1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trainee Ambulance Technician - Scottish Ambulance Service - 2013

Discussion in 'Emergency Medicine' started by adjmartin, Feb 21, 2013.

1. adjmartin

adjmartin New Member

Hi all!!! I am delighted to have been shortlisted for a trainee ambulance technician position in the SAS. I have my assesment day on Monday the 4th of March at 10.30am. I've already got my C licence so have to do the driving assesment the same day. If I am succesful the final interview apparantely is the week after and if I am succesful through that the 3 week driving course starts on April the 21st. So not long at all if I am lucky enough to be selected. I am looking for advice on what to prepare for on the assesment day and final interview? What is the cognitive excercise with the listening and repeating? Anything that will help. I am arranging to go and see my local station soon as well. Is anyone else shortlisted for the SAS trainee technicians role? I hope to hear back soon!!! Thanks!!!

2. adjmartin

adjmartin New Member

I have got through my assessment day now so just my final interview to go a week today!!! :0

3. adjmartin

adjmartin New Member

Well I had my interview yesterday and I have no idea how it went. I won't hear anything for 14 days unfortunately however. The questions they ask are fairly straight forward and provided you answer honestly and confidently I think that there are answers for every questions for individuals.

4. adjmartin

adjmartin New Member

Still waiting :( really anxious now and just want to know. Has anybody else applied for this intake?

5. t-glasgow

t-glasgow New Member

Congratulations and well done on getting to interview stage! :) I also applied for this (April) intake and had my fitness test four weeks ago, passed it but still waiting to hear about interview! :( Don't know if anyone else who had applied for lanarkshire and glasgow areas areas are still waiting also?
    Good luck adjmartin !

6. adjmartin

adjmartin New Member

Oh right? So you've not had your interview yet? Where did you do your fitness etc?

7. Skyetosh

Skyetosh New Member

Hi, all I am in the North intake, starting the driving course in sept,just wondering if anyone else is starting in sept?

8. adjmartin

adjmartin New Member

Well done getting in!!! I am still waiting to hear after my interview, the waiting is killing me, never wanted anything so much!!! How did you end up in a September intake? I hope that the April intake is not full!!! It was indicated that it would be the April intake that I would be taken in. When did you apply?

9. adjmartin

adjmartin New Member

Still Waiting... :( I am away on holiday on Saturday so I really hope i hear before then...

10. adjmartin

adjmartin New Member

I got a job offer!!!!!!!!! :)

11. campbelloreo

campbelloreo New Member

When did you apply?

Hi mate, firstly congrats on the job offer. Got a question about when you applied if that's ok. When did you apply and how long approx was the recruitment process? Also can you tell about the C1 requirements? I don't have a C1 category yet and am reluctant to pay for one until (unless) I get a job offer. I'm a police officer in Edinburgh and fancy a change of career. I have advanced driving experience but it's only in patrol cars/vans.

12. adjmartin

adjmartin New Member

Hi. Thanks very much! I'm over the moon. Believe it or not I have an offer from Scotland police force too to be an officer but gonna go with the ambulance service. I applied in total about 3 times but only once to the new system of constant takes of 2 times per year. I applied in August 2012(ish) and got my assessment day in march 2013. The final interview was a week after the assessment day then I got the job offer roughly 20 days after that. I start on May 12th to do my 13weeks then after I have my 3 weeks driving training. I already have my C1. I've made an effort in life to just get as many licences as possible as if I ever need work I can always do some driving. Particularly coach companies, they are always looking for drivers. I handed in my notice on the 1st of April and due to working in sales was told not to come back so have been off for nearly 5 weeks. So have been driving coaches and making some good money. In terms of the application to can apply without it but its worth getting it anyway. It cost me about £700 for the C licence which as you know gives you both. I am not sure about them funding it I don't know how that all works. Can I ask why do you want to leave the police force for tHe ambulance? Best of luck!!! It's not too hard.

13. campbelloreo

campbelloreo New Member

Cheers, that helps a lot. Which area/station are you going to? I'm 21 and 3 years into my police service and want a change. It's great but it's too stressful. Not so much when on duty but more off duty. I've had my house broken into by some of the people I've had to deal with and it's impacting too much on my personal life so I've moved house and want to join the ambulance service. Ashame really cos its a great job but we don't get the same respect from people like the ambulance service do even though we're there to keep people safe, even criminals. Do you know anything about the average numbers of people on each intake? Also can you shed some light on the assessment day and final interview? What exactly are they looking for? I've got a good idea already but if you don't mind taking the time to give me a longer answer I'd really appreciate it.

C

14. Whytes2607

Whytes2607 New Member

I applied middle or march and as yet haven't received anything apart from confirmation they had received my app. Starting to think I wasn't what they were looking for :(

15. adjmartin

adjmartin New Member

Hi mate,

Sorry for the late reply. The assessment day is a walk in the park. A driving test, fitness test, which is much easier than the police one, and the final interview... Just be yourself. They aren't looking for anything in particular as far as I can see. There is 63 of us in this intake and everyone comes from very different backgrounds. So don't worry! But do it now as its all changing in a couple of years and you will need a degree to get in. The university Glasgow Caley will be taking over everything and its a 4 year course.

Whytes-don't worry, just give them a phone and ask. I applied 3 times before I got in. And it's worth the wait. The course is fantastic!!!

16. campbelloreo

campbelloreo New Member

Thanks a lot for your help. I've got an assessment day in Dundee on 9th August. They said in the email that they're removed the driving assessment, I'm assuming this is because most applicants don't have it prior to joining and are expected to have it by the time they take up employment. Have you been assigned to a station yet?

C

17. adjmartin

adjmartin New Member

Good effort! Congratulations. Yeah I am assigned to Dundee. I start my exams on Monday. Time has gone so quickly. The course was really good though. I would imagine so as there were a lot of people who never made it on our course due to the fact they never got their driving licences on time.

18. campbelloreo

campbelloreo New Member

Glad you've enjoyed the course and I'm sure you'll enjoy Dundee. Did you apply for Tayside? I applied for either Fife, Edinburgh or Scottish Borders as I live in Edinburgh and don't want to travel too far for work. I don't know why my fitness is in Dundee, maybe it's because they rotate the place so folk don't have to travel too far.

For the fitness test it said in my email that they monitor your heart throughout. Does that mean they put probes on your chest while you're doing your step test?

C

19. adjmartin

adjmartin New Member

I applied for anywhere. The region is Tayside fife and forth valley so could have been anywhere there. I'm afraid there is spots on you while doing the fitness but I really wouldn't worry about it if your in the police. It's a diddle if your fit and don't smoke etc. it's mainly cause you could be climbing loads of stairs with heavy kit bags and defibs etc. just make sure you have dry hands lol.

20. campbelloreo

campbelloreo New Member

Yeah the fitness will be fine, I hope. I haven't done a fitness test in almost two years and I'm nowhere near as fit as I was when I joined the police but from what I've heard I don't think it's as demanding as the police fitness test.

My main concern about having white tabs being put on me is that I have a wee belly now and am a bit self conscious about getting it out haha! Surely they don't make you take your shirt off while doing steps?