The BIG UKCAT choices thread.

magpie7

*KNOWN UPDATES FOR 2010: Found at bottom of the post*
>Please post any updated information regarding the UKCAT requirements for this years cycle that you know of... Preferablely with some kind of source to back it up.

Hello all,

I was bored and decided to conjure up a UKCAT 'scoring and choices' thread. Please note that this information is what I have found out from (quite a lot) of reading around and isn't 'official' by any means. Please use it as a guide and if you think you have more accurate information, tell me and I will update it. Also please tell me if you think I have missed out (or misplaced) any Universities from any sections of the thread.

Enjoy reading!

<600:
Okay, so there are now a few Universities that you will have to cross off your list. However, there are still a good number that you can apply to!
-BMAT Universities: Cambridge, Oxford, ICL and UCL. These do not use the UKCAT, but have instead decided to use the BMAT admissions test. Please continue to the end of the thread for some notes on the BMAT.

Non-UKCAT Universities:
Bristol, Liverpool, Lancaster and Birmingham. Remember that these Universities are usually more competitive and require a greater academic record (on the whole) than many other Universities. Birmingham requires 7A*s for example. Liverpool score A* and A grades at GCSE equally, and also will never use the number of A*s someone achieved at GCSE to differentiate between similar candidates after interview.

Low-weighting UKCAT Universities: These are Universities that don't put a great deal of emphasis on the UKCAT. This list is debatable, but include: Aberdeen, Keele, UEA, Cardiff, Southampton, Edinburgh, Queens Belfast, St. Andrews, Leeds, HYMS and, to some extent, Leicester.

Aberdeen: 4% of application.
Keele and UEA: Generally just low weighting on UKCAT score.
Cardiff and Leeds: Use UKCAT to differentiate between similar candidates 'after' intwerview.
HYMS: 10 points out of the 60 that make up your application, hence 16.67% of applicaiton.
Queens Belfast: Put much more weighting on GCSEs. UKCAT sub-test scores below 600 result in a point lost and vice versa. (See DLS' post for more details.)
Leicester: In reality, makes up 25% of your application, however, so long as you score over 500 in each sub-test, you are only going to lose 2 marks out of the 20 that make your application. As far as I'm aware, you need 16/20 for interview.

Edinburgh: 8% of application (but require excellence elsewhere as they do not interview.)
St. Andrews: 10% of application.
Southampton: See bottom of post.

600-650:
This is a good average score which shouldn't really become too big an obstacle whilst choosing your University options. Still, Universities you should now be wary of applying to are: Sheffield, Newcastle, Durham, KCL and Manchester.

Sheffield: Told by admissions that 675+ is what they are looking for.
Newcastle, Durham and Manchester: Rank applicants in order of UKCAT score, interviewing the top X. As a result of using this method, UKCAT requirements for these Universities, unlike most other Universities, can vary a considerable amount each year. 650+ is just a score that will make it very likely you make interview.
KCL: Apparently a good academic record can make up for a poor UKCAT score and vice versa, however, Kings is still seen as a University that requires a good score on the whole (650+.)

650+:
I would now feel comfortable applying to anywhere, with the exception of Sheffield (675+.) You should be on the interview list of the Universities that list their applicants in rank order of UKCAT score and interview the top X.

BMAT:
Please bare in mind that you take this test 'after' you have sent your application, so if you get a terrible score, it's too late to change your options. Your test centre also has to make an application, on your behalf, for you to sit the BMAT admissons test. The test takes place on November 4th and results are released on December 1st.

09/10 Cycle Updates:
Durham this year apparently wanted 650+
Sheffield seem to have pushed their UKCAT requirement higher. Possibly 690+
Southampton would have rejected anyone with a score below 592.5

Last edited:

Kinkerz

For now at least, might be worth sticking Leeds in the low-weighting category. To the best of my knowledge, they use it post interview to distinguish between two similarly scoring applicants.

(Nice idea by the way)

magpie7

For now at least, might be worth sticking Leeds in the low-weighting category. To the best of my knowledge, they use it post interview to distinguish between two similarly scoring applicants.

