higher than those who aren't that good, in other words, it distinguishes you from the others better if you're good.(from my opinion). However, not applying to any BMAT universities just because of the entrance test is a really wrong act. BMAT shouldn't scare you off at all.

Hope that helps. Good luck with your application.

6. Singh.Simran

Singh.Simran New Member

Reading isn't necessarily what you need - it helps with the literarly skills but is a very slow way of getting about it.

I just think that an original answer, that you really want to argue rather than just following the ideas and structure of some interview prep book or forum will probably come across and better and may well gain more marks...

And re 3 books - that's shocked me. Not in a bad way, just that i didnt realise anyone read that little... i've got to have read in the 1000s by now. Then again you see this statistics where adults havent picked one up in 20 years and so on...

7. TMG

TMG New Member

Thanks guys.Food for thought.

8. -Petrie-

-Petrie- New Member

If you applied to UCL, it matters A LOT. Trust me.

9. Singh.Simran

Singh.Simran New Member

Ooh fair point i hadn't thought of that. Half my IV was on the essay (and i didnt defend myself particularly well...)

10. -Petrie-

-Petrie- New Member

The bizarre questions I got asked (and my confused incoherent answers back) about my BMAT essay is the reason I got rejected :( (said so in my feedback ... well not in those words but you know what I mean!).

11. Singh.Simran

Singh.Simran New Member

Aww i'm sorry to hear that. They're making a mistake there :)

They didnt so much ask bad questions as ask something too simplistic and not like me steering it my way, and kept trying to steer it theirs...

12. -Petrie-

-Petrie- New Member

They asked me why people used to think the world was flat.

And whether there are any irrationally helf truths that I believed in.

And whether religion could be considered an irrationally held truth.

And any irrationally held truths of modern times.

It sucks when you're dream uni seem to work so hard in making you feel like a complete idiot and reject you after everything :(

Conclusion of this post: BMAT SUX!!!

13. Singh.Simran

Singh.Simran New Member

Apparantly, very few people ever did think that...

14. -Petrie-

-Petrie- New Member

LOL I know (I watch QI :D) but they wouldn't take that as an answer!

15. Arch_Angel

Arch_Angel New Member

They asked me why people used to think the world was flat.

The greeks knew it wasn't. Not many people in the middle ages apparently thought it was. Although a good answer probably would be "Because it looks that way if you're not looking carefully".

And whether there are any irrationally helf truths that I believed in.

Which is basically "Are you religious/do you believe in homeopathy/chanting or the conservative party"

And whether religion could be considered an irrationally held truth.

It's irrationally held beliefs....not truth. Truth in any meaningful way needs evidence....So no.

And any irrationally held truths of modern times

The only irrational truth we must believe in is the consistancy of logic. The rest is by definition rational if we come to consider it a truth by rational means (the scientific method).

I love questions like that :)

#15 Arch_Angel, Mar 3, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2008
  16. -Petrie-

-Petrie- New Member

Er... yeah Arch, that made me feel so much better :rolleyes:

17. Arch_Angel

Arch_Angel New Member

What??? :)

18. Arch_Angel

Arch_Angel New Member

Sorry, I thought I'd answer them :)

...just a bit of fun :)

19. -Petrie-

-Petrie- New Member

ahh it's okay. It's just that if it wasn't for those 4 questions, I would have got in :(

Damn you silly BMAT questions!!

20. >Freak<

>Freak< New Member

Yes, some people might say it's a sad fact about me. However, i did state that i frequent the net and read articles from the net. I just can't get myself to sit still with a book, it scares me, and i need to do something else once in a while i'm reading, therefore most of the books i bought were left half-read.

#20 >Freak<, Mar 4, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2008