1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UKCAT Buddy

Discussion in 'UKCAT' started by waterside63, Apr 21, 2012.

1. waterside63

waterside63 New Member

Hi all,

I think it will be nice to motivate and speak to someone who is willing to take the UKCAT this summer. I have already sat for ukcat and gamsat last year...

This time I am planning to do a course for the UKCAT.

I have a BSc in Biomed... so if any of you is interested, we can always communicate through newmediamedicine inbox or email.

If you want to learn something, read about it; if you want to understand something, write about it; if you want to master something, teach it. YOGI BHAJAN

2. Princewill

Princewill Member

Hi,

I am planning to take Ukcat, Gamsat and Bmat this year too.
    i have ony stated reading the Ukcat question and answer. For Gamsat, i have only covered the Biology.
    Yeah you can also communicate with me. I can afford tuition for any course for either of them so i am going to read on my own>>>>> wish me luck
    As you have taken Ukcat before , what was it like?

3. waterside63

waterside63 New Member

Have you taken gamsat before ?

I have no idea about the BMAT, probably I should take that one too..just worried-what if doing more than one exam ruins both like last time.

UKCAT is very weird in a way. I actually did it when I was in my first year just to see how it is, and in my final year of uni. The first time I did, I practiced a lot but didnt score much in quantitative reasoning. Second time around, I worked on that sec but got caught on the Decision analysis, which has been my favourite section. So I dont know how to balance really. And since you get very little time, at some point I just gave up and chose randomly in quantitative reasoning yet got the highest of the five !

4. mcespi

mcespi New Member

hello, am a final year nursing student and will be sitting the UKCAT and hopefully Gamsat this year. i have been studying for the ukcat but havent looked at Gamsat. really scared of doing gamsat cos am not good in science nor math but i have to try atleast.

5. waterside63

waterside63 New Member

Hi Mcespi,

I would suggest you to concentrate on one. Not saying that you cant just bcoz I couldnt but I havent heard of anyone sitting for ukcat and gamsat both for the first time and managed to get a place in med school.

I have taken both, so I know little bit about these exams. GAMSAT has got lots of Chemistry. Although I dont know how good you are in Biochemistry but apparently you need to have knowledge of BioChem at first year uni level...And people who went to my uni and studied nursing didnt do that much of chemistry neither did I. So I had to learn stuffs for the gamsat. You need to remember everything you did in your physics A'level and with Bio, things are little different. They design questions in a way where you need to apply biology knowledge although there are few question about things like function of SA and AV node for instance. And there are lots of graphs and I still struggle with those things..shame :(

You could probably sit for both but concentrate on one and get the feeling for the other one too. if you are lucky first time, then I guess you can open a Champagne bottle but if not then you will have a better idea next time around.

I am not very good in maths either thats why I struggle in the quantitative reason section of the ukcat. So practice and practice...Good news about gamsat is, physics questions are not too difficult but biology related graphs freaks me out even though I enjoy biology the most !

6. Princewill

Princewill Member

Hi Mcespi,

I am a 1st year nursing student but will be trying hands on the 3 this year (gamsat, ukcat ands Bmat) as i need to spread my wings wide enough and maximise my chances. i like to thionk positively and beleive i could do it. You can also send me PM if you need us to share materials and ideas. i need to start reading seriously from next week. Registration for UKCAT start next week and at least, that shld motivate me to get serious with the studies although my hands are full with kids and school essay deadlines

7. Princewill

Princewill Member

Hi Mcespi,

I am a 1st year nursing student but will be trying hands on the 3 this year (gamsat, ukcat ands Bmat) as i need to spread my wings wide enough and maximise my chances. i like to thionk positively and beleive i could do it. You can also send me PM if you need us to share materials and ideas. i need to start reading seriously from next week. Registration for UKCAT start next week and at least, that shld motivate me to get serious with the studies although my hands are full with kids and school essay deadlines

8. Fateemah

Fateemah New Member

Hello,

I would like to ask for some advice about booking the UKCAT, I am worried about exam results. I was thinking of booking for the 30 August, so then i get to see my result first, and if they are really bad I can cancel the UKCAT. I would also like to know what the UKCAT is like, I have never taken it before.

Many thanks.

9. sp_2011

sp_2011 New Member

Hello Fateemah,

first of all I am a bit unsure as to what you mean about cancelling the ukcat after you have your result, I am assuming you mean change your mind as to what universities you will apply to?

The UKCAT can be achieved if you start preperation early. Books say that revision for this test can't be crammed in at the last minute but it's best to start early enough so that you can practice question types etcc..

The earlier you start the better is the only advice I can give really, it will allow you to find your weakest section and you will have time on it. It is common that people get good scores and then one section can drag your mark down.

Just get books and have a look at the online tests and see how far you get!

Best Wishes

10. Princewill

Princewill Member

Booked my exams today fro end of July.

Starting to read serious from today. i think the key is just practice, practice and practice>>>>...

11. Fateemah

Fateemah New Member

Thanks for the advice, I guess I'll stick with the 30 august, so I get to see my exam results, and if they are bad I can cancel the UKCAT. :)
    Also I was thinking if I don't get into medicine I would like to do a degree in biomedical science or optician (don't know what the degree is called)..but I'm not sure which one to choose??

12. Princewill

Princewill Member

Hi Fateemah,

you dont cancel UKCAT once you've taken it but you can change your university choice as stated by someone in the earlier post in response to you.
    Just beleive in yourself and read as much as you can and leave the rest to divine intervention.
    i am trying to put in about 2hrs/day from yesterday but i get so sleepy once i've put the kids to bed afer my huse chores. God help me!! Wish me luck >>>>

13. Fateemah

Fateemah New Member

Thanks for the advice :) I have tried a few of the practice UKCAT tests and have not done too well...

14. Nua

Nua New Member

So when is everyone planning on taking the test?

15. Fateemah

Fateemah New Member

Hello,

I am thinking of taking mine on the 30 August.. :)

16. Nua

Nua New Member

Yeah, I'm thinking the same; around the end of August/beginning of September. Just need to wait for my bursary application to come through so that I can book a date! There's so much preparation that needs to be done for the test. I think making a revision schedule would really help but I don't know how I would go about creating one.

17. Fateemah

Fateemah New Member

Hello,

I'm just waiting for my AS exams to start and get over with, then i'll start thinking about the UKCAT. A revision timetable sounds like a good idea, you could also try some practice tests.

Good luck :)

18. Princewill

Princewill Member

Hi Fateemah,

What bursary application are you referrin to here? hope I am not missing anything

19. Fateemah

Fateemah New Member

Hello Princewill,

It was Nua who mentioned a bursary application in the earlier posts. I've already paid mine.

20. Nua

Nua New Member

Princewill, you're entitled to a bursary to cover the cost of the test if your circumstances deem you eligible. Check out the UKCAT official website, all the details are there under the bursary section.