1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Taken my UKCAT test today... got REALLY Bad scores :( Advice Needed

Discussion in 'UKCAT' started by Anum7, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Anum7

Anum7 New Member

Am I still eligible to apply to medical schools? What unis shall I apply to? Got an average of 500. Its really really bad. Couldn't perform well because I had a cold : ( Please please please do suggest me what to do? Btw currently I am doing BSc Honours Biomedical Sciences and am graduating next year. I have been predicted to get 2.1 but I am aiming to get 1st class degree. My GCSE grades were not good enuff and for Alevels I did an equivalent course which is BTEC National Certificate. For instance if I apply to Keele, Aberdeen, Dundee or UEA, do they take GCSE and Alevel grades into an account?? Please let me know... I am really confused and disappointed at the minute : (

2. YaAli786

YaAli786 New Member

Hey Anum my names anum too LOl!
    I dontt hink you should be so worried as ukcat doesnt mean everything. My cousins doing med 5 yr course at queen mary and she had a 2.1 in bio med and BBDc at a levels so i dont think u need to be so worried! Ukcat is a hard exam 500-700 is average so u dnt need to worry! I know ppl with 400's to get in so u no ....

3. Anum7

Anum7 New Member

Aww!! Thanx a tonne. Feeling a bit better now... It has always been my dream to get into to King's College. But with these scores I don't think I can apply there this year : (

4. Anum7

Anum7 New Member

Aww!! Thanx a tonne. Feeling a bit better now... It has always been my dream to get into to King's College. But with these scores I don't think I can apply there this year : (

5. Anum7

Anum7 New Member

Thanx!!!
    What about A-levels do they take that into account???

6. Bubblez.MD

Bubblez.MD New Member

Hey!

Leicester Uni don't look at UKCAT too much, they have some sort of grading system where they give you points out of 5 for academic e.g 4/5 for a 2.1, and ukcat etc, so UKCAT is only part of their application, so have a look! Good luck[/B]

7. conorcd

conorcd New Member

look at
    Medschoolsonline - Medical Course Guide for Graduates - Graduate Entry 4-Year Courses

8. Anum7

Anum7 New Member

Thanx alot for your advice. Feeling much more better!!! The info which you've provided helped me alot. Thanx for your time = )

9. angelic_memories

angelic_memories New Member

UKCAT - as usual

Hello people..I had my test yesterday... and I actually felt like a innocent dummy after having my results...incredible..was trying not to think about it too... -_-" ..*sigh*
    I had average of ...what was it? 497.something. How terrible is that?? Was even wondering how I managed to get 550 in QR...ridiculous...
    And it was only later that I realised that in the VR it was better to read the question before reading the passage...like "duh!" =_="
    The actual problem was that I figured out too late that you have to actually do some practise for the questions..
    All this to ask if I'm ever to go somewhere with this kinda score...

10. Anum7

Anum7 New Member

My University is the worst university in the UK. They are not providing me with my predicted degree class. And the reference they've provided is open and is not good at all. Don't know what to do now = [ I have been emailing my tutor and even went to see him in person but still I didn't get any positive response from him. Arrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggghhhh I'm soooooo upset. Only got a week left to sort everything out. My PS seems good to me though. Any advices wud be much appreciated... Thanx!!!

11. Anum7

Anum7 New Member

Hope u did well in ur test = ) Good luck with everything!!!

12. Anum7

Anum7 New Member

I am in my final year of BSc Hons Biomedical Sciences. I've asked several tutors to write me a reference, they are all willing to do so but they say they can't predict mt degree class because its not in their university's policy - stupid policy :< So far I have got two references from two diff tutors, they seem ok but at the ending paragragh it say in bold "degree class prediction is not our university's policy". And the references are open. I was thinking if the second one seems good then I am gonna use that one - alas its of no use = {

13. conorcd

conorcd New Member

of course you can. follow this link and go to the part about ukcat. It tells you how each uni ises ukcat and which don't need it. some unis only use it as 4% of your score so other things more than balance it out.
    The Student Room - Announcements in Forum : Medicine

14. conorcd

conorcd New Member

phone up the admmissions officer of any med school you want to go to AND email them so they have evidence you made the effort. explain it to them (without being rude about your tutor) they know some places give lousy references (I know some places you can get guidance for your referee) and that some places exaggerate so don't panic-they will look at other aspects but do phone now

15. saz_t

saz_t New Member

hey,
    I also have pretty bad UKCAT (557 av) and whats worse is that i dont have a profile for the non-cognitive analysis section (aaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrg! apparantly i didnt answer enough questions!). can anyone help?!?!?! Im not sure how important the non-cognitive section is.

Im going to apply to bristol as they dont look at UKCAT at all, mayb you should look into that? Isnt Dundee a good choice as they dont pay much attention to the UKCAT?

16. saz_t

saz_t New Member

so with really bad UKCAT scores and no non-cognitive profile, which unis can u recommend?

I have chosen Aberdeen, UEA, Leicester and Bristol

17. mchaudhry

mchaudhry New Member

Hey could someone give some advice plz on what unis i should go for out of these:
    Kings 6 year, SOTON 6 year, peninsula/keele/Barts, aberdeen/st andrews/st georges

GCSE's: 1A*, 4.5A's, 3B's and a C
    A level predicts: AAA
    UKCAT: 620 (pretty bad i know lol)

#17 mchaudhry, Oct 10, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2009
  18. conorcd

conorcd New Member

Liverpool don't use UKCAT either and apparently the unis are only going to use the non-cog bit in years to come- when they have more years results- to see if it does give accurate predictions of what we will be like (to decide if they should use it to differentiate between applicants) so don't worry about it. I would post the tsr link about how UKCAT is used but BeMyEnemy will tell me off again

19. saz_t

saz_t New Member

thank u for ur reply. its good to know that it isnt used by unis, but im still a little worried that they might wonder y i dont have a profile. we will wait n see.

thank u again

20. conorcd

conorcd New Member

620 is good- in top 40% (ish) and most unis would be fine withit, Barts have cut-off for 5 year that aroung 612.5 last year and Kings look at UKCAT and GCSEs -think you have what they all ask for (doublecheck on their websites and on The Student Room - Announcements in Forum : Medicine)
    Why Soton 6 year? do you have non-science a2s?