Student loans and moving from England to Wales

Discussion in 'Swansea Medical School' started by Mr.J, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Mr.J

Mr.J New Member

Hello all,

A complicated student loan question that many people at or hoping to go to Swansea will also come across. Any help would be much appreciated.

Does anyone know how the Student Loan system takes into account funding for students who live in England prior to starting a Swansea GEM course, but move permanent address to Wales on starting the course?

I assume the initial assessment for loan support is made by the home student finance organisation, but does that arrangement continue throughout the course or will students at some point have to switch to be assessed by student finance Wales? If so, how/when does this happen and what is the potential for chaos to ensue?

For the sake of the above query (not least as I don't know where creativity stops and fraud begins) let's assume that registering a permanent residence at one's parents' home address is not an option!

I've posted a similar query in the general 'mature students' forum, so if this applies to you keep an eye out there for any answers.

Thanks.

2. Tiki

Tiki New Member

Hi Mr.J....I'm not too sure tbh, but when I wanted clarification on funding for GEP Swansea I emailed the Money Doctors and they were really helpful...their email address is MoneyDoctors@swansea.ac.uk, hope they can help :)

3. Mr.J

Mr.J New Member

Thank you Tiki

4. omlette

omlette New Member

Unfortunately you'll be under the Student Finance England system and treated as an English student, so no Welsh Assembly fee assistance I'm afraid :(

I did my first degree in Cardiff and even though when I applied for my loan I'd been living in Cardiff for nearly 5 years (during and post-degree) I was still counted as an English student in the fees system because my old loan was through student finance England. Complicated, I know.