(Nice idea by the way)
Thanks! I should of remembered that, as Leeds was initally somewhere I was going to apply to if my UKCAT score was on the lower side of average. =)

piece_by_piece

You can add St Andrews to the universities which put a low weighting on the UKCAT. They only use it for 10% of the whole application. Edinburgh also only use it for 8% of the application, but you really do need an excellent overall application in order to get an offer, especially as they don't interview. Lancaster don't use the UKCAT either (they are Liverpool's 'partner' university- i.e. although you go to Lancaster, you get an MBChB from The University of Liverpool) Also, Barts and The London had a cut off of 612.5 for 2009 entry, so anything above that should be fine, providing the cut off doesn't rise this year (I think it will though).

magpie7

You can add St Andrews to the universities which put a low weighting on the UKCAT. They only use it for 10% of the whole application. Edinburgh also only use it for 8% of the application, but you really do need an excellent overall application in order to get an offer, especially as they don't interview. Lancaster don't use the UKCAT either (they are Liverpool's 'partner' university- i.e. although you go to Lancaster, you get an MBChB from The University of Liverpool) Also, Barts and The London had a cut off of 612.5 for 2009 entry, so anything above that should be fine, providing the cut off doesn't rise this year (I think it will though).
Thanks! I have added Edinburgh and St. Andrews to the list, but will keep Lancaster out for the time being, as I've always thought of them as 'Liverpool' to be honest. (However, if there is a huge objection to this, I will add them in.)

Edit: Thanks for the Barts information too. I will just take them out of the thread completely, as they are now included in the opening statement of '600-650' part of the thread: "This is a good average score which shouldn't really become too big an obstacle whilst choosing your University options."

Last edited:

DLS

Its relatively small use at Belfast. There you get 4 points for A*s and 3 for an A for your top 9 GCSE's, then you get:

+1 point for each UkCAT section above 600
0 for each UkCAT section equal to 600
-1 for each UkCAT section below 600

Last year you need 31/32 (can't remember) for an offer. So if your GCSE's are good, UkCAT was pretty irrelevant.

magpie7

Its relatively small use at Belfast. There you get 4 points for A*s and 3 for an A for your top 9 GCSE's, then you get:

+1 point for each UkCAT section above 600
0 for each UkCAT section equal to 600
-1 for each UkCAT section below 600

Last year you need 31/32 (can't remember) for an offer. So if your GCSE's are good, UkCAT was pretty irrelevant.
Thanks, DLS. I will add that in now.

Edit: E-mail from Queens Belfast some months ago:
"The threshold varies from year to year; this year we have made offers to those with 34 points overall. Even if you feel that it is unlikely that you would be made a conditional offer, if you are seriously interested in Queen’s, we would still advise you to include us as one of your UCAS choices."

Last edited:

YeahTom

Hey.
I've read in 2 different threads about University of Sheffield, one says 675 and one said 670. I was just wondering if anyone could give me a definitive answer (I got 672.5 you see :p).
Thanks.

magpie7

Hey.
I've read in 2 different threads about University of Sheffield, one says 675 and one said 670. I was just wondering if anyone could give me a definitive answer (I got 672.5 you see :p).
Thanks.
I phoned up last Friday, and the woman at the admissions office definitely told me 675. (Well, she said 2700 total.)

Edit: Perhaps last year was 670, but as it is likely to raise every year (due to competition, inflation etc) maybe this year it is 675?

Just an idea.

But still... Being 10 points off (they use total score) shouldn't be a reason to turn you away. (Unless they have a strict cut-off.)

Last edited:

DLS

Last year sheffield had a cut off of 2680 (670 average). The cut-off this year isn't decided till they can see the scores of the applicants. Although it will be around the same mark (maybe slightly higher due to inflation?)

dotvicky

I rang Oxford and they said the lady there said they expect you to get more than 700. Is that likely to be correct?!?!

Cheers
Vicky

YeahTom

Last year sheffield had a cut off of 2680 (670 average). The cut-off this year isn't decided till they can see the scores of the applicants. Although it will be around the same mark (maybe slightly higher due to inflation?)
Just with regard to this.
This is the reply I received from Sheffield.
We do not have a specific cut off score for the UKCAT, the reason for this is because we do not receive the scores from Pearson Vue until the middle of November, by which time the UCAS deadline has passed. We take the scores into account after the applications have been graded academically and on the personal statement and reference. Those that have achieved high scores in all areas are likely to be called for interview. For entry this year those with around 2680 were invited for interview.

raihyou

Can a mod sticky this thread? A lot of people seem to be asking questions about whether they should apply to a uni or not depending on their UKCAT score and this is a good outline of their criteria.

Brilliant idea magpie7!

Medic2

Hey, i only got 610 in my UK-cat and i really want to go manchester (since i live here) but with that score is it a bad idea, i am also applying to Lancaster and Leicester. (not sure about my 4th option tho.
Also i didn't do too well in my AS levels ABBB a level predictions are AAA
and my GCSE's were kinda poor as well 2A* 4A 3B 1C
So i really want to know if my chosen universities are out of my league someone let me know
Magpie7 you seem to know a lot about med message me please.

