1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Save Graduate Entry Medicine - I-Petition

Discussion in 'Site News' started by Womble83, May 12, 2011.

1. Womble83

Womble83 New Member

An I-Petition has been started to help sway the government to make tuition fee loans available to graduates starting medical degrees from 2012 onwards and to maintain the NHS bursary system to cover fees in years 2-4 for GEP and year 5 on undergrad courses. Without this support, studying medicine will be impossible for the vast majority of graduate students.

Please put your support behind this important cause and spread the word around your friends and family so there are as many signatures as possible on the petition.

Here is the link. Cheers

E-Petition to Save Graduate Entry Medicine

2. ethaniha

ethaniha New Member

Done :eek:)

3. ARTait85

ARTait85 New Member

This is fine, but there is no mention on this petition about those who want to pursue a 5 year, or even 6 year, course.

4. ARTait85

ARTait85 New Member

This is fine, but there is no mention on this petition about those who want to pursue a 5 year, or even 6 year, course.

We have to remember that 3k per year was an affordable (just!) amount for graduates, but 9k up front for 4/5/6 years is crazy talk; does this Government live in 'la-la' land. I couldn't afford to pay those fees and living costs from my current full-time job!

An exception has to be made for medicine! In certain countries, only graduates are permitted to apply to medicine...

5. Лигаментиа

Why necessarily from 2012 and not 11 ? I understand the tripling of the tuition fees and all but still, 3.3 k upfront +at least 6 k for living is quite unrealistic just on the 3-4 k maintenance loan (especially if you're straight from the university). Without any help/prior capital, in the current state of things you're essentially forced to work (at least for a year) prior to commencing on a GEP course after university.

Nevertheless, I hope that they wont scrap the years 2-4 funding, otherwise medicine will be a distant and unachievable goal by most graduates.

6. ARTait85

ARTait85 New Member

Don't get me wrong, scrapping any of the available funding for graduates is wrong; I make the point above that in certain places, only graduates can apply for medicine, which should surely show this government that value that graduates bring to medicine. But I think it's unfair to expect people only to the advanced courses: getting into a 5 or 6 year course is competitive enough!

For medicine, graduates should be able to borrow their tuition fees. And this business minded government should remember the fact that a graduate of medicine is probably more likely to re-pay what they owe!

7. Womble83

Womble83 New Member

Good points guys. I think the petition was supposed to be inclusive of 4, 5 and 6 year courses, but they may not have come across. I think the examples used were for the 4 year course as that is where the NHS bursary cut would have the biggest impact.

It sounds like the NHS bursary is still in place for 2011 starters so they shouldn't be affected by any of these changes.

Keep the signatures coming in. It need lots of support from as many people as possible for this to really pick up momentum.

8. Womble83

Womble83 New Member

9. Womble83

Womble83 New Member

939 signatures so far. Lets get the 1000 then keep going!