UK medical school -> US residency

natalierose

I know that my visa will not be a problem since I am a US citizen, but will I still be at a great disadvantage for attending medical school in the UK when applying for US residencies?

Or will not having to get a visa at least give me a chance of getting into a decent residency program?

Has anyone ever made this transition/know someone who has and do you think it's realistic?

Scottish Chap

Super Moderator
I know that my visa will not be a problem since I am a US citizen, but will I still be at a great disadvantage for attending medical school in the UK when applying for US residencies?

Or will not having to get a visa at least give me a chance of getting into a decent residency program?

Has anyone ever made this transition/know someone who has and do you think it's realistic?
The reason that non-U.S. trained physicians face discrimination when applying for U.S. residency positions is not a inherent distrust of other educational systems. It's merely that they (residency directors) won't deal with visa issues if they don't have to (and with so many qualified U.S.-trained physicians, they usually don't have to). Short answer: you will be less desirable than a U.S.-trained U.S. citizen, but more desirable than a foreign-trained foreign citizen, and the same or slightly less desirable than a U.S.-trained foreign citizen.