1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stupidest things said in interviews!

Discussion in 'Medical School Interviews' started by DrBaz, Mar 17, 2006.

1. DrBaz

DrBaz New Member

i was just thinking about my sheffield interview this week after recieving an unexpected offer!
    unexpected due to the fact that when i was asked 'why paediatrics?' i opened my mouth before thinking...

Dr : so...why paeds?
    Phil: Because i like to....(awkward pause after realising what i was going to say)
    Phil: to...
    Phil: because i can get hands on with the kids..(pulling an awkward face)
    Dr: (realises what i just said..)... Oh!...(pause)

NEXT QUESTION

2. Punam

Punam Member

hahahahaha...oh dude, im sorry..but thats pretty funny! but at least u got the offer! did they laugh when they realised what u said?

3. Muffintops

Muffintops New Member

he he! Brilliant!!!

i had an interview at Birmingham, n the asked me about the GMC, i replied that it was a registered charity (as it says on website,), then i was pounced on...
    Dr= registered charity dont think so lady, takin money off drs, not what i call
    a charity, you seem to have some strange ideas (i think i must have hit a
    nerve)
    Amy = (whimper) its just what i read
    Dr = well maybe ur right, i just dont think so somehow do you? in a really
    mocking and mean voice. then laughs all round at my expense.

Then when i sed being a dr would be really diverse (thinking more on lines of hospital care and A&E), he replied "hmmm, dont think u have the rite picture, if ur a GP ur gonna c lots of common colds n stuff, u sure this is diverse? im not sure you have a clear conception of the role" AHHHHHHH!! they were MEAN!!!

then the med student asked if i have hobbies, i told her bout bein a swimmer, n she said "well i hope u dont think ur gonna b able 2 swim that much at uni, u sure u know what u wanna do?" ITS JUST A SPORT!!!!!

and i lest the interview with my head in a paper bag... until the offer came thru 2weeks later!!! he he!!!
    Must not have responded TOO bad then!!!!

4. bridget

bridget New Member

Dr: What do you think will be the best think about being a junior doctor
    Me: Getting Paid!

In my defense I didnt engage brain before opening mouth and i had just been explaining how i would be able to afford 5 years of med school

oops

5. rachelm

rachelm New Member

At my Bart's interview they asked "why Bart's" and I reeled off a list of things about why I liked the place. Then I said "and the helicopter is cool!" They looked at me like I was three :(

ukmedstudent11 likes this.
  6. copperfungus

copperfungus New Member

At my Dundee interview, I admitted to skiving lectures, if I knew they are going to be rubbish! eek!

7. deedee

deedee New Member

Dr: ahh, i see you did a-level physics, tell me what you know about x-rays.
    me (brain goes blank): it's when they flash the light on the thingy! (d'oh)

Puzzled look from dr... then my brain switches back on or atleast i was able to blag it convincingly.

8. W-Alex

W-Alex New Member

In my Leics interview, the dr said 'so, what do doctors exactly do?
    Me: I listed somke things and then hit a blank before coming out with 'Well, they talk alot'
    That comment plagued my mind, that is until they gave me an offer!!

9. Just_ask_the_Axis

Just_ask_the_Axis New Member

Dr - "So what would you do regarding a patient who is offered heart surgery only if he agrees to give up smoking, which he refuses to do??"
    Me- "Keep him well educated on the matter and maybe call in a drugs/addiction guidance counsellor"....(pause)..... "i've had good experience with them" ...........long pause......... implying that i myself have had a drug addiction (what i meant to say is i've heard good things about them).
    I then laughed politley to try and relieve the tense atmosphere, the interviewers were not amused!!!!

10. Big_D

Big_D New Member

In my Glasgow interview:

Dr: Have you any idea of what specialty you'd like to pursue?
    Me: cardiothoracic surgery
    Dr: Have you any experience of this?
    Me: No, but I have thought about stealing a chicken and suffocating it, then attempting to dissect it.
    Dr: a kind of disturbed look and silence, then laughs all round.

Got an offer 10 days later tho.

11. JarabArab

JarabArab New Member

him: Negatives about being a doctor?

me: Fingers in bum ole.

him: Tell me about it!

pause...

me: well first you put a glove on then apply lubricant etc etc...

12. milly

milly New Member

interviewer at imperial: tell me about a recent article u read in the BMJ

stupid me: it was about smoking, smoking is something i have a true passion for!! oops, totally came out the wrong way

13. welshgal

welshgal New Member

Interviewer at Manchester: Can you explain why being a Doctor is the only field that appeals to you within the medical profession?

Me: Umm.........(mind officially goes blank and contains NO words. at all.)

Interviewers looking blankly at me for about a 10 second silence.

Me - thinking 'aarrghhh say something laura - quickly - but not something stupid. quickly. just say anything'

Me: um.........well.........ummm......

Another 20 seconds of blank faces and deafening silence.

Me : um, sorry I forgot what I was going to say.........
    Lucky for me, one of them changed the subject! and I got an offer! yey

14. sammy21

sammy21 New Member

yeh mine asked
    Dr: wat speciality wud u like to go into
    me: well i havnt thought that far ahead, i need to get a place for med school 1st! but i wud like to work in hospital setting.

