Thinking of applying to Cardiff.. slightly worried.

Discussion in 'Cardiff Medical School' started by furifo, Oct 1, 2009.

1. furifo

furifo New Member

I was seriously thinking of applying to Cardiff University but after having read some topics here about GCSE requirements I'm having second thoughts. I can't find anywhere on Cardiff website about converting GCSEs to points. As far as I'm aware I think I meet the requirements.

GCSE - A*A*A*AAAAABBBC (Note, one of the 'A's' is in a short course subject so I don't think this counts)

I meet all the grades for the specific subject requirements as well e.g. maths, english, science etc

I didn't gain entry into medicine last year. Four rejections :(. However, I'm on a gap year and filling it with medical related work experience.

A Levels - AAAc. The 'A's' include Biology and Chemistry.

I don't think there should be a problem with my A Levels (It's that damn C as AS that annoys me sometimes though).

UKCAT - 640

Would I stand a decent chance of gaining at the very least, an interview? I was rejected last year from all 4 of my universities without even gaining 1 interview.

2. jonesy_boy

jonesy_boy New Member

THE GCSE point scoring definitely happens - they explained it clearly at the Open Day (top 9 GCSEs : A*=3, A=2, B=1)

If I was you I'd get in touch with the Admissions Office at Cardiff to check what the cut-off score was last year for people who already have A Levels as you do.

Note that you aren't guaranteed an interview even if you get past the GCSE cut-off though. They also review your PS in determining who to interview.

#2 jonesy_boy, Oct 1, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
  3. dotvicky

dotvicky New Member

I confess, it hadn't even occurred to me that my GCSEs might not be enough.

I wonder how this points system works for matures who couldn't get A*s. In theory, that means the absolute best score we could get would be 18 points. :|

Mind you, I'm currently trying to get admissions to tell me if I can apply with my 4 A levels (As and Bs) and my 3 AS levels (As and Bs) and my degree (2:i) because apparently, that's not enough!

(The 'small print' states that as a school-leaver, I can have either A level Chemistry *or* A level Biology - the other at AS level whereas as a graduate I have to have A level Chemistry *and* A level Biology. Grrrr...)

Cheers
    Vicky

4. furifo

furifo New Member

It would be seriously unfair if they placed you in the same GCSE category as us lot. One of my friends was at a uni open day (can't remember which one it was) and they were saying that anyone applying who had done their A levels on the old syllabus (only being able to achieve up to an A) won't be disadvantaged against those who were on the new syllabus (those who can achieve up to an A*). I assume they would take the same considerations for you if it wasn't even possible for you to earn A*'s at GCSE but it'd be better to contact them and ask.

There may be a couple of universities that do not mind you not having both chemistry and biology at A level although I'm not terribly sure :s. Is cardiff the place where you really want to go?

On a side not, I've decided not to apply to Cardiff anymore on the basis that my GCSEs will disadvantage me against other applicants

5. dotvicky

dotvicky New Member

I'm applying to Cardiff because it's the next closest to home after Bristol rather than for any other reason (obviously, I wouldn't say this at interview!). I don't have an issue with them wanting both Chemistry and Biology at A level, I just have an issue that they require it for grads and not for school-leavers. Seems a bit unfair to me.

We'll have to see what they say.

6. sre

sre New Member

i was also thinkin of applyin to cardiff. my gcses include A*,5As,2 Bs and 2 Cs, and at A level ABB in psych, chem and bio respectively. And im doin my degree in biomed and predicted 2.1 and achieved an average of 535 in ukcat. do i have a chance then if i apply to cardiff?
    Thanks

7. bix

bix New Member

As I just posted on another thread, my GCSE score totals 7. I was rejected without my a level grades, but had an offer with AAA in the bag. It is possible, I started on the course 3 weeks ago.

8. impatient

impatient New Member

matures are treated differently, mature graduates are treated differently again. Im a mature graduate; A*s didnt exist when i took my exams.

if you;re in any doubt ring med admin at cardiff; there very friendly and will disucss your individual circumstances with you.

9. Generation

Generation New Member

Cardiff has some of the nicest admissions tutors around. Of course this is a generalization, but in general the School's admissions policy seems nicer than some other schools (no names mentioned here). The point of this is, they tend to look more positively on mature students. If you have used your gap year well, you stand an excellent chance of getting in.

Having advised secondary school admissions before, I think your grades are adequate. Good luck.

10. mg17

mg17 New Member

Hey guys , i was looking for some advice as im in a difficult situation.
    Medicine was the only career i thought i would ever want and i was very close to applying this year but then i lost confidence , couldnt secure work experience in hospitals and people always accused me of diong it just because my father wanted me too.
    Now i am on the verge of sending my ucas application tos study chemical engineering. Im not comfortable about this and was thinking if i could apply fo 2011 entry for medicine take a gap year and then seek advice and do more experience.
    i would then apply with 3 alevels in the bag is this possible.
    please guys i need help!!!!1

11. Generation

Generation New Member

Question - why are you writing this in the Cardiff thread? Just wondering.

As for what I think... if you definitely want to do Medicine then yes, do take a gap year and get experience. I suggest taking a few more A levels or AS levels in the year if you're intending on going for top institutions. Hospital experience is a must.

Good luck.

12. mg17

mg17 New Member

i wrote it here because i couldnt find a thread about problems and general questions.
    Thanks for your advice i appreciate it.
    I had 5 A* (One being re shortcourse ) 3 A's 3 B's and a C
    As Level AABB
    Predicted : 3 A's at Alevel

do you think thats okay for medical school and will it give me an advantage if i have 3 A's in the bag and then applying ?

13. Generation

Generation New Member

Certainly it won't disadvantage you. I think it will depend on what you do in your gap year. I hope you've planned it well with lots of relevant experience and CV boosting internships/attachments. You'll need to prove you're really prepared for it.

Your grades should put you through to interview in most medical schools.

14. mg17

mg17 New Member

Thanks !!
    Regards to work experience im a qualified scout cub leader , i have been a youth leader for 2 years.
    Im planning a weeks placement at a nursing home in february , and durring the summer a 5 day placement at a hospital.
    then during my gap year i will hopefully secure a job working for the nhs as im 18.
    I think this will help alot , however i was thinking if i achieve 3 A's in the summer what happens if the grade boundaries go up to an A* ?

15. Generation

Generation New Member

You better ask admissions office about this - phone or e-mail. The policy is changing every year so it would be better to talk to admissions.

I suggest asking Professor Geraint Williams if you're going for Cardiff since he is the Head of Admissions this year.

16. nat17

nat17 New Member

I was thinking about applying to Cardiff, but on their website it said that the usual GCSE score should be at least 5 A*s, people with less are rarely accepted. this bummed me out as i have 4, should have had 5 but my teacher didn't tell me I ahd messed some coursework up until it was too late to change it :/