Uk --> New Zealand

Kinkerz

Hey, not really sure whether this is the ideal place to post this message but here goes.
I'm a student in the UK doing A-levels hoping to get into medical school in the UK for 2009/2010 entry.
I'm just wondering what the process is in transfering from the UK to New Zealand once the medicine degree is complete? Do you wait until FY1 and FY2 are over? Or do you apply immediately after graduation?
Also, whether or not it is difficult gaining a competitive post like applying in the USA. Are there any exams that need to be passed to get a job?

Last edited:

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
I did a 6 month post in NZ after my PRHO job in the UK. The system is pretty similar. NZ has 2 year house surgeons (equivalent to FY1 and FY2).

All the advice is to apply after PRHO/FY as it used to be easier to get a random SHO post when you get back. I ended up doing anatomy demonstrating when I got back.

With run-through training and the MMC it migth be much more difficult to go back to the UK if you only do a year in NZ. If you plan to stay in NZ then you will need to do some post-graduate exams to continue practicing. Have a look at:

http://www.mcnz.org.nz/Registration/Howtobecomearegistereddoctor/tabid/71/Default.aspx

Pavan

I have offers for medicine at Manchester and Newcastle-upon-tyne in the uk. Does anyone know which of these 2 uni has a better reputation (esp in the Australia and New Zealand as I intend to work there later)?

millyhilton

wow this is exactly the same position as i am in, from the uk and thinking about maybe ending up in NZ, very tempted by Auckland, i am also planning to apply there for electives, does any one know whether sheffield, newcastle, leeds or leicester are regarded highly there? as I know there is a lot of competiton

Kinkerz

wow this is exactly the same position as i am in, from the uk and thinking about maybe ending up in NZ, very tempted by Auckland, i am also planning to apply there for electives, does any one know whether sheffield, newcastle, leeds or leicester are regarded highly there? as I know there is a lot of competiton
Much more competition in the US...

I think you should choose which medical schools you want to apply to based on course/location/social scence/etc, rather than which will give you a better chance in NZ. It'll be the grade you come out with, extra-curricula stuff, research, etc that will get you the job in the end.

Arch_Angel

I'm sort of looking at NZ if it all hits the fan (even more than it has already) here.

I feel loyal to the taxpayers that'll train me, but if I can't get a job there's no point staying.

Kinkerz

I'm sort of looking at NZ if it all hits the fan (even more than it has already) here.

I feel loyal to the taxpayers that'll train me, but if I can't get a job there's no point staying.
It seems as though it's going to be pretty difficult to build a career in the UK under the current system for training docs... I don't plan to stay unless there's some form of improvement over here.

millyhilton

Much more competition in the US...

I think you should choose which medical schools you want to apply to based on course/location/social scence/etc, rather than which will give you a better chance in NZ. It'll be the grade you come out with, extra-curricula stuff, research, etc that will get you the job in the end.

yeah i was just wondering really, I am thinking of changing Leicester for another choice, i just dont think i will enjoy it if i go there... suggestions?!

scaryhair

yeah i was just wondering really, I am thinking of changing Leicester for another choice, i just dont think i will enjoy it if i go there... suggestions?!
Have you actually been to Leicester before? I strongly recommend that you do if you haven't yet done so.
A few months ago, I was keen on applying to Leicester because it looked brilliant from the prospectus and the website. I visited the Open Day in June, and it just didn't grab me. I couldn't see myself happily living there for at least five years of my life, so I ruled it out.
I think location is a big thing to consider when thinking about your choices.

millyhilton

Have you actually been to Leicester before? I strongly recommend that you do if you haven't yet done so.
A few months ago, I was keen on applying to Leicester because it looked brilliant from the prospectus and the website. I visited the Open Day in June, and it just didn't grab me. I couldn't see myself happily living there for at least five years of my life, so I ruled it out.
I think location is a big thing to consider when thinking about your choices.
Yeah that is pretty much the same as me, I went to the medical focus open day, guessing thats the same one you did, and recently ive decided to completely drop leicester as an option, I was at the time very impressed with the medical school but yes the location did not strike me as somewhere i wanted to be.
Am on a work placement atm and i spoke to a F1 today who when asking me where i was going to apply before i could give an answer said ' dont apply to leicester' he had been and said the teaching was rubbish, it surprised me but he seemed to feel quite strongly about it! Anyway i fear we are veering slightly off the NZ topic here...