1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stow College - Access to Medical Studies 2012/2013

Discussion in 'Access to Medicine' started by bazmc, Feb 2, 2012.

1. bazmc

bazmc New Member

Hi Guys,

I have set up the thread for those of us who are applying of the access to Medicine course at Stow this year.Also for those who have completed the course to give us all an insight. Applications opened on line today

2. nicolajane1978

nicolajane1978 New Member

Hey, I put my app in for Stow yesterday. Here's hoping!!

I must be mad tho...I'm from Dundee and plan to travel every day if financially viable:D

3. delta9

delta9 New Member

I put in my application today

4. bazmc

bazmc New Member

Best of luck guys.

I think the commute from Dundee could be a bit painful to the wallet.

5. delta9

delta9 New Member

try doing it from portsmouth lol

6. nicolajane1978

Possibly, but I really , really want to study medicine and kinda see this course as my last chance....I'm 33 by the way...lol

7. bazmc

bazmc New Member

hi nicolajane,

do you also know that there is a perth course, that guarantees entry to medicine for top 5. think that is a little bit closer if you want to stay in dundee.

8. nicolajane1978

Hi, I've applied for that aswell....that would be my first choice and the Stow college course my second choice.....I'm just worried about being looked upon as too old as I'm 33...:(

9. bazmc

bazmc New Member

hi, I'm 27 but the people I have spoken to that have done the course, have said that people up to 40 have done the course.

10. rob2607

rob2607 New Member

Hey,

I just sent my application...exciting times!

Rob :)

11. ukstern

ukstern New Member

Ok panicking slightly at how punctual everyone is! I'm 28 and this is the first year I will have applied for the course - clearly I need to get a move on. I wouldn't worry, nicolajane, age isn't a factor with these courses (thankfully!)

12. bazmc

bazmc New Member

Hi guys,

Just to let you know I got my little postcard from the college, saying they havr got my app.

Has anyone been able to gain work expirence?

13. ukstern

ukstern New Member

I have done a fair amount of voluntary work in the past few years, just need to up my clinical experience a bit. I currently work in a hospital so have the opportunity to a bit of shadowing before the course, just need to get my application in!

14. calum_c

calum_c New Member

I'll be applying again this year. Applied 2 years ago and was told to do a chemistry higher and gain experience. I done both so reapplied last year. Was rejected for an interview because they used my 1st application again!!

I'll be getting my application form from the college, I don't trust their online system.

Best of luck everyone applying.

15. ChookiesMummy

ChookiesMummy New Member

Hi Guys,

I have also applied for this course :) Have had to put my career on hold due to having a baby a little sooner than expected! Have applied as now my partner as finished University I can now get back into education. Hoping this course will stand me good stead if I'm accepted!

16. bazmc

bazmc New Member

hi All,

I recieved a letter today asking me to obtain a satisfactory reference and it to be in no later than the 16th April. I find this totally iregular as when applying to get expierence at hospitals, your were lucky to get a reply back within a month, so I find it totally unacceptable that they are asking for this now when it was no outlined in the application process. Anybody else had a letter?

17. rob2607

rob2607 New Member

Hi bazmc,

I also received the same letter today. I assume they have received a large number of applications and are now ensuring that applicants have some prior experience. Do you not have any other voluntary experience you could use, I don't think it would have to be directly in a care setting...perhaps something similar, i.e. as a befriender would be acceptable? Just a thought :)

Robert

18. bazmc

bazmc New Member

I do have experience that I could use, i'm actually shadowing a staff nurse this week, so will ask him for a reference. I hope that should be OK. I have actually emailed the college to help explain what they are looking for in terms of the reference because the letter is not much to go on. But they have not come back to me yet.

I just find a bit strange, because the letter states they must recieve the letter no later than the 16th but applications are open to the 27th, meaning you are at a disadvantage for applying early.

The only thing I am worried about is that, is the reference, just to have some evidence that you have done some work, or does the quality of the reference depend wether you get in or not. Just the letter or website dosen't offer much to go on with that.

An example would be, would they rate experience shadowing a doctor more highly than say befriending?

You may have done both but used the befriender ref, and miss out on a place as a result.

Don't know what your thoughts are?

baz

19. rob2607

rob2607 New Member

I think the point of the reference is to ensure that you have some voluntary work/practical experience, rather than Stow College using it to decide whether you get in or not. I assume they will look at the applications again once they have received the references back and then decide who to invite to interview.

I think if you were to ask the nurse who you will spend a week shadowing to provide you with a reference, that would be fine.

I think all experience is relevant and equally as important, it is what you take from it that counts. So long as you can demonstrate/talk about what it has taught you, then I'd say it was fine. Having said that, I'm sure if you've lucky enough to have some experience shadowing a doctor...it wouldn't hurt to put it in! :)

Rob

20. bazmc

bazmc New Member

Lets Hope so Rob,

I have asked the college what the reference will be used for, so hopefully I get a reply.

Will let you know what they say.

baz