suspension due to pregnancy

asos89

Hello,

I just wanted to know if anyone has been pregnant in end of 2nd or 3rd year (i.e. give birth in 3rd year) and was able to continue with clinical placements as I am told its university regulations to suspend me :( even though i want to continue.

lollie22

Hello,

I just wanted to know if anyone has been pregnant in end of 2nd or 3rd year (i.e. give birth in 3rd year) and was able to continue with clinical placements as I am told its university regulations to suspend me :( even though i want to continue.
I don't think the Uni can suspend you for being pregnant. You are entitled to 6 weeks maternity leave from studies. This was an article in student BMJ last year. I was pregnant throughout my whole first year and wasn't suspended and didn't get suspended and could progress normally. i'm now a 3rd year. I would look up maternity rights and don't feel under pressure. You are entitled to leave.

elz

i dont think they can legally suspend you. some med schools are really unsupportive with these things. iv heard of students being told to have an abortion by the med school. i would get some legal advice. BMA may be good? you may have to retake a year, or have a year out. but cant 'suspend' you.