1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Swansea 2012 GEP applicants

Discussion in 'Swansea Medical School' started by Tiki, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Tiki

Tiki New Member

Hi, Thought I'd start a thread for this year's applicants.....here goes!!! x

2. nath99

nath99 New Member

just gotta hope and pray that GAMSAT has gone well!!!!

3. Tiki

Tiki New Member

I guess I'm lucky on that front as I sat it last year but decided not to apply until this year. How was it though? The wait for results was agonising......Took over 9 weeks last year! Hope it's all a bit quicker for you. Looking at your A-level grades and degree predicted grade, I'm sure you'll be fine :)

4. nath99

nath99 New Member

i think it went ok :) the essays were a bit tricky, but i think i've done enough!

i'm not sure how much swansea take a-levels into account versus GAMSAT score! where else have you applied?

5. Tiki

Tiki New Member

That's good, just a waiting game now then. As far as I know, Swansea use the GAMSAT score as a final discriminator after the interviews (At the open day they gave the range of GAMSAT scores for a previous year's entry and they went from around 50 upto 78). They select for interviews by looking at the personal statement, academic reference and academic achievements....science A-levels aren't essential but I think they help (That said, if you put in a blinder of a personal statement then even without science an interview is def on the cards).

I'm only applying to Swansea as I have two children in infant school here so we're pretty much settled. I'm hoping the fact that I'm only applying to Swansea won't make it seem as though I'm any less dedicated.....fingers crossed.

Good luck with your GAMSAT score :)

6. nath99

nath99 New Member

in that case good luck! :) i'm sure you'll walk right in!

7. Tiki

Tiki New Member

Thanks :) What will be will be and all that......I'm happy just to hope for an interview for now!

8. Tigerlily_

Tigerlily_ New Member

Hello! Swansea use the GAMSAT score as 20% of your application, with the other 20% being your academics and 60% coming from your interview. A good degree can make up for a pap GAMSAT score and vice versa (my GAMSAT score was horrendous but I got a place).

Best of luck!

9. Tiki

Tiki New Member

Thanks for the info Tigerlily.....are you studying in Swansea now then? If so, hope you're enjoying it....please could you give me an idea what the timetable is like in the first/second year if you have time? I'm soooo excited about the prospect of finally getting in to do medicine, got everything crossed! Thanks x

10. Tigerlily_

Tigerlily_ New Member

It's brilliant so far!

Timetable varies every week but it is like 9-4ish on a Monday where we get our case presentation and 3 hours of anatomy, Tuesdays are usually for placement or you get the day off, Wednesday we probably have 3 hours of lectures/tutorials, Thursday is a half day of clinical skills and Friday is usually a full day of lectures too. It's hardcore but awesome :)

11. Tiki

Tiki New Member

Thanks for the info - again :) Sounds like you're loving the course. All the best with it x

12. Amy_Kitch

Amy_Kitch New Member

I've gone for Swansea! I think it would be a lovely place to study and have heard good things about the course. Wish we could get these GAMSAT results already!

13. Nevertoolate2012

Nevertoolate2012 New Member

I received my acknowledgement today via post, I sent it off last Monday.

14. Tiki

Tiki New Member

Swansea is an awesome place to live and study (especially if you like surfing)...I did my first degree here and stayed :) Had my acknowledgment yesterday too.....very exciting. Fingers crossed now for an interview! Good luck everyone x

15. Teshan

Teshan Member

Sent application to UCAS on 14 October. Still haven't received anything, but 3 other unis have replied by e-mail. Anyone in the same boat?

16. Priyanka00

Priyanka00 New Member

I'm in the same boat Teshan! I applied on the 15th and I still haven't heard back from Swansea. I'm thinking that the letter my come some time this week?

17. onesie11

onesie11 New Member

Yeah same here, sent mine on the 13th but still no acknowledgement, I have only heard from 2 of my choices.

18. Nevertoolate2012

Nevertoolate2012 New Member

I've received all my acknowledgements. As I wrote earlier, I received my Swansea acknowledgement on the 17th (sent UCAS application 10th). Maybe it is to do with when you apply, as some of you applied quite close to the deadline and they are still shifting through the applications. I wouldn't worry though.

19. Tiki

Tiki New Member

They're probably just working their way through, I wouldn't worry :) It all feels like a loooong wait though hey! Hope you get your acknowledgments soon......Some of last years posts suggest that they get sent out at different times.

20. swanseagirl

swanseagirl New Member

Just read on an admissions document that has appeared on the website that you need 50 or above on the GAMSAT. is this cut off new for this year? Not sure if this is overall or in the science section as in the open day they said they were only really interested in the science section? Did anyone else go to the open day and get this impression too!

Im thinking GAMSAT next friday!