House Jr.

shouldnt kings be in <600 too? i mean, applicants who got a ukcat score in the 500s region still got an interview since they had a good academic record, but i agree that they may need around 650 if the academic record isnt that good. so maybe put it in both places.

Hi, I got 600 in my UKCAT and I'm trying for Manchester, UEA, Leicester and perhaps Aberdeen (not sure yet). There's so much written on here about UKCAT but I reckon it's all scare-mongering. If you have a good academic record and work experience, why shouldn't you get an interview?!? The UKCAT isn't the be all and end all. Everyone on here seems to have really good solid UKCAT scores and alot of them are complaining and I just don't get it! If you have a score of 500-700 (the AVERAGE SCORE people get on the silly UKCAT) and you match the criteria the med schools are asking for, I say follow your dreams. If you have a score of under 600, why should that disadvantage you, you still have as much chance as everyone else with good grades and wide variety of decent work experience!!!!

Last edited:

raihyou

I say follow your dreams. If you have a score of under 600, why should that disadvantage you, you still have as much chance as everyone else with good grades and wide variety of decent work experience!!!!
I really don't agree with you saying that a low UKCAT score won't disadvantage you because I know people who got rejected because of their UKCAT score. The intent of this post is to help people see how heavily the universities weigh the UKCAT. So of you want to go to Sheffield (who have a cut-off score of 670/675) but you have a score of 600, there is no sense applying because you know from the outset that you are not going to get an interview and ends up being a waste of a valuable option.

On the other hand you are right that it shouldn't discourage you from applying but you want to carefully pick the universities that put a lower weighting on the UKCAT to give you the best chance of getting in because everyone else also has the good grades and the work experience :)

magpie7

Can a mod sticky this thread? A lot of people seem to be asking questions about whether they should apply to a uni or not depending on their UKCAT score and this is a good outline of their criteria.

Brilliant idea magpie7!
Thanks Raihyou. =) I would love for this thread to be stickied; but it's not the end of the World if it isn't. =D

Hey, i only got 610 in my UK-cat and i really want to go manchester (since i live here) but with that score is it a bad idea, i am also applying to Lancaster and Leicester. (not sure about my 4th option tho.
Also i didn't do too well in my AS levels ABBB a level predictions are AAA
and my GCSE's were kinda poor as well 2A* 4A 3B 1C
So i really want to know if my chosen universities are out of my league someone let me know
Magpie7 you seem to know a lot about med message me please.
Hey,

Your adademia is fine! Shouldn't really need to worry about that. As for the Universities you hope to apply for:

Manchester: As mentioned, they rank their applicants in order of UKCAT and interview the top X; so the cut off could vary a lot from year to year. Try phoning admissions and asking what the cut off for Manchester has been in previous years.

Lancaster: Do not use the UKCAT.

Leicester: Take your lowest sub-test score. If it is >500, you score 3/5. >600 and you score 4/5. You need 16/20 for an interview. Three other areas are scored out of 5 too, to make up the rest of the 15 points: Reference, Personal Statement and Academia.

shouldnt kings be in <600 too? i mean, applicants who got a ukcat score in the 500s region still got an interview since they had a good academic record, but i agree that they may need around 650 if the academic record isnt that good. so maybe put it in both places.
Still, you must remember that these applicants are few and far between. On the other end of the stick, we could say that people with straight 'E' Grades at GCSE got an interview with an average score of 900 on the UKCAT. Again, situations like this are few and far between and that is why Kings isn't in a 800+ score part of the thread.

Still, a good point. Although, I have mentioned the fact that good GCSE grades can make up for a lower UKCAT score.

Hi, I got 600 in my UKCAT and I'm trying for Manchester, UEA, Leicester and perhaps Aberdeen (not sure yet). There's so much written on here about UKCAT but I reckon it's all scare-mongering. If you have a good academic record and work experience, why shouldn't you get an interview?!? The UKCAT isn't the be all and end all. Everyone on here seems to have really good solid UKCAT scores and alot of them are complaining and I just don't get it! If you have a score of 500-700 (the AVERAGE SCORE people get on the silly UKCAT) and you match the criteria the med schools are asking for, I say follow your dreams. If you have a score of under 600, why should that disadvantage you, you still have as much chance as everyone else with good grades and wide variety of decent work experience!!!!
Let me highlight a sentance in your statement there:
"and you match the criteria the med schools are asking for..."
Many Medical Schools do set critera to be met concerning the UKCAT, ie. Sheffield at 675+.

"If you have a score of under 600, why should that disadvantage you, you still have as much chance as everyone else."
If applying somewhere that requires a score of over 600... You really don't.

Last edited: