1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Re-taking A Level for Graduate Medicine?

Discussion in 'Mature Students' started by banker22, Jun 22, 2015.

1. banker22

banker22 New Member

All

As my chemistry a-level is over 7 years old, I would need to re-take the four paper (not practical) exams to be considered for Cambridge grad entry medicine.

If I retake this exam and don't do well, what is the worst case scenario? Would other graduate entry programs see this and would it reflect poorly on me? Is retaking the a-level to have a chance at Cambridge worth the potential for reducing my chances at all of the schools?

I am fully confident I could do very well in the exams, but my work hours are very intense and unpredictable, and I could not guarantee full attention for the 4 exams over 4 weeks that are required.

Thank you!

2. vmed

vmed New Member

Hi Banker22,

I suppose you're a banker. It's funny, me too I was one and me too I had my eye on Cambridge and me too I thought of taking A level in chemistry. When I asked them, they told me A2 chemistry was enough, so 2 papers only and I needed an A. But I got a B, but it didn't prevent me from applying to other graduate programmes, I just didn't mention my A level because it didn't add anything onto my application. And good news, I'm gonna start med school in September. So, worst case scenario, you can still end up in a med school ;)!
    Good luck with it though

3. banker22

banker22 New Member

Thanks for this!

Did you self-study or use a class?

Congrats on med school - where did you get in?

4. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

Are you sure your A-Level has to be within 7 years? I just thought you had to show evidence of some type of academic study within 7 years. That's how it was when I applied, but that was about 6 years ago.

Also, why not apply for other courses while prep for Cambridge. Grad med is fiercely competitive with lots of high calibre applicants, like you viing for just a few places. It's best not to put all your eggs in one basket. You could always defer a place if you still want a shot at Cambridge.

5. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

PS Oxbridge doesn't hold the same prestige in medical circles...

6. vmed

vmed New Member

I am going to Swansea :)

I hired a private tutor for chemistry because it's been so LONG and he was really helpful. Then for bio, physics i self studied, using youtube a lot and a level books.

7. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

I did chem self study, and its HARD! A tutor may be helpful. Its getting a decent one which is the challenge. Anyone can bill themselves as a tutor, but there are more crap ones than good ones.

8. coolrunnings

coolrunnings New Member

Hi there - which private tutor did you use vmed?

9. Iona1

Iona1 New Member

When you say you did Chem self study, how did you do the practicals? Do you need to do the practicals to get the A Level Qualification? Are the practicals the most important part for GEM?

10. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

At the time all the A-level chem syllabus's had practicals, which I took as a paid course at a local private school with other people self studying.

I think this has changed now.

The practicals have zero value to medicine, other than they are required for the A-level, which is needed at some Uni's.