1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

shifts and hours

Discussion in 'Emergency Medicine' started by Nicky83, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Nicky83

Nicky83 New Member

In the Scottish Ambulance Service what would a 'newbie/tech going through training' work with regard to shifts? would every shift be a 12 hour one or would it be different day to day? Would they be on the standard 37.5 hours work week? five days on two off? Also would you work regular shifts or would each week be different?

Many thanks!

2. MadeofSteel

MadeofSteel Member

With it being relief you are pretty much on anything they can give you to be honest. The hours just depend on what station it is, some stations do 12 hour day's and others 9 for example. The amount of hours you work in a week could go as high as 48 hours I believe but they will try and even it out so you do less the following week.

3. ballibeg

ballibeg Member

Depends where you go really. I'm rural so do a lot of on call shifts, that's a period 'live' followed by the rest of the 24hr period on call. This could be from home or if you are covering a station away from home it could be from a hotel. I'm currently covering an area without a station so I am living in a hotel for 7 days. It gets wearisome having no freedom for 7 days. My station does 7 days on, 7 days off. Thats a week of 12hr days, week off, week 12 hr nights, week off, week on call, week off, repeat. As relief though I have just done 7 days on call in one station, one night at home and am now away for 7 in a hotel.

[​IMG]

Other areas may see relief never leave their own station. I'm getting a fantastic education as I'm working with many different folk and have time to study during my live hours. Every cloud silver lining etc....

Dave

#3 ballibeg, Apr 10, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2017