Swansea Graduate Entry Medicine Applicants 2015

Discussion in 'Swansea Medical School' started by M150, Jul 8, 2014.

1. M150

M150 New Member

Hello all :D

Considering that it's now July and lots of us are starting to think about UCAS forms and GAMSAT stuff, I thought it might be a nice time to get the 2015 applicants thread started.

I'm definitely planning to apply to Swansea. Anyone else around?

Mia

2. Nuggy

Nuggy New Member

Im planning on applying to Swansea too - although you probably know that as I think we may stalk the same boards....

3. M150

M150 New Member

Hi Nuggy,

How's the application going? I still prefer here - more people to ask for their experiences on other boards but you get much more sensible and useful information on here.

How's the GAMSAT prep going?

4. Nuggy

Nuggy New Member

Hi M150. Applications are going ok. Glad to have got the UKCAT out of the way and it’s all about the GAMSAT now. I’m just struggling to fit everything in though, with working full time, taking care of my giant 10 month puppy, volunteering and keeping up with training - I do triathlons and also have my first marathon in October :-s
    But I have a much more structured approach this year so hopefully that will be reflected in my score. However I do think my puppy was trying to say I have been studying too much as I came home yesterday to find one of books in pieces! (see attached)
    How about yourself, how’s your application going?
    But yes I agree the boards here seem better than TSR. I find someone of the questions on TSR very basic, and it seems many people haven’t done any of their own research and most of the answers to their questions can be found on the uni websites etc.

Attached Files:

5. Zorg

Zorg Member

Glad I'm not the only one with issues with TSR. I like this board, it's like a haven for the elderly :D
    Nug, I can sympathise with the time management issues. HCA work is great, but irregular shift patterns can be a PITA. I've given up training for the next 6 weeks, I may sneak back in for procrastination purposes...

6. Armadillo

Armadillo New Member

Cute doggy! I wish my cat would destroy my chemistry revision book! She's more likely to sleep on it.

I'm going to apply to Swansea, I liked the Open Day.

7. soptah

soptah Member

Does Swansea have any particular cut off score for the essay section of the GAMSAT? Or do we just need to meet the overall cut off, with a minimum of 50 in the science section?

Thank you

8. mesoldsan85

mesoldsan85 New Member

Last year I think the overall score they wanted was 57 ( with a minimum of 50) - someone feel free to correct me

9. mesoldsan85

mesoldsan85 New Member

I was asked by the uni to explain my employment gap (1 year). I am confused as `i applied last year and they never asked me about it - but now they are...

10. Zorg

Zorg Member

Things seem to have quietened down here. How did everyone find the visit day?

I keep wishing I'd booked an earlier slot for the interview, end of Jan seems so far away. At the same time it will give me a good punt at preparation and practice.

11. M150

M150 New Member

Heya all :) I actually got an offer for Swansea! Hugely excited because its my first choice. Any other offer holders on here?

12. persianmd

persianmd Member

Congrats M150!

13. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

Congrats!

14. Zorg

Zorg Member

Offer here as well. :D See you in Sept Mia, congrats again!!

15. Dan_H

Dan_H New Member

Hi all,

Well done to those who have received an offer from Swansea. I am a current first year and thoroughly enjoying the course. The MedSoc have created an offer holders group on facebook which will allow you to meet others. Closer to the summer when the majority of people have firmed their choice of university, the group will then become the first year point of contact. Here is a message from Alison Zander, MedSoc president.

Congratulations and a warm welcome to all offer holders to Swansea University, College of Medicine, Graduate Entry Medicine, enrolling in 2015!
    This group is for you to connect, chat, ask questions and share information about the course, your decisions, Swansea and anything GEM related over the next few months.
    It is administrated by current 1st years in the MedSoc committee, so we will use it to let you know of any events designed for you from now until September.
    Looking forward to meeting you all.

The group can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1606248069608705/

We look forward to meeting you all. And good luck to those waiting to hear.

Cheers,

Craig

16. MRJjohnson

MRJjohnson New Member

You beat me to it!