ssm case report

Discussion in 'Liverpool Medical School' started by Chang, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Chang

Chang New Member

howdy people,

my ssm6 is a case report, i've never done one before for ssm, always done reviews. so in terms of layout do you have to include a methods section like you do with the rest? as you wouldn't necessarily in a report for submission for a journal etc, but the mark scheme is generic for reports/reviews/audits etc... so as my honors grade is resting on this i want to get it right!

many thanks

2. PeteG

PeteG New Member

In the first instance you should discuss this with your SSM supervisor. I'd drop various hints about needing a distinction/merit or whatever just to let the supervisor know too!
    If I were you I'd plan your piece of work according to the SSM marking guidelines, after all that's the way it's set up. It doesn't matter if you do a lot of work and produce something really good, and the supervisor thinks it's good too, if it can't be marked appropriately. Don't forget that yours may be one of the SSMs picked for review, and deviations from the mark scheme might be penalised.
    I did an SSM in year 3 as per the supervisors instructions (in fact there were 3 of us doing similar stuff). We all worked really hard and were surprised when we all received basic passes - it became clear why when we looked at the way that the work had been marked. We appealed, but were told (quite rightly) that we didn't fulfill the marking criteria to get any mark higher than a pass.
    We shouldn't have listened to the supervisor.
    Do it by the book, and good luck!
    Oh yes, not getting honours, while a bit disappointing, won't be the end of the world, so don't give yourself a hard time if this happens.

3. Chang

Chang New Member

cheers for that, essentially reinforced what i was already thinking. my convener has been away for half of the ssm, and appears to have no particular interest in the actual report as such, but more in us getting some good clinical experience, more like a SAMP than an SSM. which i like, don't get me wrong, but of course the generic marking descriptors are what they are. so i'll be a good girl and jump through the hoops.

and in terms of the honors part - i know it doesn't really make a blind bit of difference in the end, but it would be a right pain to fall at this last hurdle - especially as i had no idea i would actually pass finals on the first go. thanks for the advise, much appreciated x

4. Alex01

Alex01 New Member

Hi,
    I've only done one SSM so far, but I know exactly how you feel. I was in pretty much the same situation with a case report and a ("[convenor] appears to have no particular interest in the actual report as such, but more in us getting some good clinical experience, more like a SAMP than an SSM"). I couldn't find any info on how to do the write up other than the one paragraph in the SSM book, so don't bother looking on the net, in the library or asking the uni.
    I agree with Pete's suggestion, write it up according to the mark scheme and don't leave any sections out. I did just that and it served me well. It was difficult and at times seemed somewhat obsurd, but I took the questions in the mark scheme and tried to interpret them in such a way that they would apply to a case report. Effectively you wind up writing a report about writing a report, so at times it can be pretty confusing, resulting in a sort of house of mirrors feeling.

Since your on SSM six I might be telling you things you already know, so please just ignore the following if that's the case. Depending on what you're doing you might be able to use my approach which saved me a lot of time. This may sound a bit strange, but I decided within the first few days what condition/disease I wanted to write about and then started looking for a good case to write up. I hadn't thought about it til now, but in retrospect I think this was a good strategy, because you can start reading up on the disease/ condition while you're looking for a case that lends itself well to a write up.
    In the mean time you can learn a lot more from all the cases that you see that may not be suitable for a report. Additionally, choosing what type of a case your going to write up early on allows you to start your literature search, introduction and write up of the aetiology of the disease/condition etc early. I found the actual section on the individual case only constituted a small part of the entire report maybe 1/3 to a 1/4.

If you want any more help or advice, feel free to PM me. I think if I write any more detailed stuff on here everyone else reading this forum will die of boredom.

Alex

PS I really enjoyed my SSM it was the best part of first year.

5. crajee

crajee New Member

Hi,

Not sure if anyone is still active who has posted on this thread :)P) but if anyone would possibly be willing to show me their case-based SSMs so I could get an idea of how they were structured as I am feeling completely clueless (no chance of plagiarising obviously as I would be the one that would get screwed in the end... ha) on what exactly to DO? It's for my SSM6 so I really don't want to fail this thing! :/

Thank you