Some questions on the pbl and tips on how to organise your study time?

Discussion in 'Liverpool Medical School' started by mattymoo, May 26, 2013.

1. mattymoo

mattymoo New Member

I've got an offer to study the undergraduate medicine course at Liverpool from this September!!! :D

I've heard from some sources that during the pbl sessions, the learning 'objectives' are divided out between the students in the group and then they all feed back to each other at a later date. But some sources suggest there's no splitting of work like this, and that everyone researches all aspects of the scenario. Which one is the case in Liverpool? I would prefer to research everything myself, and then be able to discuss it with everyone else at the next session, rather than relying on other people's research.

Also, how do people organise their self-study time? How many hours do people usually do each day? Is it mainly sitting at a desk with a textbook and a computer, or do a lot of people go to the HARC?

Thanks!

2. Rebs

Rebs New Member

Hi Matty,

I'm heading into year 2 this year. Everyone does all of the PBL objectives, however you all contribute what you discovered during the feedback session as you go through each objective.

Everyone studies differently. Some make power points, some type out notes, some draw and put all the main points on one page... Personally I think HARC is under used, so I'd definitely recommend you do an extra study session there (however most people don't). A lot of people work in the library, which can get crammed, with some studying at home/in halls... You'll find what works best for you as you go on. One piece of advice though... Don't spend your pennies on anatomy and physiology books till you've borrowed a few from the library, so you know which ones you like best :) congrats on your place!

3. mattymoo

mattymoo New Member

Thanks for replying Rebs.

I've heard a bit about how people don't tend to use the HARC. Why is that?

About textbooks: is it possible to just borrow books from the library and renew them for the whole year? Or do they stop you doing that somehow? Also, are there many textbooks to go round in the library? Or is there a mad dash at the start of the year to take out the ones you want? And is it noisy in the library whilst it's crammed, or are there silent areas where people can work without being disturbed?

Do you have any more tips for first year?

Thanks!