U.K. Student moving back to the USA

Discussion in 'International Medical Students' started by Leah Fischer, Aug 22, 2016.

  1. Leah Fischer

    Leah Fischer New Member

    Aug 22, 2016
    Likes Received:
    I'm a US citizen who moved to England as a child. I'm starting medical school next year and I was wondering if there was a way I could do my residency in the states. If not I would finish my qualifications in the uk. I would also like to know how difficult it is to get a job as a doctor in the states if I didn't go to school there. How long would it take and what tests would I have to take?
  2. Martigan

    Martigan Super Moderator

    Mar 24, 2009
    Likes Received:
    I presume, your taking about studying med in the UK then going to the US?

    If so you will need the USMLE to accredit your degree to the US system.

    Another thing to consider, is the fact, that you have only a *provisional* registration in the UK, till you have completed your first foundation year in the UK. If you don't complete your F1 year wishing 3 years of graduating your medical degree lapses in the UK system meaning you couldn't cons back to practice here. Thus a lot of people who want to go to the US don't do USMLE till the have completed F1, so to keep thier options open.

    It's not something I have considered. Try the USMLE thread to know more...

Share This Page