1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Too much to go in PS, what should I leave out?

Discussion in 'Personal Statements and UCAS forms' started by NeverGivingUp, Feb 1, 2014.

1. NeverGivingUp

NeverGivingUp New Member

Hi guys

I'm applying for GEM 2015 entry and have made a list of what to put in my PS. I have too much to go into sufficient detail about everything, so I'm trying to narrow it down to what will give the best statement. The list is:

• volunteering as a reader for asthma UK (basically review all documents they produce before they are released to the general public, links to health education)

• volunteering on an ENT surgical ward as a Patient Support Volunteer where my roles involve chatting to patients, feeding them, helping out nursing staff etc. basically it's 2 hours of a week of direct patient contact. This placement is a minimum of six months (I started in November) but I plan to extend it

• volunteering for STEM, so far I have only done 2 days of volunteering but it involved working with kids

• volunteering in my school learning support department through sixth form- over 200 hours of helping year 7/8 students who had learning disabilities to read, write, spell and count. I often was left alone with students to help them, and had to motivate them

• work experience in GP surgeries ranging from 2009-2011, including shadowing staff during surgeries and home visits. I am trying to get more experience, but so far I've had no replies

• my application to undergrad medicine- my first interview and the first time I had to critically reflect on my performance. It also made me realise that I needed time away from home to become more confident and less introverted, which I now think I am

• running first aid sessions and teaching first aid in the first aid soc at my uni

• exec of my course (biomedical sciences) soc which involved me making weekly announcements in lectures to over 200 people, planning trips, organising events and charity fund raising

• talking to a friend who was an alcoholic and who was addicted to painkillers to make her seek help. She's now on the road to recovery as a result

Obviously, I'm going to write about why I want to do medicine, why I think I'll be a good doctor etc. too. This list is just the items that I want to narrow down.

Really appreciate any help!

2. DR. WHO

DR. WHO New Member

Nevergivingup- positive motto:)

You have some extensive experience there which you should try to include them as much as you can. Yes you want the p.s to be as punchy as you can. I can def relate back to my experience. Very much with a similar background as you. Try to add a line on reflection on the experiences u've had. Now days gmc is quite keen on medics being reflective and ways to improving themselves. I suggest u to download a copy of the gmc guidelines for good practice and try including them in ur p.s

Jus rem two things for ur p.s and hopefully interview: confidence and well rounded-ness. Given ur experiences and degree background I believe you have a good shot at med school. All the best mate

3. NeverGivingUp

NeverGivingUp New Member

Thanks for the reply (and I love the username!)

I will definitely get a copy of the gmc guidelines, and that's good tip about the reflective statements for each experience.

I think I'm a pretty well rounded candidate- I play sport for fun, spend the weekends with my friends/ shopping/ visiting museums/ hiking but have still got a first on every assessment so far.

Thanks mate, it's nice to hear that someone thinks I have a good chance of getting in!

4. Muslim Medics ICSM

Muslim Medics ICSM New Member

Hello,
    Yes I'd agree adding a few lines of reflection about any challenges you oberved during your experiences and how these were overcome/mangaged would show good insight and maturity.

Imperial College London run a day course for medicine applicants called PotMed (14th Sept, costs £20) which covers one-to-one advice on personal statements which you might find useful, and also mock interviews and admission tests practice. You can probably google further details, I'm sure there's other courses available too - I just happened to be aware of this one as some of my colleagues attended and said they would recommend any potential medicine applicants attending.

Best wishes for your application!

5. Simon1988

Simon1988 New Member

Hi!

I just had a read of your post, it seems like you have worked on getting a range of work experience behind you.

To be honest, based on what you have posted its difficult to select which ones you should talk about in your personal statement. I don't think that it necessarily matters that you shadowed GPs or ran first aid sessions, I think universities are more interested in what you have learnt from these placements and how you have chosen to reflect on this in your PS. How have these placements helped you to decide that medicine is something you want to pursue? How have they highlighted that you have the attributes medical schools are looking for? I think my main point is that all of your experiences are relevant but I would chose the ones that have meant the most to you, or helped to affirm your desire to study medicine.

I hope that makes sense!