Surgery & Anaesthesia Intercalation

Discussion in 'Imperial College School of Medicine' started by Han881, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Han881

Han881 New Member

Hi, I'm trying to get into the surgery and anaesthetics intercalation and I'm an external student. I wondered whether anyone had any advice? I am a fourth year student, unfortunately I failed an exam in 2nd year and I know its extremely competititve but I wondered if there is an angle which people know of that they might like?

Thanks

2. Han881

Han881 New Member

Hi Niki,

It depends what you want the course for as to whether you will enjoy it. It is very hard work, a lot of imperial students don't apply for it due to the difficulty in getting 1sts compared to the other bscs. It's very sciency, you will know how to read a scientific paper inside out. If you think academic medicine might be for you, then it's a good course. Lots of cellular stuff, and cancer mechanisms. Mod two is inflammation and a little bit more of the clinical side of anaesthetics (but still theory). The projects they offer are very interesting.

I would aim for about a page. Say what you can offer imperial as well as your academic credentials, they'll like you integrating etc. Professor McGregor is lovely, so email her if you have specific questions. Emphasize interest in basic science, as that's what you'll be doing. This isn't a course where you'll be observing cool surgeries etc. Lots of group work and lots of presentations! I talked about my career plans etc. Look through your portfolio for inspiration, that's how I did it.

Hope that helps.

Hannah

3. smack

smack New Member

Thank you so much for your help. It really gave me in -site on the course and I know that it is going to be extremely hard but I really enjoy anaesthetics and understanding the basics behind it.

Just need to get my other things sorted out and then send my application off soon. :)