UKCAT for 2015 Entry

Bad news :( 600, 750, 740, 720 Band 1. As a GEP applicant this won't be enough. Very borderline for Warwick if the scores go down, just maybe.

liveinhope

Bad news :( 600, 750, 740, 720 Band 1. As a GEP applicant this won't be enough. Very borderline for Warwick if the scores go down, just maybe.

Looks to me like most grads are posting lower scores than last year so you still have Warwick from a UKCAT point of view. Plenty of people at the 2014 selection centre when I was there (28 in my group at least 5 with a lower score than what you have this year) good luck with the GAMSAT :(:confused:

PGNC

I think overall the UKCAT average will drop this year, so hopefully for GEM applicants there's more lee-way.

STJ is probably still going to be ignored for most medical schools this cycle. Good luck guys!

Last edited:

MedicineDream

I have my UKCAT booked 24 September. To say my preparation is going awful would be an understatement. I just can't seem to crack the revision. I'm tempted every day to return to sections that I am totally stuck on. Whereas I should be practising all sections.

Any top tips?

PGNC

I have my UKCAT booked 24 September. To say my preparation is going awful would be an understatement. I just can't seem to crack the revision. I'm tempted every day to return to sections that I am totally stuck on. Whereas I should be practising all sections.

Any top tips?
What are your preparation materials? Have you done a UKCAT mock yet?

MedicineDream

What are your preparation materials? Have you done a UKCAT mock yet?
I have been using:
UKCAT for Dummies
How to Master the UKCAT
Succeeding in the UKCAT
UKCAT official website.

To be honest, I attempted a mock, however ran out of time. My technique is all wrong, so I am going to keep learning the question format. Have you don't UKCAT?

PGNC

You should try Medify, they have a similar style and level of difficulty from what I've seen, certainly for VR. Just set aside time each day to practice, you still have over a month which is plenty of time if you stick to a revision schedule. Time wise get used to not spending too long on each question, you have to be rigid with the clock.

I sat my UKCAT awhile back, I'm a 1st year med student.

Practice, practice, practice until you're used to the timing for each section. Save your mocks until the very end. All the best!

MedicineDream

Thanks for replying PGNC. Congrats on getting into Med School and indeed I'm assuming completing year 1? How are you finding it?
I am a Paramedic by trade, just left the military to follow my dreams. Lets hope it works out!

I have a rigid timetable for practicing, but I'm such a sore loser, when I get stuck on a question, I want to climb the walls!! 'ARRRGGGHHHHH', I need to get used to moving on. Still haven't really looked at time allowance for questions as I am still in the practice state.

PGNC

Thanks for replying PGNC. Congrats on getting into Med School and indeed I'm assuming completing year 1? How are you finding it?
I am a Paramedic by trade, just left the military to follow my dreams. Lets hope it works out!

I have a rigid timetable for practicing, but I'm such a sore loser, when I get stuck on a question, I want to climb the walls!! 'ARRRGGGHHHHH', I need to get used to moving on. Still haven't really looked at time allowance for questions as I am still in the practice state.
My pleasure, thank you, yes I am. It's a big transition but that was to be expected! Oh wow, you must have an amazing plethora of experience. Are you working now? Haha I was the same but in this exam there are purposely questions impossible to answer comfortably in the time especially in the QR. Well I'd say it's good prep to use the time allowance at some stage because it trains you under the same time pressure, and that way you really know where you stand.

Feel free to PM me, happy to share my experience of it and anything else I can.
(I think many don't recommend the actual UKCAT site, because it's rather limited for practice and most save the mock exams on there until the last moment, since they are the closest format to the real exam...at least for certain sections. Don't be fooled by the difficulty of the QR. On the day the computations are far easier.)

MedicineDream

I am self employed now, I do the odd private shift/teaching etc. Only left the RAF just recently and I want to put everything into attempting a to get into med school. I don't stand much of a chance as I am a mature student with no A levels, but one can but try! I am awaiting advice from various admissions teams. I have a FdSc so I am hoping they will let me have a go! Even if it means a foundation year.

My biggest weakness is AR. It absolutely ruins me!! Every time I read the solution I think it's really obvious. Then I attempt the next lot and I get most wrong! ARRRGHHHHHH! Practice practice practice!

RN2014

Hey i am a Paramedic also!
I just did my UKCAT last week and got an average of 754. I was in exactly the same position as you, getting frustrated wanting to answer all the questions.
Eventually after scoring badly on the practices i realised i needed to change my approach. Any question i was "struggling" with, skip, immediately, then come back to it later.

