residency/ training in australia

Discussion in 'Australian Medical School Entry' started by osmosis, Nov 20, 2007.

1. osmosis

osmosis New Member

hi,

i'm planning to attend a uk medical school as a second degree and was wondering how one goes abotu applying for an australian residency or training post after finishing the mbbch in the uk. is it very difficult to get a spot? what happens after you finish qualfiying, are you thrown out?
    any advice would be appreciated.
    woudl you advise an international grad from the uk to go to the us or australia?

2. thoouth

thoouth New Member

Hi,

Information on this can be found here:

sBMJ | Higher training in the land down under

Beyond that, I suggest searching "medical training australia" and perusing some sites. Eventually you'll come across official RACP material supporting the above article and providing more details.

Jarrod

3. Methuselah

Methuselah New Member

4. thoouth

thoouth New Member

Ok, but NSW not= Australia.

5. Methuselah

Methuselah New Member

You're kidding youreself if you think it will be different anywhere else.

Rumour has it, <10 graduates in the ACT found internships this year. Tasmania is in a similar situation as is QLD.

If you want to check whether NSW not= Australia, look at the links I provided in my discussion which will take you to papers which break the situation down state by state.

Even local students, of which I am one, are worried. There's been marches and all that stuff you saw for MTAS. I'm not happy with the situation either, but the clear message is that Australian internship escape route to avoid all that MMC crap is near as damn it closed down.

EDITED to add these links:

eMJA: An urgent challenge: new training opportunities for junior medical officers

National Clinical Training Review

I boil these down for NSW. Feel free to do the sums across Australia and be sure to note that the numbers they play with exclude international graduates of Australian med schools. They don't even consider application from graduates of overseas med schools.

#5 Methuselah, Jul 26, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
  6. thoouth

thoouth New Member

I guess I must be wrongly assuming that because each state manages its own healthcare, then each state must also manage its own workforce requirements. Of course this doesn't preclude the possibility that all states are affected by this issue, which leaves me wondering:

what is going on that all states are independently encountering a shortfall in places for medical graduates.

I am admittedly largely ignorant of the Australian medical training system such that it is unclear what an "internship" actually entails (I always understood it to be the first year or two after graduation). Does this shortage also relate to a lack of training places as a less junior doctor - as I'm sure you are aware, there is no major shortage in F1/2 (formerly HO/SHO) posts in the UK - the problems with MTAS related almost exclusively to a shortage in the number of training posts available (ie jobs for people finishing their F2/SHO posts).

I am definitely disheartened to hear this sort of news coming out of Australia as I am quite keen to return home eventually, if only to avoid the obvious trap of the European Working Time Directive. Fortunately for me, this won't happen for another 4 years so I am not too worried (in a similar vein I suppose I needn't worry too much about the EWTD) but I do feel for anyone who is about to graduate in the UK or Australia.

7. Methuselah

Methuselah New Member

Fair and balanced comments, thoouth. FYI internships = F1F2, quite correct. BTW I don't mean to depress, just to make sure that false ideas of what's happening here aren't perpetuated. There's a "crisis' meeting a USYD soon for concerned international students.

Thing is, it is exactly because each State manages their own training and were equally unwilling and unable (due to sudden deficits) to admit this problem needed addressing that we're in this mess. As I say, we've had marches on Govt house and everything.

So, all the States (as you can see from the links I provided) are experiencing this shortfall. Underlying all this is the odd Federal / State split of healthcare we have which leads to all sorts of un-joined up govt.

The only time they have seemed to have managed to get their heads together was at the COAG meeting where the soft guarantee was made.

BTW there are a lot of other restrictions on practice for non-Australian med school grads other than this (eg no private / independent practice for 8 years or something silly - leads to lots of UK consultants taking academic posts, IIRC). That isn't my area of expertise so I will gladly stand corrected.

BTW as I'm sure you know the Woolongong course is basically the same as the Sheffield one... if you're really keen to come back here, perhaps a transfer there wouldn't be too tricky to pull off.

Good course, the Sheffield one, BTW.

8. thoouth

thoouth New Member

Ah I see of course! I have indeed heard of (at least in Qld) funding shortfalls and I should have realised these would be involved in the lack of places for graduates. I guess that answers my question regarding whether it applies to the less junior training posts (whatever they are called in Australia!)

I had wondered whether transfers are possible. I'm not entirely convinced that returning to Aus would be the wisest option (as I suspect I am just feeling frustrated with not being able to afford to take advantage of Europe now I'm a student again).

Regardless, you raise an interesting possibility and I guess I will have to look into it with some conviction now.

If you don't mind me asking, what's your story? I take it you started on a course over here and then transferred over there. I think my biggest concern is the lack of support one gets as a student in Australia (compared with the grants and student loans in the UK).

I'd really appreciate a bit of back-and-forth on this (you can PM me if you prefer).

9. Methuselah

Methuselah New Member

Sure - I won't be coming to this forum again but I'll pm you my email address.