Dr: wat do u think wud be wrong with ur friend? (that just ran out of a class crying and i found them staring into space)
    me: they probably just been dumped by their boyfriend/girlfriend!

they laughed at least but i had to think after and cudnt believe what i had just sed! oh well will wait and see ...
    Sammy

15. Polaris

Polaris New Member

Interviewer 1 - When do you think the Stone Age was. in terms of a date?
    Me - Um... 4000BC? I'm not quite sure how this was relevant to Medicine (d'oh!)
    Interviewer 1 - (looking annoyed) actually, 400000BC.
    Me - riiite.
    Interviewer 2 - Moving swiftly on then, so you said that you undertook extra experience....

Lol, not the best way to antagonise the interviewer, but that was a most random question at UCL regarding what I wrote in the third bit of the BMAT and I was not thinking properly... Deservedly no offer from them then. :rolleyes:

16. jedherman

jedherman New Member

I had a terrible time last year....

They asked why medicine and I gave the usual story and added that I didn't want an "office job" so one said "well isn't being a GP an office job? you'll be in an office" I though that was a stupid response, it was obvious what i meant so i said "Well yes it is, but when I said i didn't want an office job i didn't mean i wanted to stand in the middle of a field with a hard hat on" In hindsight i think that was rude.

They asked about stem cell research, and i said they should use the eggs 'cos they'd only get incinerated anyway. I went on to say that if people thought that fertilising an egg to do research is inhumane so then every woman that does not fertilise every egg in her womb is also preventing a potential life. Oh dear. I continued to say (and i quote) "the prolifers would soon change their tune if it was one of their friends/family that could have been treated with cures derived from stem cell research". I said that sometimes boundries need to be broken and (struggling for an example to justify last comment) that 100 yrs ago woman didn't have the vote, and without that (strugling agin to think of something) we wouldn't have....Thatcher. My god what was i thinking. They all sneared and one said "yeah, we've got a lot to thank her for!"

They said "What would you bring to our Medical School?" I said "Well i won't be on your rugby team"

What a day.

Got in this year though.

17. scrubs

scrubs New Member

I told Newcastle that I was sometimes unreliable, slept in, and bit my nails lol, didn't seem to affect my chances too much though. It was the answer to "what are your weaknesses?"

#17 scrubs, Mar 18, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2006
    ukmedstudent11 likes this.
  18. blackpanties

blackpanties New Member

manchester..i

i'd sat in a cafe for 3 hours drinking espresso whilst waiting for interview and in the interview we were talking about how to stop drug companies selling bad baby milk formaula to mothers in developing countries, i was slightly high on caffiene and thought i was a princess..

"ooh if i was ruler of the world i'd just make a law making it illegal" and gave a big cheesy grin

ok so you're not 'ruler of the world' and he sneered..

"ooooh..well then i'd get my team of breast-feeding ladies to go out and tell them how great breast-feeding is..." whilst i bounced in my chair and grinned.

i got rejected.

19. Tinks

Tinks New Member

interviewer: rite so wot does a surgeon do in his week?

me: uh... meet with the theatre team, discuss patients u gonna be seeing, look up patient notes and results etc. do surgery, visit paritnets on wards see how they are doing post op, going down to A and E, doing clinics, doing sum office admin work..... eventually the speech stops.

interviewer: okay thats monday MORNING (!?) u hav lunch wotcha do in the afternoon...... he persisted on going onto about wed/ thurs, asking about every about am and pm......!!!!!

i really couldnt think of ANYTHING more! wen eva i managed to eek sumat else up he'd go "okay so wot about the morning/ afternoon of the next day, of the next day, of the next" etc...... thort it wood neva stop

oh then then they asked if i did further med reading and i sed i had bort an extenion bio book my words exactly "yeah its HUGE, real door stopper that one. huh! yeah its about THIS big." says me wildly gesticulating with my hands..... looooooong pause. why did i feel the need to do this?

..... its not my fault, they had drivin me to insanity by that point.

jedherman will identify with this tale of woe ;) seeing as he had the same LOVELY (ahem) interviewers.

i didnt get a place....ah ha ha oh well ya live and learn.

#19 Tinks, Mar 20, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2006
  20. Helsuzaba

Helsuzaba New Member

Glasgow.
    Interviewer: So, tell me about a medical issue that you've read about.
    Me: Um, well, I was reading about the bird flu, and obviously that's a worry at the moment...
    *Interviewer nods for me to continue*
    Me: Err, and.... I read about the male pill the other day, um, its apparently quite effective nowadays, but I think women might not trust a man to take it... um... well, obviously as a teenager these issues, um, sex and contraception, interest me a lot ... *realisation, nervous laugh* ...
    *Interviewers all look very amused at my face, purple with embarassment*
    Me: (vainly attempting to stop them laughing outright at my discomfort) And I think a lot of other teenagers, I mean, the issue of contraception...
    And on and on I go, until an interviewer takes pity and changes to the topic of my life outside school.....

And I was (unsurprisingly) rejected! Oh well. Glad I'll never have to come face to face with them again, they think I'm some kind of sex-obsessed bicycle!

Tee hee. But it did make me prepare better for the next 2 interviews (and I got places there lol)!

Helx

Martigan likes this.