1. Army medic

Army medic New Member

Would a current UCL student please post the 1st year reading list.

2. Spencer Wells

Spencer Wells Noodly Doctory Moderator

I'll just post the recommended books, the whole list is rather long:

Anatomy
    Dean, M.C & Pegigton, J. Core Anatomy for students. Vol 1 The limbs and vertebral column; Vol 2 The thorax, abdomen, pelvis and perineum. W B Saunders 1995

Biochemistry (one of)
    Bender, D.A. Introduction to Nutrition and Metabolism, 3rd edition, Taylor and Francis, 2002.
    Champe, P.C. & Harvey, R.A. Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews, Biochemistry, 2nd edition, Lippincott-Raven, 1994

Cancer Biology
    King RJB. Cancer Biology, 2nd edition. Peardon Education, 2000

Clinical Skills
    Epstein O. Clinical Examination, 3rd edition. Mosby, 2003

Communication Skills
    Lloyd M & Bor R. Communication skills for medicine. Churchill Livingstone, 1999

Ethics & Law
    Hope, T; Savulescu, J; Hendrick, J. Medical Ethics and Law: the core curriculum, Churchill Livingstone, 2003

Evaluation of Evdence
    Petrie A, Sabi C. Medical statistics at a glance. Blackwell Science, 2000

Histology
    Young, B. and Heath, J.W. Wheater's Functional Histology, 4th edition, Churchill-Livingstone, 2000

Pharmacology
    Rang, HP. Dale, MM. Ritter, JM. More, PK. Pharmacology, 5th Edition, Churchill-Livingstone,2003.
    (personally, I prefer "Basic and Clinical Pharmacology" by Katzung)

Neuroscience
    Kingsley, RE. Concise text of Neuroscience, 2nd edition. Lippincott, Williams and Wilkin, 2000
    (not needed until the 2nd year)

Physiology
    Pockock, G. & Richards, C.D. Human Physiology - the Basis of Medicine, Oford Universiy Press, 1999

Pathology
    Lakhani, S.R., Dilly, S.A., & Finlayson, C.J. Basic Pathology: An Introduction to the Mechanisms of Disease. 2nd ed, Edward Arnold, 1998

There are other books on the list, for microbiology, sociology, embryology, psychology etc. but none are recommended that you buy. There are, of course, multiple copies of all of these books in the libraries.

Hope it helps

SW

[edited by Spencer Wells to correct (obvious) spelling mistakes that would see him strung up by the dean if they saw the way that he misspelled her name (among others)]

3. Naxalite

Naxalite New Member

And how much is all this going to cost?!...

4. Shadow

Shadow New Member

Does the UCL medical department buy the recoommended books direct from the publishers and then sell them on for less than thr RRP to students?

The Physics department had this scheme in place during my first degree and it saved me alot of money.

5. Spencer Wells

Well for the 1st year, the absolute minimum books that I would reccommend are:

Bender, D.A. Introduction to Nutrition and Metabolism, 3rd edition, Taylor and Francis, 2002.
    £22.99

Dean, M.C & Pegigton, J. Core Anatomy for students. Vol 2 The thorax, abdomen, pelvis and perineum. W B Saunders 1995
    £15.99

Young, B. and Heath, J.W. Wheater's Functional Histology, 4th edition, Churchill-Livingstone, 2000
    £38.99

Pockock, G. & Richards, C.D. Human Physiology - the Basis of Medicine, Oford Universiy Press, 1999
    £35

giving a grand total of £112.97

Having a look at my bookshelf, I've spent £347.95, but I only need to get 1 more book for next year (a £50 neuroscience atlas)

It does add up, yes, there will of course be more books to buy for the Sc year, and then for the clinical years (though I don't think that you can go far wrong with a copy of Kumar and Clark.) And then you have to buy a stethoscope (circa £50 for a Littmann Clasic 2SE of £100 for a Cardiology III) and ophthalmoscope (£???)

