Uk med school applicant wants to practice in the USA

CaptainGenius

Wasn't sure where to put this but as you can see from the title I want to practice in the USA.

I am at the point where I am going to be applying for medical schools in 2012. In a ideal world full of money and rainbows I would apply to a USA medical school but don't think that would be possible due to the huge cost. I can't think of any ways I could possibly afford it. I also have a uk undergraduate degree but understand I would have to redo it.

So my question is really two questions:

1) Are there any ways around the money issue? It has been suggested to me to study in the carribean as it would be more possible for me to get in there than trying to match with a uk med degree. From what I've read though that also seems expensive and with a whole set of other problems.

2) How difficult is it to match and get residencies in usa with a uk medical degree and will it haunt me for the rest of my career. Or would residency in the usa or a graduate qualification in usa after my medical degree mean that my uk medical degree is no longer any issue.

I understand the importance of usmle exams and that getting great scores will help but the specialities I have interest in now are competative so I want to give myself the best chance possible that is possible to acheive if that makes sense.

Scottish Chap

Super Moderator
Wasn't sure where to put this but as you can see from the title I want to practice in the USA.

I am at the point where I am going to be applying for medical schools in 2012. In a ideal world full of money and rainbows I would apply to a USA medical school but don't think that would be possible due to the huge cost. I can't think of any ways I could possibly afford it. I also have a uk undergraduate degree but understand I would have to redo it.

So my question is really two questions:

1) Are there any ways around the money issue? It has been suggested to me to study in the carribean as it would be more possible for me to get in there than trying to match with a uk med degree. From what I've read though that also seems expensive and with a whole set of other problems.

2) How difficult is it to match and get residencies in usa with a uk medical degree and will it haunt me for the rest of my career. Or would residency in the usa or a graduate qualification in usa after my medical degree mean that my uk medical degree is no longer any issue.

I understand the importance of usmle exams and that getting great scores will help but the specialities I have interest in now are competative so I want to give myself the best chance possible that is possible to acheive if that makes sense.
1. An M.D. from the Caribbean will be infinitely more expensive than a U.K. medical degree, assuming you have British citizenship. In addition, the degree from the Caribbean won't command the same respect, and the teaching will not be U.K.-cailber teaching. In short, this is not for the faint-hearted. In addition, the cost will be the same or marginally cheaper than an American medical school.

2. Please see my previous posts in the USMLE forum. It's all there. If you complete residency training in the U.S., the only hurdle to staying there is the visa issue. Solve that and you're fine.

CaptainGenius

Thank you,

So from how I understand your post (correct me if I misinterpreted). In terms of respect from potential residencies uk med degree thrumps carribean med degree (and us citizen and us med degree thrumps both).

I'll run along to the usmile forum to read your posts on there. I've read some of them but might have missed some.