Are you applying to GEM?

MedicineDream

Hey i am a Paramedic also!
I just did my UKCAT last week and got an average of 754. I was in exactly the same position as you, getting frustrated wanting to answer all the questions.
Eventually after scoring badly on the practices i realised i needed to change my approach. Any question i was "struggling" with, skip, immediately, then come back to it later.

Are you applying to GEM?
Wow! Really!! That's awesome knowing someone with same background as me. Yeah I've got to come to terms with the fact I haven't got the time to ponder. Which universities are you applying for?

RN2014

Wow! Really!! That's awesome knowing someone with same background as me. Yeah I've got to come to terms with the fact I haven't got the time to ponder. Which universities are you applying for?
Yeh same! What degree do you have?
I have a foundation degree in Paranedic science and completing a BSc in health care practice, whilst training to be an ECP for an Urgent Care Centre.

I live in London. So ideally would like to go to Bartd and the London.
Applying for:
Barts
Warwick
Kings
? Southampton.. (not sure on fourth option yet)

Where are you applying?

MedicineDream

Yeh same! What degree do you have?
I have a foundation degree in Paranedic science and completing a BSc in health care practice, whilst training to be an ECP for an Urgent Care Centre.

I live in London. So ideally would like to go to Bartd and the London.
Applying for:
Barts
Warwick
Kings
? Southampton.. (not sure on fourth option yet)

Where are you applying?
I also have the FdSc but am not studying towards BSc. Just coming to end of maternity leave. I'm limited due to that fact. Therefore applying to Cardiff (dream choice to train in Wales, where I'm from), Bristol, Nottingham and KCL. But realistically I am probably looking at foundation year also. Just waiting on replies from uni admission offices wrt eligibility.

I'm assuming your first choice is to study medicine. Second choice to continue as ECP?

umar3061

Hi, are the majority of the verbal reasoning questions going to be the new long statement questions this year? i am very bad at those, does anybody have any useful strategy for the long verbal reasoning questions, i am really stuck

RN2014

I also have the FdSc but am not studying towards BSc. Just coming to end of maternity leave. I'm limited due to that fact. Therefore applying to Cardiff (dream choice to train in Wales, where I'm from), Bristol, Nottingham and KCL. But realistically I am probably looking at foundation year also. Just waiting on replies from uni admission offices wrt eligibility.

I'm assuming your first choice is to study medicine. Second choice to continue as ECP?
Im sure I read that kings GEP accept healthcare professionals without degrees, although their UKCAT cut off is always high.

Yeh thats the plan. Hopefully medicine and work as an ECP duing med school. If not work as an ECP for a year, save money and reapply next year.

When is your UKCAT?

MedicineDream

Im sure I read that kings GEP accept healthcare professionals without degrees, although their UKCAT cut off is always high.

Yeh thats the plan. Hopefully medicine and work as an ECP duing med school. If not work as an ECP for a year, save money and reapply next year.

When is your UKCAT?
Yes that's correct about KCL, however less places on a 4 year, more competitive and judging by my UKCAT practices I won't be accepted anywhere! Must keep trying though.

Sounds like a good plan on the work front.

PGNC

I am self employed now, I do the odd private shift/teaching etc. Only left the RAF just recently and I want to put everything into attempting a to get into med school. I don't stand much of a chance as I am a mature student with no A levels, but one can but try! I am awaiting advice from various admissions teams. I have a FdSc so I am hoping they will let me have a go! Even if it means a foundation year.

My biggest weakness is AR. It absolutely ruins me!! Every time I read the solution I think it's really obvious. Then I attempt the next lot and I get most wrong! ARRRGHHHHHH! Practice practice practice!
I'm sure they will, just do your research thoroughly. I know plenty of applicants who've gone in and done a foundation year. Just manage your time and stay focused throughout on test day, use S.C.A.N.S. if it helps finding the relationship in AR. Let me know how it goes!

MedicineDream

I'm sure they will, just do your research thoroughly. I know plenty of applicants who've gone in and done a foundation year. Just manage your time and stay focused throughout on test day, use S.C.A.N.S. if it helps finding the relationship in AR. Let me know how it goes!
Devastated, just been told I can't apply to Cardiff. My dream choice. So so gutted. Didn't do well enough in my GCSE's (17 years ago!), my mother was critically ill back then, hence why I have studied later in life. Gutted. Waiting to hear from 2 more uni's! Fingers crossed.