And then there are the travelling costs of placements.

Noone ever said that medicine was going to be cheap.

SW

6. Naxalite

Naxalite New Member

:( i already have to fork out £4000 of my student loan for my accom. tis going to be VERY had to live in london as i don't want to depend on my parents for money... surely there are plenty of second hand copies available out there?

7. Spencer Wells

We were emailed earlier this year explaining that RUMS students are able to get a special discount at Blackwells, but I didn't pay much attention and deleted it.

Checking the notice boards there are loads of 2nd hand copies floating about, but it might be worth checking out amazon.co.uk, as they have a 2nd hand book store. Also, the Waterstones next to UCL (supposedley the largest academic bookstore in Europe) run a 15% discount week during the second week of Freshers' fortnight, which is always worth checking out.

Unfortunately the faculty does not sell books at subsidised prices - most of the books on the list are written by our lecturers and on their meagre sallaries they are loking to get all of the money that they can.

SW

8. spk76

spk76 New Member

If I absolutely had to get one of the following books before term starts, which would you recommend?

1. Wheater's Functional Histology, 4th edn. Young and Heath, 2000.

2. Pharmacology, 5th edn. Rang et al. 2003.

3. Clinical Medicine, 5th edn. Kumar and Clark, 2002 (not in the official Phase 1 reading list but seems to be a standard text everywhere else).

4. Human Embryology and Developmental Biology, 3rd edn. Carlson, 2004.

Thanks.

9. Spencer Wells

Personally I'd go for the Rang Dale & Ritter Pharmacology. But, I think that for 2004 entry, the course has changed so that all pharmacology is taught in the 2nd year, and all sociology taught in the 1st. If this is the case (I'm 90% sure it is) then, unless you're really keen, a pharmacology book wouldn't be much use. You also need to understand a bit of biochemistry first. Of course being a grad type you probably know your stuff already.
    For histology and embryology clases, the uni try to sell you their own cds. They actually contain most of the stuff that you'll need in the first year. I suggest that a group of friends put money together (they're about £10 each,) buy a copy, and then just copy the disk and distribute to those that contributed. Saying that, both a difficult subjects, embryology especially so, and embryology really helps with anatomy, especially when it comes to the abdomen. It might help to get a headstart in this subject therefore.
    Kumar and Clark is an interesting read, but you won't need it much until the clinical years. It does help in amalgamating the knowledge that you've learned and adds a clinical spin on the basic medical sciences, making them far more interesting, and the newer editions incorporate a cd rom. Then again, you don't really want to be buying a new edition in 2 years time.
    I'm having trouble deciding. hmmmm.
    If you want to get the jump on your classmates before term starts, go for the embryology. If you want to learn something that is actually interesting, go for the Kumar and Clark.

Nick

10. spk76

spk76 New Member

Thanks for the detailed response. I think I'm going to plump for Kumar and Clark!

11. Mark82

Mark82 New Member

i've been wondering about whether to get text books in advance, mainly cos i've had an op on my knee and am bored out of my mind doing nothing all day.

is it just best to leave it until term starts, i dont really want to shell out 35 quid on something that might not be as important as other books

12. spk76

spk76 New Member

Wait until term starts. Then you can take a look at the books in the library, discuss amongst your peers etc. to decide which books you really need to buy, which you can borrow/photocopy, and which one you can go without. You certainly do not need to do any pre-reading before you start.

One tip, though: Crash Course books. They are a life saver, and you'll never find them on any recommended reading list.

