1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rates of pay Fy1

Discussion in 'PRHO and Foundation Years (FY1 and FY2)' started by leapfrog, Dec 17, 2006.

1. leapfrog

leapfrog New Member

Does anyone have any kind of idea how much we will be paid as FY1's. Obviously it will depend upon the banding, but generally what kind of salary can an FY1 expect?

Leapfrog
    5th Yr Leicester

2. Face

Face New Member

Anything from 25k-38k

3. rjm

rjm New Member

I think that is going to be a lot less next year, alot of jobs will be unbanded or on 20% banding and therefore pay will be 22-29K. Few will be 2A (not many exist now so 38K is unlikely).

4. _::unknown___

_::unknown___ New Member

I thought first years started of on 20k and it went up from there.. i dont know maybe i'm wrong..

5. M Clayton

M Clayton Moderator type bloke

We'd been given the figure of approx 22k basic with a multiplier that depends on the banding of the job.

6. Huw

Huw New Member

isn't there a thread on this somewhere?

7. joyabbott

joyabbott Super Moderator

Basic is 20,700 ish. Bandings are unlikely to be more than 50% per job, and probably a lot less, as most trusts are aiming towards EWTD. There are some unbanded house officer jobs (Some trusts this applies to ALL jobs - ie you do no oncalls/weekends/nights). Others have unbanded specialities like paeds/anaesthetics where you're supernumerary.

Mortgages etc are based on base salary alone.

8. DrPie

DrPie New Member

*sniff*

9. FionaS

FionaS New Member

Basic rate of pay this year is £20,295. Which is what you get if you're unbanded/supernumery.

Band 1B - Multiply by 1.4
    Band 1A and 2B - Multiply by 1.5
    Band 2A - Multiply by 1.8

Band 3 (which is illegal and no one is allowed to work anymore) - mulitply by 2.

In the West Midlands most foundation jobs are 1A or 2B at the moment, but they do want to downband a bunch of jobs. Whether that gets anywhere in the near future, who knows?

10. DrPie

DrPie New Member

My boyfriend's first rotation was a Band 3. Very rare now

11. exon16m

exon16m New Member

Basically the pay is rubbish... 6 years at med school 30k dept ... you are not even going to cover the interest on student loan with the basic repayment esp as inflation is increasing so the interest rate.

Bottom line you will be renting for a long time especially if accommodation is withdrawn for fy1.

12. DrPie

DrPie New Member

Its not that depressing

13. exon16m

exon16m New Member

DrPie

is that a joke?

14. DrPie

DrPie New Member

Not at all

Im quite serious and Im in far greater debt than 30k

15. Brooke

Brooke New Member

It's not as bad as the $250,000 debt my American friends are in from studying through medical school... and the fact they have to pay it back immediately whether or not they get a job...

16. DrPie

DrPie New Member

aye, exactly!

However doctors do get paid considerably more over there once they've reached Attending. Im in the US at the mo.

17. exon16m

exon16m New Member

To be honest the states get much much better pay later, nobody would take on that level of debt with out pay off.

However here in the UK MMC is destroying medicine and pay.

Previously you would have a banding to your pay meaning that you could get about £32,000 for the 1st year, that will fall back to 20k.

Currently you get paid depending on how long you have worked. This will also be stopped.

They are restricting access to training and increasing the number of people who will never make senior grades.

... so in the end what do you have ... a poorly paid job (compared to what most medical school graduates could make else where... yes its better than if you worked checkout at a petrol station.. probably) AND you have to work unsociable hours. GREAT.

Dr Pie

If your student loan is more than 30k ... have you thought what date you will still be paying it off... or if you ever will .... especialy if pay keeps falling... and inflation grows (your intrest rate)

#17 exon16m, Jan 19, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2007
  18. DrPie

DrPie New Member

Having amounted such a large amount of debt I obviously did think about how long it would take me to pay it off (normally, people dont take out bank loans without giving it serious consideration). And no- the inflation is not my interest rate as part of that debt is from the bank: so the interest is their APR. The student loan portion is of course based on inflation.... but should I ever lose my job (and earn nothing, or less than £15,000 or whatever the cut off is) I wont have to pay that back. And even when you do pay it back the amount each month is minimal. Student loans do not concern me. Bank loans, of course do.

I have arranged to make payments back over 9 years. I anticipate paying this off sooner, hopefully. While hours and indeed banding is dropping as a result of the EWTD (which is one of the main reasons the MMC was introduced) my first job will be banded and I will have accommodation in the hospital. As first year house officers, or FY1s you will be entitled to free hospital accommodation- I doubt if this will change (they will struggle to change this). Also with each year you train you will gain a pay rise. So from Fy1 to Fy2 your earnings will go up by £5000. So even if the salary of a junior (FY1) doctor becomes the basic £20,000 it wont remain at this.

I do agree with you exon though, that the MMC is messing everything up! But those who are current SHO grades (and those who came over from overseas) have been the most screwed over. Heres hoping that when banding does disappear which I dont believe will be this year or the next- that the basic salary will increase to in some way compensate. Medicine is not a 9-5 job and its ridiculous that they're trying to make it that way.

19. Vazzyb

Vazzyb New Member

Hold on, how can anyone justify changing pay from £32,000 to £20,000 for the same amount of work? It sounds ridiculous...

20. theicemaiden

theicemaiden Super Moderator

In theory its not the same amount of work... the £32,000 included more nights/weekends/overtime. £20,000 (and my reliable source suggests that it should be £24,000 on average) will be for a standard 40 hour week. In theory. Its the in practice bit when you end up doing the overtime for free that gets annoying...