The BIG UKCAT choices thread.

user555944

Hey everyone :)

Just need some advice on where to apply.

UKCAT 620 Average :/

Gcse's 9A*s 2As

As 4As (bio, chem, maths, history)

Predicted 2A*s 2As

- Lots of extracurricular activites and work experience.

Is it worth applying to Kings?

Also I have to choose between Nottingham, Leicester, Southampton and St Georges - any suggestions?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Interesting

Heres a question...

Would a university that has a really high UKCAT cut off point interview the same number of applicants?

Would this then mean that with a good UKCAT it would be advisable to apply to unis where the cut off point is lower because then you're application might have an advantage over the majority of applicants?

Zabier

Heres a question...

Would a university that has a really high UKCAT cut off point interview the same number of applicants?

Would this then mean that with a good UKCAT it would be advisable to apply to unis where the cut off point is lower because then you're application might have an advantage over the majority of applicants?

Depends which University you like.

joe04

Which universities should I apply to with a very low UKCAT score(507): Cardiff, Dundee, Manchester, Sheffield, Keele?

conorcd

Which universities should I apply to with a very low UKCAT score(507): Cardiff, Dundee, Manchester, Sheffield, Keele?
avoid newcastle, durham, sheffield, manch, kings (unless you have lots of gcses at A* as kings will look at that rather than your ukcat). all these unis wanted 650-715 minimum. there is a page which says which unis don't go by ukcat. will send the link when I find it.
what are your gcses? cardiff want lots of A*s too.

joe04

avoid newcastle, durham, sheffield, manch, kings (unless you have lots of gcses at A* as kings will look at that rather than your ukcat). all these unis wanted 650-715 minimum. there is a page which says which unis don't go by ukcat. will send the link when I find it.
what are your gcses? cardiff want lots of A*s too.
Thanks for answering. I'm a non-UK EU student, so no gcses.

kaodeve

not sure about Dundee as UKCAT accounts for 20% towards score. Aberdeen only counts for 4% so you might want to check them out.

kaodeve

Just need some advice on where to apply.

UKCAT 620 Average :/

Gcse's 9A*s 2As

As 4As (bio, chem, maths, history)

Predicted 2A*s 2As

- Lots of extracurricular activites and work experience.

Is it worth applying to Kings?

Also I have to choose between Nottingham, Leicester, Southampton and St Georges - any suggestions?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Have a good read here. Have no ideas on the unis you are looking at so best to research them for yourself.

Medicine - The Student Room
UKCAT - The Student Room

intlhopeful

international student foreign to the requirements of UK med schools

Hey guys,
I'm an international student and have been planning to apply to UK med schools this year. However, I didn't do too well for my ukcat...
VR:500
QR:730
AAR:590
DA:730
overall:2550
avr:637.5
Before I sat for my test, I actually thought of apply to these 4 schools;
-Manchester
-Aberdeen
-Birmingham
-Glasgow
Taking my ukcat results into consideration, should I reconsider my options?
My 'A' level results weren't too bad though. 3 H2 As and 2 H1 As. I did quite a bit of volunteer work too. Advice anyone:(

conorcd

Hey guys,
I'm an international student and have been planning to apply to UK med schools this year. However, I didn't do too well for my ukcat...
-Manchester
-Aberdeen
-Birmingham
-Glasgow
My 'A' level results weren't too bad though. 3 H2 As and 2 H1 As. I did quite a bit of volunteer work too. Advice anyone:(
don't think ukcat high enough for manchester. look on the link in the last couple of posts to check about the others.

kaodeve

Hey guys,
-Manchester
-Aberdeen
-Birmingham
-Glasgow
Cut-off for Glasgow last year was 652.5 and doubt it will go down for 2012 entry.

gh70

I officially hate the UKCAT and Glasgows stupid admission policy! What did you get Kaodeve? I have been studying in the GU library for weeks now and every time I think Im getting somewhere, out pops the hand of the UKCAT to take away what it has just given!!
Argghhhh!!!
Thursday cant come quick enough, just to get the bloody thing out the road!

kaodeve

I officially hate the UKCAT and Glasgows stupid admission policy! What did you get Kaodeve? I have been studying in the GU library for weeks now and every time I think Im getting somewhere, out pops the hand of the UKCAT to take away what it has just given!!
Argghhhh!!!
Thursday cant come quick enough, just to get the bloody thing out the road!
I got a mediocre 660 but it was enough! Good luck for Thursday! Lmk how you do.

doctork2

Hey guys,
-Manchester
-Aberdeen
-Birmingham
-Glasgow
Hi, welcome to the forum.

I believe your score for UKCAT won't cut it for Manchester... Birmingham does not take UKCAT into consideration (not a part of the ukcat consortum). Glasgow's UKCAT cut-off was around 652 last year, and I bet it's going to go up this year.

My advice is to apply to St. andrews instead of Manchester, as you will able to do 3 years of med in Fife (where St. andrews is located) and for your clinicals, you will be able to go to Manchester. So in a sense, it's a win-win situation (for you, I presume).

Ask away if you have any questions :) I'll be more than happy to help!

-doctork2
p.s. I'm an international as well and I'm going to sit my ukcat in a week... eeeek!

Arnold Layne

Did my UKCAT today (finally!) and would like some advice please. I'm a graduate btw, worth bearing in mind. So is my score of 697.5 good enough for the following?

GEPs:

Barts and The London
Warwick
Southampton

Standard degrees:

Kings College London
Barts and The London

I know you guys aren't fortune tellers and that cut-offs vary from year to year but I'd like to know if these are sensible choices or not, especially the KCL 5 year. I hear KCL is very competitive, even it's A100 course. Does anyone know what the "top 25%" was for 2011 entry? Thanks :)

alancam

Hello all,

I, too, have had a disappointing UKCAT day.

I was expecting to achieve a result of around 700, based upon practice of the online/600Q/etc questions. However, I obtained an average of 625 (VR 670, QR 630, AR 530, DA 670).

This was a tremendous shock to me. AR and QR were completely due to lack of time, being unable to read all the questions. AR, which I have found very easy in practice, would simply not "click". None of this was helped by the fact that I was sat under the air con, which was both noisy and kept on blowing freezing air at me!

Unfortunately, this has blown my application choices out of the water.
Originally I planned to apply to St Bart's GEP, King's GPEP, Glasgow 5y and Edinburgh 5y. All but the last now seem a waste of time looking at the above.

Do any of you have any suggestions? I am just so devastated. The worst thing is, I think I have a pretty decent application otherwise (saying that, all of us do!):
MChem (Hons) degree (2.1) from UoEdinburgh
2As in Advanced Higher Chemistry and Physics
6As in Higher Human Bio, Chem, Physics, Maths, English, Computing
7 "1's" and a 2 at Standard Grade

Plus significant volunteering in caring environments (about 6 months, few hours a fortnight) and work experience.

All the best to everyone else :).