My best books:

Basic Histology: Text and Atlas - Junqueira & Carneiro
    Introduction to Nutrition and Metabolism - Bender
    Instant Notes in Immunology - Lydyard, Whelan & Fanger
    Medical Ethics and Law - Hope, Savulescu & Hendrick
    Notes on Medical Microbiology - Timbury, Ward, Thakker & McCartney
    Biochemistry (Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews) Champe & Harvey
    McMinn's Color Atlas of Human Anatomy - Abrahams, Marks & Hutchings

13. Mark82

Mark82 New Member

cheers for that. i just figured that if there were a couple of books that I'd definitely have to get at the beginning of term, I may as well get them now. I've already done a degree in biochem and genetics, so I'm covered text book-wise for those subjects

14. spk76

spk76 New Member

You really will need Bender's Nutrition book. Dr Bender is the man, and most of the Foundation and Nutrition modules are based on his lectures and his book. Many of the exam questions basically require you to reproduce word for word what's in his book and/or recognise figures, charts, tables and biochemical pathways that have come straight out of the pages of his book.

If you've already done a lot of biochem before, you will be at a considerable advantage over your peers but don't get complacent.
    What I find disturbing is that when I read Bender's book, I can almost hear his voice in my head reading the words aloud. But that's probably just me...

15. Mark82

Mark82 New Member

if i'm going to get told that its highly recommended that i buy the nutrition book when i start, then i may as well get it now. no harm, eh? what about anatomy, is there any one book that they recommend?

i'll try not get to get complacent with the biochem, i cant remember much of it anyway. and it may well be just you...!

16. spk76

spk76 New Member

We are recommended to get the Dean and Peggington books for anatomy.

Since D&P is mostly just basic text and b&w figures, it may be helpful to get a more explanatory textbook, such as Gray's or Grants (student editions), although I didn't bother. The anatomy book that was of the greatest benefit was McMinn's, since it is the only one that has such extensive colour photos of real cadavers. But none of these books will make much sense until you actually get into the dissection room and do, look and learn for yourself. It is also incredibly helpful to make extra-curricular visits to the DR, so that you can get some one-on-one tuition from the staff there and get to go over and reinforce what you've learnt in the classes.

But you won't even start chopping up cadavers until the new year.

17. Mark82

Mark82 New Member

ok, thanks for all of that. i've got old versions of gray's and other books lying around the house cos my mum's a GP. think i'll get the nutrition one and one of the D&P ones. what stage are you at, just out of interest

18. spk76

spk76 New Member

You will need vol 2 of D&P (thorax and abdomen).

I've just completed the first year (as a 29-year-old grad).

19. Naxalite

Naxalite New Member

Spk posted this list:

Basic Histology: Text and Atlas - Junqueira & Carneiro
    Introduction to Nutrition and Metabolism - Bender
    Instant Notes in Immunology - Lydyard, Whelan & Fanger
    Medical Ethics and Law - Hope, Savulescu & Hendrick
    Notes on Medical Microbiology - Timbury, Ward, Thakker & McCartney
    Biochemistry (Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews) Champe & Harvey
    McMinn's Color Atlas of Human Anatomy - Abrahams, Marks & Hutchings

To be honest, forget half that stuff. All you need is Bender, Pocock, dean and pennington and an anatomy atlas (if you like anatomy)

Forget about histology, turn up to the sessions do a little work and you are fine. I didn't even bothered learning histology for my first year (or embryology, i did one lecture and gave up)

Don't bother much about benders lectures, he is quite funny and useful but lets face it, it is ALL in his book and after a late night (there will be MANY) you don't really want to be in lectures.

Medical ethics?... WTF?!! did we even do that?... forget buying medical ethics books, immunology or biochem books. The library is the place to be, go to the BOLDERO LIBRARY, no one knows where it is and you can get standard loans on all books.

Don't waste money on books, the first year is a joke... party hard turn up to the sessions to sign in and read lecture handouts and slides, do a moderate amount of reading and you are SORTED

20. BeerMonster

BeerMonster New Member

hey dude - u must be one super genius to not turn up to lectures, not buy any books just party hard and still pass the first year. i bet you were in the library til all hours, were at every lecture, didn't go to one party, were in bed (always your own) by 9pm and worked your arse off to pass the year!