Swansea grad medicine interview - written assessment!?

Discussion in 'Swansea Medical School' started by cactus_farmer, Dec 19, 2012.

1. cactus_farmer

cactus_farmer New Member

Hey all, does anyone know what the 'written assessment' part of the Swansea grad medicine interview process involves?

Is it an ethics/essay writing thing, or speed maths and quantitative reasoning tests?

Does anyone have experience of doing it?

2. Joanna2012

Joanna2012 New Member

This is one of the changes Swansea have made this year, they didn't have any written assessment last year.

I have been wondering about this too, but no idea yet what it will involve.

3. dreamyrover

dreamyrover New Member

Hellooo,

I can safely say I have absolutely no concrete information regarding this BUT just by knowing how the med school thinks, my best guess based on what they really like making us current med student do, is reflective writing. I would be willing put a few pence on your written assessment being a piece of reflective writing based on an interesting and/or though provoking moment of your life or work experience.

When you find out please post the details!!!!

cheerio

dreamy :)

4. Wellies

Wellies New Member

Hello. I was wondering about the written assessment as well, it took me by surprise when it was mentioned in the email!
    Also, is anybody taking references from volunteering work etc. to the interview? I was asked to obtain references from all those types of experiences for SGUL. Do you think Swansea will want to see them?

5. omlette

omlette New Member

Take them if you've got them, but to be honest Swansea don't tend to ask to see letters from work experience - that's more of a notts/sgul kinda thing at the mo.

6. Wellies

Wellies New Member

Thanks. I may as well take them then.

7. cactus_farmer

cactus_farmer New Member

Has anyone phoned up yet and asked what this written assessment involves?

8. Wellies

Wellies New Member

Not yet. Im thinking of taking it as it comes. If we prepare well enough for the interview anyway we should have enough to talk about whatever the written assessment tuns out to be?!
    Here's hoping :confused:

9. renlok

renlok New Member

I've asked about it but they give anything away.

10. amg85

amg85 New Member

I have applied for Swansea gem 2013, their admin horse emailed me for additional information (early november), I have since received a xmas greeting from them, essentially informing me I am still on the system. UCAS track shows no change, however people have said they have had outright rejections and interview offers. I don't know either way yet...they're teasing me like a fine seductress, while I am stuck in limbo.

How does swansea contact you email? letter? ucas track?

I have been told by one of last years interviewees, that he didn't hear until the first week of Feb, and had his interview during the last week.... going by this...no news is good news.

n.b. Medical schools are usually take no prisoners with their rejections, heard within a week from all the others

11. cactus_farmer

cactus_farmer New Member

It has been impossible to contact them regarding this written assessment. By phone they will either not pick up or say that they're busy. By email they haven't got back.

If anyone knows any details about it - please post here!

12. noodle22

noodle22 New Member

It's nothing to worry about and nothing you need to prepare for. A bit of common sense and you will be fine.

13. cactus_farmer

cactus_farmer New Member

Thanks noodle, was it reasoning (numerical or language-based?) or essay writing?